1970 .44 mag carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

budshad

Bearcat
Hi guys. New member here (l followed protocol and posted in the new member forum) that has a 44 carbine that I got for next to nothing. As I said in my hello everybody thread I'd like to post a few pictures of it to get yalls opinions of potential value. Its for pure enjoyment of knowledge. Im not selling it. I always love it when i buy something that both me and the seller know about the item but I got the " Go ahead young feller it's yours. Gimme $200 for it and shoot me one of them Jones County deers." So without further jabber jaw I'd like you guys opinions. Dont hammer me too hard if this type of question is frowned upon. I can put my big boy pants on and drop it if it is. Lol. Thanks in advance for any and all guesses, valuations, determinations. Oh btw. Someone told me it wasn't smart to show the serial number hence the blue tape. Is that true? Why? Also according to the hidden serial, Rugers website declres this gun made in 1970. Can someone tell me how to add about 6-10 pics?

budshad

Bearcat
Can anyone tell me briefly how to upload pictures on here? This new internet thing has thrown me for a loop. I haven't the first clue of how to take the pictures on my phone and upload them here to this here thread.

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
budshad said:
Can anyone tell me briefly how to upload pictures on here? This new internet thing has thrown me for a loop. I haven't the first clue of how to take the pictures on my phone and upload them here to this here thread.

Find someone under 40 to help you with that.

pete44ru

Hunter

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest you read a few of the threads (like: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=265287 ) about free pic-hosting websites like Imgur.com, picturetrail.com, postimage.org, flickr.com, etc, etc.

Basically, the pics on your digi camera are uploaded to the hosting site, then re-sized to a format suitable for forum posting before copying each pic's direct url for pasting in a thread.

( FYI: I do it, and I haven't been under 40 for over 35 years ;) )

The best way to determine a current (not whenever) value for your .44 Carbine would be to surf ONLY sold/closed online guns-only websites, to find another .44 Carbine in the same condition as yours, to find out what somebody has recently been willing to pay.

Remember, auction "opening bids", "buy it now", and other unsold dollar amounts are NOT a value - they are merely what some seller wants for it.

budshad

Bearcat
OK. I'll have to find out how. I'm so proud. I just got through putting exactly 50 bullets through it. Took ony 3 to zero it in because of my Wheeler magnetic bore sighter (that thing is awesome) and was shooting 1-2 inch groups at 138 yds. That's how far away I can get from my targets on my property. I don't just do 25, 50, 100 yds. Lol. I go all the way. I'm amazed at its accuracy. I'm definitely no Tom Horn but this gun makes me look like him.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The 44 Carbine and the Mark I pistol is what got Sturm Ruger Co. really going in the gun business.

There is actually lots of demand for those old carbines. There are also several variations.

budshad

Bearcat
Hopefully this will work for posting the quick snaps I took of my gun.
https://imgur.com/gallery/fvjbe

COWTOWNER

Single-Sixer
You have a 'keeper'. It is just like mine, in condition and with a scope. However on mine, I've added a 'recoil pad' to compensate for a very badly broken shoulder from long ago.
I've had mine since new since Nov. 1967. It is a fun gun to shoot!!

Thanks

Mike

Buckshot Bill

Bearcat
That one is a real beauty! It's my understanding that they're only supposed to be fired with jacketed slugs if you re-load for it. [Something about lead bullets "gumming" up the gas system?]
Perhaps forum members with more knowledge about this than me can explain it better.
At any rate, that is one I'd be proud to own!
Bill

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
COWTOWNER said:
However on mine, I've added a 'recoil pad' to compensate for a very badly broken shoulder from long ago.

Thanks

Mike

Ummm.... he has a recoil pad on his too. I have one on mine.

budshad

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for the supernice comments about my carbine. I do wear a limbsaver on it because it helps me with the flinching effect. I still cant shoot a fifle without flinching a bit. Ive been shooting various rifles up to the mule kicking 45-70 cartridge for 30 years. Pistol is a different story. But im super proud of this find and I really appreciate your nice words. Everyone.

budshad

Bearcat
JFB said:
that is a GREAT looking gun.

to me, one in that shape is the H Grail and has eluded me for decades.

Wow!! Really? It's the first one I've ever come by. Didn't even know it existed. Bought the gun just like it is in pictures. With the help of YouTube I totally took it apart with appropriate tools and even the blued underside is perfect. I was blown away at its coolness.

budshad

Bearcat
Buckshot Bill said:
That one is a real beauty! It's my understanding that they're only supposed to be fired with jacketed slugs if you re-load for it. [Something about lead bullets "gumming" up the gas system?]
Perhaps forum members with more knowledge about this than me can explain it better.
At any rate, that is one I'd be proud to own!
Bill

Thank you sir. Thats what I shoot in it.

budshad

Bearcat
COWTOWNER said:
You have a 'keeper'. It is just like mine, in condition and with a scope. However on mine, I've added a 'recoil pad' to compensate for a very badly broken shoulder from long ago.
I've had mine since new since Nov. 1967. It is a fun gun to shoot!!

Thanks

Mike

Yes sir. I have a limbsaver on it. I took it off so that yall could see the buttplate and how it was in almost great condition. No dents with little wear. The rifling is perfect and I know because I stuck one of those telescopic cameras down it. Thank you for the reply.

budshad

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
The 44 Carbine and the Mark I pistol is what got Sturm Ruger Co. really going in the gun business.

There is actually lots of demand for those old carbines. There are also several variations.

Tthanks for your reply. Variations? Like what? Im not questioning you. Im wanting knowledge.

budshad

Bearcat
budshad said:
Hopefully this will work for posting the quick snaps I took of my gun.
https://imgur.com/gallery/fvjbe
Thanks. Thats what Im using now thanks to your recommendation.