Extra barrel assembly for PC Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mikein

Single-Sixer
I asked Ruger if they had plans to offer just a barrel assembly, in case a customer wanted to keep a suppressor on one barrel so they could just snap one on in case the situation arose where suppressed fire would be better. Ruger rep said they had no plans to do so in the foreseeable future:

Mike,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Our manufacturing lines are balanced, so we only make one of every part for each gun at a time. We would have to plan for additional barrels. Given the popularity of the gun, and its resultant backlog, we don't see additional capacity being available for the foreseeable future.

Best regards,

Mark Gurney

5of7

Hunter
If they only make one of each part for every gun, that means there is no selection of parts during the assembly process. That doesn't sound right to me. 8)

9x19

Hunter
A silencer with a QD mount vs direct thread might be a simpler solution.

Joe S.

Hunter
I bet (hope) someone is at least going to offer an integrally suppressed assembly for them.

wesm

Bearcat
I am anticipating that sometime soon, either Ruger or a third party will begin offering all of the pieces necessary to swap calibers in this rifle. One of the reviews I read online about it mentioned that the gun seems designed for convertability. You would need to swap the magwell adapter, barrel assembly, and bolt face (separate from the actual bolt in this gun) to go to say a 40 cal carbine. And you might possibly have to swap the bolt damper thingamajiggy too (I forgot what that's called).

Lots of online demand for a PC carbine in 10mm from what I've seen. One would think 40 S&W and/or 45 acp shouldn't be too far away.

My only thing is I wonder if the cost of purchasing these conversion parts, once you add them up, would approach the cost of another complete carbine purchase..

22/45 Fan

Hunter
5of7 said:
If they only make one of each part for every gun, that means there is no selection of parts during the assembly process. That doesn't sound right to me. 8)
It means they make matching numbers of parts, e.g., if they are going to make 5,000 guns they make 5,000 barrels. It doesn't mean each part is specific to one gun.

grobin

Blackhawk
A 10" barrel needs a bunch of BATFE paperwork and a $200 excise stamp for a short barreled rifle. Unless the hearing protection act gets some traction the integral suppressor barrel would need the same.

Looks like the receiver might take a 300BLK which would be great! A 10mm conversion would be easy as well. I can't see why it couldn't be engineered to take a rimmed cartridge say 460 S&W. But I would expect the conversion parts to be ~1/2 the price of a new PCC. BTW would chambering for WMR mean it would become the RRC or if for the 300 BLK would it be the RCRC?

Joe S.

Hunter
Yea but a 10" bbl or intergral suppressor would so be worth it for this rifle.

I don't believe it is long enough for those other calibers you mention.

Wes, if you rechambered for 40 S&W, i believe you could use the same Glock magwell.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Ruger is selling every PCC they make and as they say are backlogged. At sometime in the future when everybody who wants one has one they may start adding variations and accessories. in the mean time it is what it is.

Kanook

Buckeye
grobin said:
A 10" barrel needs a bunch of BATFE paperwork and a $200 excise stamp for a short barreled rifle. Unless the hearing protection act gets some traction the integral suppressor barrel would need the same.
Make a Charger version for no ATF and call it the Ruger PCP (pistol caliber pistol) it's addicting.

grobin

Blackhawk
The pistol would fall a foul of the same problem that Aero has with their rifle/pistols. If you were to put the pistol barrel on the rifle you would now have an illegal short rifle and a potential of prison time. That would apply if you just happened to have a pistol barrel, a rifle and no pistol receiver; even if you have a rifle barrel!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
grobin said:
The pistol would fall a foul of the same problem that Aero has with their rifle/pistols. If you were to put the pistol barrel on the rifle you would now have an illegal short rifle and a potential of prison time. That would apply if you just happened to have a pistol barrel, a rifle and no pistol receiver; even if you have a rifle barrel!
That could be handled just like T/C does with their single shots. You register the "rifle" as a pistol when you buy it. You can then substitute the shorter barrel and pistol stock on the same receiver. As long as you don't assemble the short barrel and full size stock on the receiver at the same time you are legal. I did that with a T/C Encore I once owned. It was a full length rifle in .223W but registered it as a pistol so I could convert it if I ever wanted to.

That said, it will be awhile before Ruger offers caliber and length variations as they are swamped with demand for the PCC as it is. It will happen after the initial rush dies down.

One accessory that may show up soon is an improved trigger since the PCC trigger is very similar to the 10/22 and a lot of companies know how to modify them. The PCC's OEM trigger is much better than most stock 10/22 triggers but could use some improvement too.