Shotgun for home defense

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've never owned a shotgun, and in fact have never even fired one, but I have been thinking that maybe its a good idea to get one as an addition to my handguns for home defense. I would not be using it for hunting or anything else, and I'm looking for recommendations for something with a shorter barrel that would be easily handled within a home. Should I assume 12 gauge, or is 16 or 20 gauge effective for home defense? Right now I'm not even sure where I would go to get familiar with it, but I assume that there are places around here with public access where I could shoot a shotgun. With possible new restrictions coming from Washington on firearm purchases I thought I should do this sooner rather than later.

pete44ru

Hunter

Given the short (30' or less) life-threatening home/self-defense distances inside most residences, just about any gauge repeating shotgun will prove more than satisfactory, even with heavy birdshot (which doesn't have the chance to spread much in those short distances).

Shorter = better, but don't make the mistake of choosing a whippet (as in: "whip it out") gun, unless it's a 20ga or smaller.

(whippet gun, below)

cruiser-and-glock.jpg

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
More important than the gauge is the ammo you load it with. Forget birdshot. You want at least #4 buck shot, preferably 00. Slugs are also an excellent HD ammo. Either way, you do have to aim a shotgun same as you do a rifle, or at least practice hitting what you are pointing at. If you/significant other can handle the recoil I'd recommend a 12 gauge.

Some pointers on fighting with a shotgun as opposed to simply owning one:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/educational-zone-83-fighting-with-a-shotgun/

5of7

Hunter
Here's mine.

Remington receiver--Mossberg bbl, and Hogue grip & forend.

Had a helluva time figgering out how to resize images, but it looks OK now.... 8)

9to1w4.jpg

2he94c5.jpg

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
5of7 said:
Here's mine.

10s7j4k.jpg

vpe2kh.jpg

Nice gun, but just personal preference, I like a full stock. Gives some options (buttstroke). Also not everyone can handle the recoil of pistol grip.

My HD shotgun (Mossberg 590 Mariner, 20" bbl, 8+1) & backups/accessories:

Car%20accessories.jpg~original

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
Remington 870s; # 81198, or #25077 12 gauge
Remington 870 20 gauge youth, #25561
These are my best sellers and I keep a 870 close by at home.

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
That pistol grip will have your hand a swollen hurting mass after a couple of rounds of buck shot. Very poor design where the recoil will mash the grip down into the web of your hand. I had the same style om my Mossberg and quickly replaced it. The Pachmayer grip is much improved.

I think the short-barreled 870's are the best choice. And I'm a fan of sub-gauges. 20-ga and even .410 are good choices in the home.

This 12-ga 870 with an 18-1/2" barrel is probably the most versatile gun I own.

This .410 BPS, 20" barrel, with 5+1 capacity was marketed by Browning as a home defense gun.

WAYNO.

Varminterror

Blackhawk
CoyoteShotty_zps0c120f3f.jpg

This is mine. Benelli's Super Nova, Carlson's barrel, pattern master choke, Burris Speedbead mount with FastFire III on top, custom bipod mount and a Harris clone, hillbilly cheekpiece under an Allen elastic shell caddy, Nordic components +2 mag extension.

pisgah

Buckeye
GunnyGene said:
More important than the gauge is the ammo you load it with. Forget birdshot. You want at least #4 buck shot, preferably 00. Slugs are also an excellent HD ammo.

Sorry to contradict you, but you have obviously never seen someone who was shot to death with a birdshot load. I have, and I can assure you that a 12 ga. #8 birdshot load delivered center-of-mass at 20 feet produces a devastating wound that would be survivable only in the most extraordinary of circumstances. Not saying it's the best, but for home defense it can certainly suffice.

9x19

Hunter
My wife is small, so for us the 20ga with #4 Buck works the best.

Stevens 320 Securtiy
Stevens%20320%20S_zpssopjl681.jpg

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
pisgah said:
GunnyGene said:
More important than the gauge is the ammo you load it with. Forget birdshot. You want at least #4 buck shot, preferably 00. Slugs are also an excellent HD ammo.

Sorry to contradict you, but you have obviously never seen someone who was shot to death with a birdshot load. I have, and I can assure you that a 12 ga. #8 birdshot load delivered center-of-mass at 20 feet produces a devastating wound that would be survivable only in the most extraordinary of circumstances. Not saying it's the best, but for home defense it can certainly suffice.

No need to apologize. :) This is one of those questions has been beaten to death for decades, and will never have universal agreement on it. In some circumstances, I'd prefer #7 1/2 birdshot myself - for example if I lived in an apartment (thin walls), although I would be likely to empty 4 or 5 rounds of it into a bg rather than relying on one or two 00buck or slugs.

As with hunting we try to choose the "right" ammo that will get the job done most effectively. The problem with HD ammo selection is that we don't know what we might be up against - a rabbit or a cape buffalo. So logically we should be prepared for the cape buffalo. Might be a little rough on the rabbit, but there it is. :)

There are always compromises to be considered in defensive choices. Personally, I tend to fall on the side of: "Go big, or don't go home." :wink:

5of7

Hunter
My load is a handload of #4 buck over 22 grs. of Green Dot.

At 30 feet (it is after all a household gun) I get a pattern about 12" in diameter. The reason for the #4 buck instead of 00 buck is consideration for the neighbors.

I have no concerns about the performance of this load if it became necessary to use it in a self defense situation.

As to the handgun type grip, I have fired it rapid fire and can assure you that it did not hurt my hand any. 8)

Snake45

Hawkeye
12 ga for a number of reasons I won't go into here, but a 20 ga is fine if you run into a good deal on one. Usually 20 gauge guns are actually more expensive than 12s, just because they're not as popular.

You can't go wrong with a pump, but be sure you're getting a design with double action bars. If you want the best, hands down, it's Remington 870, and an older used one is fine (some say even better than a new one). If you want to go cheap, look for a used Mossberg 500. It's about 80-90% the gun the Rem 870 is but can be had for as little as half the price (used), which is a good deal. Either gun will do the job, the Rem's just a bit smoother and more solid feeling. Some like that, including me (I own both kinds).

If you're buying used, don't worry too much about what barrel's on it if the price is otherwise right. You can swap on another barrel easily, and used barrels are often quite cheap too. If you get a barrel without a rib, you can saw it off yourself to a handy but legal length--somewhere between 18 1/2 and 20 inches.

If you want an extended magazine, the Remington is the better bet. Several different companies make bolt-on long mags for it. The extended mag on the Mossberg is pretty much a dedicated proposition--you have to buy it that way, and then your choice of other barrels for that model is very limited.

For sights, I like a simple tritium bead, which any competent local gunsmith can install, even if you've chopped the barrel. Forget about fancy "ghost ring" sights. You simply won't need them for home defense.

For ammo, my friend Mas Ayoob recommends #1 Buck as the best compromise, but it's hard to find. #00 is much more common. #0 and #4 Buck will also work, if that's what you find.

But buckshot ammo is expensive. Another way to go is get the biggest "cheap hunting" ammo you can find, which will probably be #2s or BBs. Either will work fine.

DO stay with a full stock. You don't want one of those pistol-gripped backbirths, no offense to those who like them. :wink:

Thus endeth the lesson. :wink:

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
I built these for cheap.....

Sears 200 (Winchester 1200) I have $115 in this one

hHheRgNl.jpg

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2014/04/building-inexpensive-home-defense.html

I have $100 in this one, NEF 12 gauge single shot. I have a butt stock pad/cover that holds 5 additional rounds. I shortened the barrel to 18" and reblued it.

IDk5EfZl.jpg

This one is a Western Auto Revelation (Mossberg 500). I bought the gun for $40, a new trigger group for $50 and the Hogue stock set for $35

rrT95SGl.jpg

TINCANBANDIT

Single-Sixer
Then I have this one, Mossberg 590 with Mesa Tactical stock set and Hogue AR grip

x8ib0ogl.jpg

I always load with bird shot and the ones with side saddle shell carriers I keep a round or two of buck shot, I figure the bird shot will stun the offender or at the very least change their objective

pisgah

Buckeye
Many will regard this as blasphemy, but so be it!

One of the best deals going in an inexpensive home defense shotgun is the Norinco/IAC Hawk, a Remington 870 clone. Mine has an 18" Improved Cylinder barrel, and came with a Weaver-style scope base already mounted. I added an inexpensive Tasco red dot sight and a made-for-the-870 mag extension. Frankly, in a side-by-side comparison with the current Remingtons, assuming you covered up the markings, I think most folks would assume the Chinese gun to be the American gun -- the apparent quality is that good. Some formerly-machined Remington parts that are now stamped sheet metal (and, frankly, work fine) are still machined steel in the Hawk. It's a solid performer, and generally available for around $200.

5of7 said:
Here's mine.

Had a helluva time figgering out how to resize images, but it looks OK now.... 8)

9to1w4.jpg

2he94c5.jpg

Wait a minute, you took parts from three manufacturers to build this but can't resize a photo? Just kidding. :mrgreen:

I tried a pistol grip on 12, 20 and .410's. Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with them. I did find that putting a "youth" butt stock, and a short barrel on each of them that they shortened up nicely for indoor use, but still allowed me better hit potential. YMMV.

I have a Maverick 88 beside the bed, it's a very inexpensive, reliable shotgun. I have a 6 shell holder on it and an inexpensive flashlight clamp with a remote switch. I chose the inexpensive Maverick because the gun sits out, unlocked, 24 hours a day, if there were a break in at my house it wouldn't be a large financial loss if that gun were stolen. My house is small with narrow doors and a tight hallway so the pistol grip works well for me. I practice shooting the gun from the hip with 00 Buckshot from 15 feet or so and I've become very, very accurate with it. My wife has shot it but she really doesn't like it because of the recoil, but she can certainly use it in an emergency situation.

captain-america-albums-stuff-picture9072-shotgun.jpg

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I agree with some and also disagree with some.
A Remington 870 with a deer slug barrel on it is as about as good as you can get. #4 Buck is a devastating load, but I prefer bird shot for home defense (maybe indoor use). Why Birdshot, because it will also penetrate walls but hopefully not kill who is on the other side of the wall ( or it will at least dissipate the pattern enough for family member to survive if hit ). Another thing about a pump action shotgun is the physiological effect it has on a person. Everyone in the world knows that sound of a pump action shot gun being chambered. No questions asked you know that sound and better lay down or get the heck out of the area, because you know what is coming next. Devastation.
With bird shot you really do not need to aim. Just pinch the buttstock against the inside of you're arm and side straighten you're forearm and fire in the direction of the perpetrator job done. Rack the slide for the next round. Magnum shells, Buckshot and especially Slugs not needed. If you live by you're self in the country use what ever you would want.

Just a couple of my thoughts from my experiences over the years.