Extended mag release on GRS

Help Support Ruger Forum:

East of the Rio Grande and South of the Canadian
Every wonder if one part on a Ruger rifle is used on other Ruger rifle? The interchangeable scope rings is one of the features I like about Rugers.

Changed out a factory release on a Mini 14 a few weeks ago and it solved some to the magazine problems I had encountered with the mini. Ordered from www.matrixprecisionparts.com. The mini 14 factory release looked very similar to the release on the Gunsite Scout Rifle. So I ordered another Matrix release and installed it on the GSR. It worked without fitting or modification. I have not been to the range to see if recoil with effect the lockup of the mag, but the two mags I have tested cycled satisfactory and eject. It does extended beyond the 5 round mag, but is very convenient on the ten round.

Time to go to work and I still have not figured out how to put up the images.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
One of the weak points of the GSR for me was the flimsy "bottom metal". I replaced mine with a unit from Pacific Tool and Gauge. It's solid as heck and you can torque down the receiver screws without worry.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/ruger-performance/2071-ruger-m77-short-action-sa-stealth-detachable-mag-bottom-metal.html

East of the Rio Grande and South of the Canadian
Here it is July of 18 and I finally got to the range to fire the Scout rifle after installing the extended mag release. I need to get to the range more often. The extended release held the mag in place for 40 rounds and make quick work of releasing the mags. The twenty round and thirty round metal mags dropped away without extra effort. The plastic five round mag took a little encouragement to get it to drop. I only loaded each with five rounds as I was shooting 5 round groups to test loads. To double check the plastic mag I shoot three groups using it to make sure it was really having trouble. It maybe to light to drop or be made to different dimensions, but I use it to comply with hunting regulations so it is no big deal.

So the extended release from http://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/ is a success on my rifle. their web site still lists it today.