does this scope make my barrel look big?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JFB

Hunter
I was disappointed the Lipsy 6.5 Swede "African" did not come with express sights, so I thought I would mount a scope.

I am partial to the Leupold VariXIII 1.5-5X20's. I got a #3 ring to exchange with the #5(& #4) that came with the rifle so I could go low but not sure this scope looks proper.

Comments.

8CIRVHv.jpg

Snake45

Hawkeye
I think it looks fine, but you could go a step lower if bolt handle clearance will allow.

JFB

Hunter
thanks...

from what I can gather the #3 is the lowest ring Ruger makes. this has the the center of scope to bore at 1.54"

The bolt handle clears the bell by just about 1/8", thus have to use open hand to cycle

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
I would have to say you are spot on. Very sweet set-up. Good choice of scope. Scope height is a very personal thing, What works for you is what's right.

JFB

Hunter
while there is not that much lead way with height, I like to verify MY fit (and eye relief) by picking a targer, closing eyes, shouldering and adjust for a good scope view when I open eyes

ruger srh44/454

Bearcat
I don't think it makes the barrel look big. If it was my rifle I would try to find rings that mount the scope lower to the barrel. Great choice for a scope. In my neck of the woods you don't see the gold ring much in the woods or at the ranges. I own 7 Leupold scopes-can't argue with quality, lifetime warranty, and the fact their assembled in USA.

jgt

Buckeye
Haha! I liked it. Some folks just don't appreciate humor. Oh well it is the internet. If you can see the target without climbing the stock or moving your head when the rifle is shouldered then you are would be hard pressed to do any better.

rangerbob

Buckeye
JFB, I always swap out the #5 ring for a #3 on my M77's. That's as low as one can go using Ruger rings. There may be some aftermarket rings that are lower, but as always, the front ring has to be .125" lower(shorter) than the rear ring. Leupold makes or did make a set of lower rings for the #1, Mini's, and M77/22, but, of course, they(each one) are the same height. They work fine on the Mini's and 77/22. Bob! 8)

rangerbob

Buckeye
My 6.5 x 55 African looks like(is) a M70 Featherweight with factory iron sights and a barrel band swivel. Bob!! :D

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Since you asked, I guess I am the one dissenting opinion. If my rifle, I would much prefer a longer scope with a bigger bell, your smaller scope I think is ideal for RSI Rugers. JMO

egl52

Single-Sixer
I think a scope like that looks just right on an "African" rifle. These are meant to emulate dangerous game rifles, which typically wear low-power scopes if they have a scope at all. While it might be nice to mount it even lower, assuming you could find lower rings, there's no way the bolt handle would clear the eyepiece, so it's perfect as-is, in my opinion.