AR-15 556

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Katz

Bearcat
Picked up a used one....got to shoot it yesterday....my only AR experience.....but I am very impressed....now that allusive pc9 carbine 8)

daveg.inkc

Hunter
My experience with Mini 14. AR 556 is that I get great accuracy with M855 NATO rounds, reloading with the same bullet,62 gr Green tip, 69 -77 gr HPBT Sierras. And I use a variety of powders. Just what I prefer to shoot. These heavier projectiles tear my steel targets up. More energy. I weld and repair them often! Find M193-55 gr. And buy a box of M855-62 gr. see how you like them. Wal-Mart, Bass Pro carry them. Lake City Plant is here in Independence, MO.

daveg.inkc said:
Jeepnik said:
Good range toys, but never something to bet one's life on.
What? My AR 556 is very accurate. Very reliable. You don't own one?

I own one. It was a gift from my boys. They wanted to convince me that they are much better than the M-16 (original) that tried to get me killed. Funny thing is the eldest did his third tour in the middle east in Afghanistan. He found out the puny 5.56 just wasn't right for that terrain. He "found" an M-14 (just like I did) and was quite happy with it.

Funny how history repeats itself and proves facts that folks have forgotten.

lgriff1968

Bearcat
Jeepnik said:
daveg.inkc said:
Jeepnik said:
Good range toys, but never something to bet one's life on.
What? My AR 556 is very accurate. Very reliable. You don't own one?

I own one. It was a gift from my boys. They wanted to convince me that they are much better than the M-16 (original) that tried to get me killed. Funny thing is the eldest did his third tour in the middle east in Afghanistan. He found out the puny 5.56 just wasn't right for that terrain. He "found" an M-14 (just like I did) and was quite happy with it.

Funny how history repeats itself and proves facts that folks have forgotten.

"Good range toys, but never something to bet one's life on."
This statement is half right by objective evidence, and half subjective.

Today's rifles and ammunition are certainly not the same originally issued and carried in Nam. I love(d) the M-14 too (USMC 1964-68 3rd MarDiv), but find the rifles and round are more then I want and need for personal self-defense today. Military combat and hunting are different. The referenced jungle and desert combat, each present their own unique environmental and situational conditions (as does hunting) which may or may not, be relevant as to whether a particular rifle or round is adequate to bet one's life on. Realistically for me this means home defense, but possibly something else such as encounters with vicious/feral animals while woods walking, fence running and livestock/crop husbandry.

One should chose a firearm and caliber for a particular use, considering individual facts and circumstances, and examples representative of the choices commonly recognized as sufficient for a particular task(s) by enthusiasts and private/governmental entities. Civilian active self-defense, by its' nature is combat, and, may have its' own unique extremes in environment and conditions, but most are not representative of military combat situations. I submit the statement and conclusion that the rifle and round should be discounted as an adequate civilian self-defense platform is based on personal preference and bias, not fact, logic and modern evidence. Theoretically, I bet my life every day on a lessor round, the 9mm.

Regards.

gunzo

Hunter
MoPrepper said:
Today's rifles and ammunition are certainly not the same originally issued and carried in Nam. I love(d) the M-14 too (USMC 1964-68 3rd MarDiv), but find the rifles and round are more then I want and need for personal self-defense today. Military combat and hunting are different. The referenced jungle and desert combat, each present their own unique environmental and situational conditions (as does hunting) which may or may not, be relevant as to whether a particular rifle or round is adequate to bet one's life on. Realistically for me this means home defense, but possibly something else such as encounters with vicious/feral animals while woods walking, fence running and livestock/crop husbandry.

One should chose a firearm and caliber for a particular use, considering individual facts and circumstances, and examples representative of the choices commonly recognized as sufficient for a particular task(s) by enthusiasts and private/governmental entities. Civilian active self-defense, by its' nature is combat, and, may have its' own unique extremes in environment and conditions, but most are not representative of military combat situations. I submit the statement and conclusion that the rifle and round should be discounted as an adequate civilian self-defense platform is based on personal preference and bias, not fact, logic and modern evidence. Theoretically, I bet my life every day on a lessor round, the 9mm.

Regards.

Good brain food right there.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
daveg.inkc said:
Katz do you reload? With the 1:8 twist, these like the 62 gr and up.
My Ruger American and Ruger Gunsite Scout, both in .223/5.56 and with 1:8 twists like 55 grain bullets just fine. They are particularly fond of Sierra 55 gr SPBT and group at or under 1 moa.

I think the concept of "overstabilization" using a fast twist with lighter bullets is a bit obsolete as modern bullets are much better made and more concentric that they were in the past.

hickoryhillbill

Single-Sixer
Jeepnik when I read your post I laughed out loud. My son and daughter are both active Army and asked me why I didn't have an AR. I tell them M16 don't like me it tried to get me killed several times. Mini 14 and 30, JRA m14 and H&R M1 garand is whats in my safe. Love the action.

lgriff1968

Bearcat
hickoryhillbill said:
Jeepnik when I read your post I laughed out loud. My son and daughter are both active Army and asked me why I didn't have an AR. I tell them M16 don't like me it tried to get me killed several times. Mini 14 and 30, JRA m14 and H&R M1 garand is whats in my safe. Love the action.
Remember guys, Katz says he is a first time AR platform owner. I would venture to say he does not have a safe full of firearms that he "loves". We all have our preferences and opinion(s), as well as means.

hickoryhillbill - your colorful repartee is not useful or relevant in a discussion/review of modern, current day Armalite platform rifles. If you want to discuss the history of the problems that occurred and remedies made (chrome chamber, powder change, forward assist etc.), or in particular, your personal experience(s), that would be more informative and useful for the young enthusiasts to the genre. Those of us who lived it, know what the problems with the rifle(s) were, as well as the problems with operator care/maintenance.

I too like the Garand platform rifles, but that is not the issue; my AR556 is reliable, and more useful/practical for my current day purpose(s).

Regards

hickoryhillbill said:

Kids have no since of history.

MoPrepper said:
hickoryhillbill said:
Remember guys, Katz says he is a first time AR platform owner. I would venture to say he does not have a safe full of firearms that he "loves". We all have our preferences and opinion(s), as well as means.

hickoryhillbill - your colorful repartee is not useful or relevant in a discussion/review of modern, current day Armalite platform rifles. If you want to discuss the history of the problems that occurred and remedies made (chrome chamber, powder change, forward assist etc.), or in particular, your personal experience(s), that would be more informative and useful for the young enthusiasts to the genre. Those of us who lived it, know what the problems with the rifle(s) were, as well as the problems with operator care/maintenance.

I too like the Garand platform rifles, but that is not the issue; my AR556 is reliable, and more useful/practical for my current day purpose(s).

Regards

Wow, such a kind and gentle way to respond to another member. Heck, I said about the same thing earlier in the thread. I suppose my opinion of the M16 is just as invalid as Bill's.

Then again kids always know more that older guys with actual experience. Well, that is until they actually get some experience.

lgriff1968

Bearcat
Jeepnik said:
hickoryhillbill said:

Kids have no since of history.
That is an interesting observation, although rather broad and vague. Young men and women today, deserve an unbiased, objective, contextual presentation of history. If used, anecdotes and one-liners should be of historical significance/value, in context and free of hyperbole.

The "kids", of 50 years ago, participated in the making of the evolutionary history of the Stoner platform. Then, and now, young men and women have participated in the history and development of the longest running regular issue military small arm in American history. It is currently used by domestic police forces and many foreign police and military forces.

Does it fill the need(s) for all situations that may arise, no, what small arm does, or ever has? Today's M16/M4 platform(s), with modern optics and ammunition, is a reliable, durable and effective/lethal combination for defensive and most offensive combat application(s). In some offensive situations, it is often augmented by other "special" weapons. That is the nature of the beast. Will the current model(s) be replaced, probably, but not disappear.

Private self-defense by civilians is very subjective. Consequently, those new to any aspect of buying, owning and using a firearm, need current, objective information for this personal and serious matter.

Regards

lgriff1968

Bearcat
Jeepnik said:
Kids also can't comprehend sarcasm either. Use what you prefer. I will use what I know works. Experience is truly the best teacher.
I have never suggested you, or anyone else, use or not use one particular weapon or caliber,You sir did; "Good range toys, but never something to bet one's life on." History and fact(s) say you are wrong in that statement.

If you had said; "Good range toys, but never something I would bet my life on", that is an objective and honest statement.

Then above you state; "Use what you prefer. I will use what I know works.", how condescending!

You may very well disregard the weapon and platform for whatever reason(s) you want, that does not make it right for anyone else. Being far from kid status, I learned a long time ago that longevity in life and experience does not necessarily equate to being right. Enough of the old fart member measuring now.

Regards

Latest posts