New 6.5x55 African?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mrbumps

Blackhawk
I saw them talking about it on one of the Shot Show videos. I have one of the 275 Rigby's they did last year. They are nicely done.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
From my experience, plains game isn't bullet proof. In most countries, you can hunt plains game with the 6.5x55. Dangerous game usually has minimum of 375 caliber and minimum energy requirements.
Where I hunted in Namibia, you could hunt everything, but big game, lion, buffalo and elephant and maybe eland with most deer cartridges. There is a pretty good listing of caliber requirements on Africanhunting.com.

Bfly

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
The African was made in 223 also was it not? It's just the name of the model so don't over think things. How many were sold in the larger calibers and they won't ever leave the lower 48 for a hunt.

MZ5

Bearcat
Rumrunner said:
Yep, the 223's were nice. I think the thought with them was a lesser caliber you could practice with that was the same size as the big bores.

Yep, that's a great idea, and something I do myself with my 77/22. I guess I didn't realize there was much of a difference in shape or feel between the African and other No.1 rifles.

I love the 26-cals, and a Swede might be fun. I just thought it made no sense even for marketing to call it an "African" unless you could actually use it there. Sounds like you can, so it all makes sense to me. I'd love to go back to Africa some day, and it would be even better if I could hunt a bit.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
the 6.5x55 will kill any animal on earth, but some times you may need to not only kill it but to stop it yesterday. and that's where the big calibers come into their own.

wunbe

Buckeye
I have met several resident hunting guides on large properties in Africa who cull undesirables from herds of plains game with a 243. and love it for that purpose. They do not encourage their sports to do the same as marksmanship is uneven.

wunbe

JFB

Hunter
GOT ONE :D
opened the box and disappointed :cry:

first thing I noticed was the folding rear sight and gold bead front. I was expecting the standing Vee and ivory bead like on my 223 and 416Rgby Africans

well, pay's your money, take's your chance

(I'll get pics latter after I get over the let down)

the 6.5X55 with the 223
bCJZ32B.jpg

JFB

Hunter
Here is a comparison of the 6.5X55 versus the 223 African sights.

I talked with Anthony at Ruger this AM. The blade and bead could be replaced BUT Ruger doesnot have a height combination that would get POA and POI even near each other.

Oh well, Now to look for a possible scope, something with 20MM objective and German#1 recticle

L5INTwt.jpg

7qSYp2q.jpg

"Interesting! What big game can you use a 6.5x55 on, legally, in most African countries?"

Throwback to the heyday of early smokeless powder hunting rifles. If I remember the book, WDM Bell gravitated to the 7x57 because the ammo was more reliable than the 6.5 something he'd been using to kill elephants.
I think cartridges down to 243 are currently legal for some plains game .

JFB

Hunter
Mobuck said:
...If I remember the book, WDM Bell gravitated to the 7x57 because the ammo was more reliable than the 6.5 something he'd been using to kill elephants.. .

I was thinking the 303 was the unreliable cheaper round AND the 6.5X54 M-S was second in favor to the 7X57.

EDIT...while not reading the book, google can find info faster...
I was in error and indeed Mobuck was correct in that the 6.5X54 ammo was unrealiable.

I still haven't look over the rifle yet, but I am having buyers remorse that I just over paid for an obscure caliber with a slightly upgraded stock.

smith1961

Blackhawk
JFB said:
I still haven't look over the rifle yet, but I am having buyers remorse that I just over paid for an obscure caliber with a slightly upgraded stock.

Cheer up, first thing is you got a low-production rifle. Secondly, the 6.5x55 is hardly obscure, Just because everybody else has been trying to re-invent it as the .260 Rem, 6.5 Creedmoor, and others doesn't mean it's obscure. There are plenty of current production loads from many manufacturers for 6.5x55. 140 and 160 grain loads will put down Elk, Moose and the like efficiently.
:mrgreen:

Xraydave

Bearcat
I got mine a week ago and was very pleased with the wood. Already shot it and there is great potential with it. Also got the creedmoor 1AH from Lipsey's at the same time. I think I like the 6.5 x 55 better than the creedmoor.

smith1961

Blackhawk
Xraydave said:
I got mine a week ago and was very pleased with the wood. Already shot it and there is great potential with it. Also got the creedmoor 1AH from Lipsey's at the same time. I think I like the 6.5 x 55 better than the creedmoor.

Not surprised at all........the 77 African allows the cartridge to be be safely handloaded to the 6.5x55's potential.
8)

I think it's a cool rifle. I also like the sights like on your 223. My eyes can't see that small brass bead. I have a Guide Gun with the better sights. Even though I scope every thing these, before mounting the scope I sight in with the open sights at 25 and 50 yards.

vmax204

Bearcat
The 6.5x55 is a very under rated calibre. It is capable of taking any game on the North American continent with proper bullet selection and placement. Take it out and shoot it and I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised at the accuracy and light recoil. If you are hand loading you will find the 6.5 to shoot everything quite well and load development isn't as big of a process as with some calibres. Don't be disappointed, you have a beautiful rifle in a great calibre. I have three now and would be happy to have yours in my safe next to the others.

JFB

Hunter
As I "fondle" ---650, my gripe is still with calling the model an "African".

It is NOT heavy, It does not have dangerous game sights. It is not an African

It does have a good balance, thin barrel and slim full stock.

Thus I am referring to mine now as a "Highland Stalker". I think that would be a much more approaite marketing name

I have a 1-5X20 scope on the way, but instead of an "African post" recticle for quick shots, I am going with a fine duplex to be more suited to a dileberate place shot, like needed during a stalk. And if needed for a failed scope, It does have normal iron sights