Not a revolver and not a Ruger ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bentblade

Single-Sixer
I know this is the revolver section but figured there are a lot of Vaquero 45 colt shooters here who have matching lever guns for cowboy action shooting and was wondering what you all think of the Rossi 92 lever guns
?
Thanks for your input.

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
They are solid and usually reliable. Often they are rough and need smoothing up. If you're looking for raw speed the '73s and '66s are faster to operate.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
They are well made Leverguns but most need some slicking up to make them operate slick as the old Winchesters did. You don't see a lot of them at the Cowboy shoots, there you see mostly clones of the Winchester 1873 and Marlin 94's .
They are good guns for the money unless you plan to be competitive in CAS.

eveled

Hawkeye
I have one in .357, I like it a lot. Seems to be well made, and smooth as butter.

DGW1949

Hunter
One of my most prized rifles is an older "Interarms" Rossi '92 Carbine in 45LC.
Light, handy, accurate, strikes a serious blow, and feeds the same LSWC loads that I use in my revolver like it was made for 'em. All in all, it's probably the most usefull rifle I own....leastways for me.
There's been others too, and in a couple of other calibers. Of those, the one I might should have kept was a pre-safety, blue 'n CCH Carbine in .357 . It too, was an excellent gun....but in the end, I decided that it wouldn't do anything that my old .45 wouldn't do, so off it went.

On the other end of the mule though....once upon a time, I fell to a moment of vanity and bought one of their 24" hex-barreled versions with the CCH reciever and curved butt plate. Perty gun to look at (which is why I bought it)...but...I found it to be way too muzzle heavy for CAS, too clumsy for feild use, and not one bit more accurate than the "little carbine" that I've had for years.
What I learned from that was that it's probably best to just let the little '92 be what it is, and if ya want "something bigger" in a lever-gun, maybe give the '94 a look instead.

Hope this helps.

DGW

Varminterror

Blackhawk
I've been through pretty well every levergun model under the sun; Win 94, Marlin 1895/336 and 1894, Rossi 92's, Savage 99's, Ruger 96's, Repro 73's and 66's, some for hunting, many for competitive cowboy action shooting...

For my money...

Make Mine a Marlin!!!

noahmercy

Blackhawk
I have a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt (stainless carbine, one of two thousand) and one in 357 Magnum (stainless rifle). All I did with my Rossis to make them competitive in cowboy shooting was to add Marble's semi-buckhorn sights, slick up the internals with a lapping plate and progressively finer grades of 3M Wet-or-Dry and lighten the ejector spring to keep them from launching the empties into orbit. I can operate the lever with a pinky finger now. Accuracy-wise, the 45 groups very well, but the 357 is a heart attack! That gun shoots as accurate as many bolt action rifles. I have a Marlin Cowboy in 45 Colt, and it is a little less accurate than the 357, and really close to the same as the Rossi carbine (with its shorter sight radius). I have over thirty thousand rounds through the 357, and I bought it second-hand. The 45 carbine has over twenty thousand through it. Durability seems to be okay! In my opinion, the best value in a pistol-caliber lever gun on the market.

I had a Rossi 92 in .44 mag. It came with the safety removed per Steve's Gunz video, and a metal follower in the ammo tube. The sights were atrocious, and I replaced them. The metal butt plate bruised me badly. I should have removed it, and put a padded butt plate on, but nooooo I needed cash and sold it. They are the original " assault gun" with 11 rounds on tap with one in chamber. Mine had the round 20 inch barrel? It was handy and dandy to carry.
gramps

Ethang

Blackhawk
I have a 45 that I slicked up years ago. Good shooter, sights were off and the factory dovetail is a metric size. That gave me fits trying to replace them. The only other issue with it is the chamber is on the large side.

I just picked up a new manufactured 357 from Bud's last week. I decided not to open this one up and just use it. Pulled the stock and flushed it out with break cleaner, then dry cycled it a couple hundred times each night watching TV. It is slicking up very nicely just doing this. Need to refinish the stocks, but other than that it's solid.

They are well made but rough when new. Buy with confidence.

Don Lovel

Hunter
On the top of the list of guns I had to sell to pay for life's misfortune but really want another one, 454 Casull 20" barrel, a little stout on the barrel whip recoil with full power 454, BUT heavy 45 Colt loads, Wonderful accuracy, downrange thump better than 30-30 at 150yds. Pick up a Marbles Cowboy competition buckhorn sight, well worth the money from Brownells.

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
Another 'yes' vote for the Rossi '92; have several in various calibers. If you have any plans to use it outside of cowboy action shooting (plinking, hunting, home defense etc.), definitely go with a Rossi '92 (or Marlin '94). They're lightweight, accurate, very handy and very strong actioned. (The toggle link guns ('73, '66, '60) are fine for CAS, but limited in the power of the ammo that can be used, not as strong an action, heavier, and more expensive.)
As I'm going away from CAS these days, I prefer the multiple use options my '92s afford me.

winchester348

Single-Sixer
I have one in .44 Mag in a stainless carbine. Great little gun, As others I replaced the safety with a peep sight, installed a fire sight on the front, replaced the plastic mag follower with a metal one and sat on the couch for several hours working the action. Smooth, quick handling little rifle. I would have loved to found one in .454.

txbandit

Bearcat
Galaxiedan, did your rifle come with the wood that color? I have the same rifle but the wood is a very dark, almost black, stain. I remember seeing an article a few years ago about changing it, but have not been able to find it.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Have one in 45 Colt. Agree w/ Sacramento Johnson.... With a few inexpensive modifications, safety delete/peep, metal follower they are great guns. Ruger load strong, a joy to carry and slick up nicely. Just have to watch your oal & bullet profile. The stain is thin - sprayed on I think. Easy to strip and redo and it needs it as only the outside is "finished". Some of that Brazilian firewood has some nice grain.

Latest posts