Ruger 1A or 1S in 30-06

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmol50

Single-Sixer
I'm new to this sport and just about 6 months ago I purchased my first ever gun - a CZ 452 American. After a few hundred rounds I'm feeling ready to start practicing with an elk gun. I've settled on a Ruger No. 1 but I can't decide between the 1A and 1S. I've been able to hold the 1S with 24" barrel at Cabela's but they don't have a 1A in stock.

How much is the weight difference between these two models? Every place I look it shows 7.3 pounds no matter the type or caliber of No. 1 so I'm not believing that 7.3 figure at all.

Am I overthinking this? Will I be happy with a 1A or 1S and just pick one already?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Just pick one. Have a variety of #1's and the weight differences between them isn;t that much. Even the H and V models aren't what I'd call "heavy".

pisgah

Buckeye
The extra weight of the longer barrel is likely no more, perhaps less, than the rifle-to-rifle weight differences caused by varying wood density in the stocks. As one of the big advantages to a single shot is that it allows use of a longer barrel while still retaining compactness, my choice would be long barrel.

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
"Ruger is discontinuing all No. 1s- see CLOSEOUT prices below!"

Email header from my Lipseys rep. That's "1s" as in plural not Model 1S.

wunbe

Buckeye
Beejayzuzz!

The conclusive signs of a fullscale Ruger withdrawal have been in the wind for years and the only surprise is that it took them so long to actually pull the plug. Still, the finality of it causes a big lump in the throat and a kind of half-ass hope that the tooling etc will get bought up by someone who will extend and improve the line and make it viable again in today's market.

I once had over 3 dozen of them but I've reduced my collection to some keepers -- mainly custom no 1s better than Bill Ruger ever made -- and a dozen or so basic factory models in traditional calibers that could make a core of a new collection for anyone starting out new.

wunbe

jmol50

Single-Sixer
Thanks again for the advice. I just ordered a 1S 30-06 from GB for $879. Very pleased and can't wait to get it in my hands.

Sad news about the #1 in general. I guess I'm an oddball... a young guy in his 30s interested in a single shot.

jmol50

Single-Sixer
I got my #1S in today and it's got some funny marks on the underside. Excuse my ignorance of what the piece is called. The FFL and I didn't think it was serious enough to send it back but I'm annoyed it's not perfect. I'll be calling Ruger's customer service tomorrow morning. The marks are under the finish because we took 0000 steel wool to it and nothing happened. Any suggestions? Here's a link to two pictures...

https://www.flickr.com/gp/98080170@N07/50e709

wunbe

Buckeye
That is not the way a new, out of the box, stock should look! Quality checks should have caught that before shipment.

wunbe

jmol50

Single-Sixer
FedEx tracking said the gun was delivered Tuesday the 6th. Ruger emailed to say they got it yesterday the 8th. I got an email from FedEx today that my gun is in the mail - no communication from Ruger. I'm assuming they just sent me a new gun.

jmol50

Single-Sixer
I'm just reviving this old thread to say how happy I am I picked the 1S 30-06. I got my first elk this year down in southern Colorado. Shot was across a small meadow at just under 200 yards. I'm thinking of getting a single shot 223 to get more practice in at the range. I debating getting a Henry now during an Xmas sale or waiting another 6-9 months to save for another Ruger. I suspect I know what y'all would say but perhaps you'll surprise me.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I'm an S fan too, if your busting elk they did a 35 Whelen around the the time they did the '06 year plus or minus

rangerbob

Buckeye
The Henry is a nice single shot rifle with checkered walnut and blue steel, with or without sights. One could by (4) of them for what a #1 costs or 1 of them and a truckload of 223 ammo. If practice is the reason for the 223, it makes perfect sense. I just sold one in 45-70 to one of my LE buds, very nice rifle. I'm down to only 3 #1's, all #1A's, in 250 Savage, 280 Remington, and of course, 308. Bob! :mrgreen: