Neat #1 in 375 H&H

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zeus

Blackhawk
This is one I found locally. Serial number dates it to 1978 and somewhere along the way, I guess someone wanted fancier wood. It feels much better to shoulder than a standard #1 to me. See what you think.

Alongside it taller cousin from Dakota in 375.....

Zeus

Blackhawk
The trigger is amazing. Not light but probably one of the best rifle triggers I've felt. VERY crisp and the weight is perfect. I was impressed. Will probably have both 375s out next week sometime to shoot.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Pretty wood. I saw one years ago at a gunshow that had a stock done in Zebrawood, and the forend was full length like an international. Pretty gun, but I could not afford it.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Being a 1978 version I'd presume it has the adjustable trigger, that's nice. I have a later version. Recoil from the bigger No1s isn't all that bad. Maybe it's just the fit I get but the No1 in 458 WM bothers me less than recoil from my CZ 550 in 416 Rigby.

Zeus

Blackhawk
Thanks guys. Still haven't had a chance to shoot it. I shot the Dakota and the 300 WBY yesterday and had about all I could off the bench so I'll take it next time :)

On the trigger, it does have an adjustable version. I assumed all #1s had them. I've started to buy a #1 many times over the years but just never have until this one so I'm uneducated on the trigger options over the years. Thanks!

RSIno1

Hunter
Zeus said:
On the trigger, it does have an adjustable version. I assumed all #1s had them. I've started to buy a #1 many times over the years but just never have until this one so I'm uneducated on the trigger options over the years. Thanks!

I think they all have adj triggers. The early ones have 3 screws (1 hidden) and the later ones 2?

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Zeus said:
Thanks guys. Still haven't had a chance to shoot it. I shot the Dakota and the 300 WBY yesterday and had about all I could off the bench so I'll take it next time :)

The pre-79 No1s have a 3rd screw located inside the action and that is the one that adjusts sear engagedment. Remove the stock & trigger guard and it's easy to get to, simple to adjust. After adjusting you may need to do a touch if fitting on the safety but again, very easy to do.

The current No1s are adjustable for overtravel and trigger spring tension only, not for sear engagement.

On a 375 H & H I don't know that fine tuning the trigger will make a whole lot of "practical accuracy" difference. I recently bought a new No1 V in 220 Swift and feel the switch out was worth it. When Numrich has them in stock the pre-79 factory trigger costs only about $10.00.

wunbe

Buckeye
You wiil be pleasantly surprised by the recoil on your .375 #1. It is by far the easiest of the mid magnums to shoot even with the factory stock and that joke of a factory "recoil pad". Yours has a custom stock designed for scope use with a serious pad. It should give just a mild push rather than a slap.

Nice acquisition. Do you know who did the stock work?

wunbe