Shotgun for home defense

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
Stressfire II: Advanced Combat Shotgun by Massad F. Ayoob is essential reading.
https://www.amazon.com/Stressfire-II-Advanced-Shotgun-Paperback/dp/B00ZT0RQN0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542068202&sr=8-3&keywords=stressfire+ii+ayoob
I dissagree with him on the usefulness of lasers/red dots. Lasers have come quite a way sense '92. I use a KSG for home defense and load rubber bullets in one magazine and #1/#2 shot in the other—I Have bear problems—DON'T USE THE RUBBER AGAINST AN INTRUDER!

Something else worth looking at is the Mossberg 590M with a 10 or 15 round magazine. I don't go heaver than #1/#2 shot, it penetrates heavy clothing and furniture fine and doesn't tear up as much as buck. NO SHOTGUN WILL PENETRATE BODY ARMOR! Going through drywall and then 3/4" birch is way too much!

Some 12 ga shot penetration tests at 3M https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElFmPZMtaSI.
Note the buck all over penetrates and the smaller shot doesn't have adequate energy transfer. 3M is just over 16' and likely a long clear shot for most dwelings.

Coop

Blackhawk
You come into my house uninvited (aka Home invasion) and you will face a Mossberg 12 GA Shotgun with 5 OO buck shotshells. It will take me, or my wife, about 0.5 seconds to chamber the first one, and about 4 seconds to shoot the next four. Good luck, perp.

For the best home defense is having a handgun, shotgun and rifle available has they all have different use. Your own use or needs may be different from others. The poster asked about shotguns.
Having used a shotgun of different makes and styles clearing houses on a warrant search. And during a alarm calls at a house or business. I find that all styles are difficult to use indoors vs a handgun. Mainly moving past open doorways you really need to practice not having the barrel seen giving up your position. Pointing the shotgun in different directions that need covered as you move also have problems do to the length even with pistol grip styles. That is not a problem with a handgun. Now if your in any room awaiting the BG and have a shotgun ready that is a big advantage of the shotgun.
I consider the term home defense as whole home defense, not just defense from inside. You may need to engage BGs outside/inside, in the barn, in the yard, they could be in a vehicle or any place that is yours to protect at your home.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
kmoore said:
For the best home defense is having a handgun, shotgun and rifle available has they all have different use. Your own use or needs may be different from others. The poster asked about shotguns.
Having used a shotgun of different makes and styles clearing houses on a warrant search. And during a alarm calls at a house or business. I find that all styles are difficult to use indoors vs a handgun. Mainly moving past open doorways you really need to practice not having the barrel seen giving up your position. Pointing the shotgun in different directions that need covered as you move also have problems do to the length even with pistol grip styles. That is not a problem with a handgun. Now if your in any room awaiting the BG and have a shotgun ready that is a big advantage of the shotgun.
I consider the term home defense as whole home defense, not just defense from inside. You may need to engage BGs outside/inside, in the barn, in the yard, they could be in a vehicle or any place that is yours to protect at your home.

Agree. The needs of land owners in rural areas in this regard are often overlooked by the media(and many gun forums), who assumes that everyone in the country lives within spitting distance of their neighbors. Understandable, since 84% of the US population lives in urban/suburban locations. I used to myself for a long time, but now live on 30 acres for the last 18 years and my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away.

This also feeds the "over penetration" argument that crops up regularly. There seems to be no recognition that "over penetration" is simply not a concern for many people. It isn't for me - on the contrary an exit hole is highly desirable, except for the mess it makes, so my home defense weaponry is generally guaranteed to make a mess. :wink:

grobin

Blackhawk
Well "over penetration" includes collateral damage! My nearest neighbor is 600M away so stray shots are not an issue. But if I blow a hole in a wall with buckshot my insurance will not cover it and assuming that no electrical or plumbing is damaged I would be looking at a difference of several hundred dollars between buck and No1/2 shot and at least that much between No 1/2 and 9mm/10mm. I'd expect the repair bill to run $400 up for buck.
But the need for the right tool needs to be addressed as one size doesn't fir all. I know a bunch of folks who have field shotguns and use them for home defense. They are not great and the idea that I can take my hunting piece or target pistol and use it for home defense is wishful thinking. Yes it's better than nothing, but not really that good. Something that also is not considered is what am I defending and against what? Do I keep substantial valuables in my home? The neighborhood drunk or occasional druggy is no big; but a serious BG wearing a vest is different as are critters. I have to worry about skunks and black bears. The former really require a 22lr or 9mm while the later benefit from a 12ga with rubber slugs backed up by regular slugs. P&W is OK with shooting a bear with LTL so long as you don't wound it. HOWEVER, KILLING A BEAR IS A BIG HASSLE! Colorado ha a "Make My Day" law so killing an intruder that breaks into your home is no big deal, but killing someone outside your home takes some justification.