Start of new 6.5-06 build.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kodiakken

Bearcat
Found me a rifle that I could use the action off of for a donor for my build.
Took that down to Ron Smith and ordered a barrel through him.
Now I am hunting for a stock. I would love to find a long action Ruger M77 MkII Varmint Bbl. in the Nutmeg color. That would tickle my fancy for sure. If you know where on is let me know please.
Now the waiting game.....

Ken.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
Kodiakken, you might get with Boyd's gunstocks, as they make a decent laminate stock in diverse colors. I have used one on a 270Win and really liked it. They are very reasonable on their prices. I used to want a 6.5/06 rifle and should have went for it but I am getting a little older and my needs and wants have changed as well as my retirement income, so maybe you can post how the rifle you are having put together shoots. Then I can enjoy one vicariously!! Blessings, Dennis

I have been working up loads for a Ruger "FTW" in 6.5 creedmoor. When buying bullets some of the new ones say made for 1 in 8 twist. That might bee the future for the newer VLD style bullets. So, far the 140, 143 grains of serria and hornady shoot the best. I gave up on lighter bullets. Of powder the H4350 is the winner in mine. IMR 4451, I have but, not had time to test any loads in it. At this point I like the 6.5 caliber, I hope yours turns out great.

kodiakken

Bearcat
kmoore I have the Creedmoor also and it shoots great. I don't really know why but I have always wanted the 6.5-06.
So this was my starting retirement gift to me.
I really like the 6mm, 6.5's and 7mm for accuracy maybe just in my head.
I went with the gain twist barrel and a left hand twist.
Mr Smith has a very good reputation so I thought I would splurge once for something I want. Sounds greedy doesn't it

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
I have a K1B with a Lilja 6.5-06 barrel. 49.5 grains of RL19 behind 140 grain Partitions gives me three holes touching. It will handle up to 51.0 grains of RL19 before pressure signs (in my case mildly flattened primers at 51.5 grains), so I stick with 49.5 or 50. Groups open up to about 0.5 inches at 50 or more grains. The partition load is a wonderful cartridge, bullet, and powder combination. DRT on a pronghorn last season at 257 yards. That probably doesn't impress many on this forum and certainly not dedicated 6.5-06 shooters, but it was the longest shot I ever made count. I haven't shot many of the target bullet types, but have some LR Accubonds waiting for a try. I have also had excellent accuracy with Lapua Mega 155, Norma Oryx 156, and the Woodley 160, but my chamber is not deep and pressure signs start to occur with more than mid-range loads with those bullets since they have to be seated deeper. The Partition load is a keeper.

kodiakken

Bearcat
Well I got my gun back from the barrel guy just before Christmas.
Took it to the fellow I usually use had the stock fitted and beding done.
Just found me a nice Huskemah scope should have it next week to mount.
Then finally get to shoot this thing.
It's taken a while but it should be worth it.

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
The 6.5-06 has been around a long, long time. Nothing too new about the attributes of the 264 diameter and the bullets thereof. A lot of folks think the 6.5-06 is about as good as it gets in a lot of ways, recoil is mild to most.

Hope you enjoy it.............I know you will.............. :) ..............tis a fine choice.