Ruger rings won't close over scope

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johnr283

Bearcat
I just bought a Nikon PROSTAFF 2-7x32 for my Mini 30. When I tried to mount it using the Ruger 1" rings the came with the rifle, the ring won't close over the scope tube. There's an 1/8 - 1/4 gap. I don't think I can tight them without damaging the scope. Is my problem with the scope or the rings?

If I decide to use the rail that came with the rifle and buy new rings, will low height rings cover the iron sights or should I buy the medium ones?

johnr283

Bearcat
No. I've tried two scopes that are definently 1". As you can see, the scope fits in the lower part of the ring perfectly, which I believe a 30mm wouldn't.

You might want to check a u tube site or go to a gun dealer and learn and see how to correctly mount a scope. All the above answers are good.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
Take the rings to a GOOD gun shop that mounts scopes, and they will know pretty quickly.

johnr283

Bearcat
I stopped at my local Cabela's and had the scope mounted. It turns out there should be a even gap on both sides. That's just the way the Ruger rings are designed.

Thanks for all of your advice.

waterboy452

Bearcat
That's been my experience with pretty much all of the scope rings I've ever tried. I've mounted more than my share of scopes, and I always try to achieve an even gap on both sides of the ring. I'm just picky like that, but it does look much better. Glad you got it taken care of.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
I has a set of rings I bought used that were polished-reemed to over a inch and when tightened down seemed tight, but were not as recoil moved the scope with just about every shot. after about ten shots trying to sight it in it dawned on me and I thru them away.

JFB

Hunter
Even though I'm late, I'll give my two cents too!

lay the top halve on the scope and look to see if it is very close (touching) all the way around.
do the same by setting the scope in the lower half.
If the sides are holding the scope from resting on the dead top/bottom, something is wrong

I got a 1" scope once that was actually 1.024" (26mm European model).

You WANT the up and down on the rings to be smaller than the side to side so the rings will clamp and leave that gap on the sides.

Having the caps "pinch" is common in a lot of equipment also. the machining process to make a ring clamp is to assemble the rough pieces with a shim between the joints. then machine the bore round. take the shims out and now the two halves will clamp a round piece with excellent contact on the surfaces with the exception of the gap at the joint

KS25-06

Single-Sixer
Simple fix. Lay the ring top on a hard flat surface and tap it lightly with a plastic hammer or put a thick rag over it and use a regular hammer. Spreads the ring a little and goes right on without marring the scope finish. Been mounting customers scopes for over 45 years. Might also take some emery cloth and polish the inside edges of the rings before mounting the scope.

langenc

Single-Sixer
Sounds/looks like you dont have a scope mounting kit.

Get one and use it-inc lapping. What you paid Cabelas could have probably bought one. Get a buddy to go in w/ you and split the $$.

If you have to go hammering on a ring something is wrong. Youll never mount my scope.

pete44ru

Hunter
eastbank said:
I has a set of rings I bought used that were polished-reemed to over a inch and when tightened down seemed tight, but were not as recoil moved the scope with just about every shot.

after about ten shots trying to sight it in it dawned on me and I thru them away.

Waste not, want not...…. ;)

The rings needn't have been trashed, as (often) a little friction (or a thin shim) added inside the rings will keep a scope from moving.

Depending upon the amount of slop, I've successfully used everything from fingernail polish to emery paper.

KS25-06

Single-Sixer
Langenc, For your information, I am not hammering on the rings. Just a light tap to spread the top slightly. the screws are still inline and fit fine . No binding. Been doing this with Ruger rings for over 45 years. No problems with the scope being loose and have done this on 338's, 375's and two 458's. You do it your way and I'll do it my way.

dickn52

Bearcat
johnr283 said:
I stopped at my local Cabela's and had the scope mounted. It turns out there should be a even gap on both sides. That's just the way the Ruger rings are designed.

Thanks for all of your advice.
NO, that's the way all rings are designed. At least all of mine. The secret is to make sure the gap is equal on both sides.

JFB

Hunter
I took a new ring, with the upper secure to the lower and took a couple micrometer measurements
horizonal....1.000"
vertical...0.952"
fxt8dzE.jpg

langenc

Single-Sixer
KS25-06 said:
Langenc, For your information, I am not hammering on the rings. Just a light tap to spread the top slightly. the screws are still inline and fit fine . No binding. Been doing this with Ruger rings for over 45 years. No problems with the scope being loose and have done this on 338's, 375's and two 458's. You do it your way and I'll do it my way.

Great idea.