RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 pm 
Newly Registered

How do customers of Ruger suggest product accessories?
I would like to suggest an 8 or 10 round magazine for the Ruger American Rifle.

I shopped for a bolt action rifle, chambered in the .30s, and that has a large capacity magazine.
I found Ruger's Gunsite Scout Rifle (http://www.ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/) which has a 10 round magazine. After pondering what I would like in my first bolt action rifle, I decided I wanted a longer barrel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:26 pm 
Bearcat

Not sure what the mechanical design implictions are with the rotary magazine, but I'd like to see higher capacity magazines too. The option would be nice to have. I know the GSR fits the bill, but for someone who might want a value rifle like the RAR I think it would be a real nice option.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:46 pm 
Single-Sixer

About the only way to make a higher cap rotary magazine for the American rifle would be to do a figure 8 configuration like Browning uses on the T-Bolt .22 rifle. The American was designed as an entry level hunting rifle and the 4 round mags are usually available.Bob! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:21 pm 
Hawkeye

For what the rife is intended for, an affordable entry level hunting rifle, high-caps don't make sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:37 am 
Bearcat

A big game rifle does not need a large capacity magazine unless you are a really lousy shot or a poacher. five shots is more than enough in any real big game hunting situation. To me, the M-14- like magazine on the gunsight scout rifle is like teats on a bull. I get the feeling that they no longer make rifles for hunters but more to the taste of those with military fantasies. That's okay I guess but better tools are available to the serious hunter.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:30 am 
Blackhawk

Maybe a bayonet stud too?

wunbe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:34 am 
Bearcat

:lol: Every bolt action assault rifle should have a bayonet stud to hang your body armor up on when you're not engaged.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:27 am 
Hunter

There are two types of shooting: shooting something, and shooting at something.

If you're shooting at it, you need lots of ammunition - - if you're shooting it, one or two shots will generally fill the need. Unless, of course, you're engaging an entire armed platoon - then, I'm completely in favor of it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:33 am 
Bearcat

Yup, maybe all that free ammunition will placate them into not killing you after they capture your position before lunch. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:09 am 
Hawkeye

haven't checked the Oregon hunting regulations lately; they did have a limitation on what was legal ammo capacity. IIRC it was something under "5 rounds". The old Savage 99 internal rotary magazine 308 held the right number in the 50s-60s-70s-80s but I've lost track for current requirment; the Browning autos held a lesser amount, although I forget now it seems like they had about 4+1 or even 3+1 capacity.

These regulations change periodically so it requires keeping up with current application of .gov authority.

At one point "center fire of greater than .223" was required for deer was written into the book. I've been told it's changed in the last 15 years.

High capacity hunting rifles didn't mean "20-30" rounds in a magazine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:36 am 
Hunter

WOW. A new member asked about a hi-cap mag and never mentioned that he wanted to use it for hunting. You all come down on him about a hunting rifle and sound like the politicians who like to associate hunting guns with the 2nd amendment!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:11 am 
Bearcat

How about that?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:13 pm 
Single-Sixer

I'd like to ask the OP why he wants the high cap mags? I have no objections to it, I'd just like to know why. When I bought my RAR .270 Win. I used the discount to order two spare mags. They fit nicely in the free cheek pad pouch. It's nice to have the extra mags at the range. Not sure I would need them all while hunting though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:10 pm 
Buckeye

I can see the desire for a higher-capacity mag; but as I so often do, I have to ask a question -- if you wanted a rifle with a high-capacity option (or a muzzlebrake, or a bipod-compatible stock, or some other feature), why didn't you buy one in the first place? I am not picking on anyone, but it just seems odd to me when folks complain that their $350 rifle won't do what a $500-700-1000 rifle will. Hey, my $17,000 Corolla won't outrun a $40,000 Camaro, either! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:52 pm 
Blackhawk

A little reading for the "more than normal capacity" bolt rifles. http://www.firearmstalk.com/entries/Ext ... ifles.html

His rifle, his question, his money, let him spend it how he sees fit.

And the 5 round capacity usually not always applies to "semi-auto", not bolt or lever.

"Ain't no horse that couldn't be rode and ain't no man that couldn't throwed.