New Ruger African .223

Help Support Ruger Forum:

black029

Single-Sixer
Obtained one from Bud's, in Kentucky. It's a quality rifle, with actual bluing. Doesn't look matte to me. Harkens back to the guns of the '60's and '70's. Even a little bit of fiddle back on the buttstock. Just a little

Only weird thing is that it has the barrel band AND a swivel stud on the forearm.
Pictures forthcoming..........

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Sounds like you found a nice one. Every one I've heard of has been a great shooter. Did you mean that the swivel is attached through the forend to the barrel band, instead of in front of the forend? I've been thinking of selling my RS tang safety 22 250 and my little interarms 223, and replacing both with the African 223.
Bfly

black029

Single-Sixer
No, there are actually two separate swivel attachments, a typical stud in the forestock, and the barrel banded one. It's like they took a regular Hawkeye stock and put it on the African. I will take some pics at some point, but fighting weather to get to work, less free time, etc.

black029

Single-Sixer
Apparently I'm not the only one with multiple forearm/barrel studs

I guess you could mount a tripod on one of them.
I have also seen a few pictures that seemed to show a "plug", if you will, in place of the forearm stud. Anyone know if such a thing is commercially available, or did someone just use a grinder and cold blue...............

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I like that setup, especially on the 223. For those afternoons on a hillside watching a hayfield for groundhogs, you can put a good bipod on that forend swivel, and still have a sling to carry it, so you have a free hand for a cooler of iced tea!
Bfly

black029

Single-Sixer
I agree with your thoughts. It just caught me a little off guard.
Anyway, the long promised pics. Sorry there is no zebra hide or mounted grizzly (or woodchuck) to pose the rifle against. Just the all-to-often "carpet trophy"
PS The serial number indicates this was made very recently, and has not been collecting dust in some distributor's warehouse.

black029

Single-Sixer
Same here. If I ever visit Africa there will only be my wife and Canon T5i with me. No guns.
It's just one classy .223. The ebony forfend tip on the current Africans would have been sweet to have, though.