Ruger Pump Action Shotgun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hammie

Single-Sixer
Interesting post. I've been hearing rumors of such an animal, but I suspect it's just internet noise.

For the field, I prefer a double or auto-loader. Not a pump. However, like you, if ruger made one, I would buy it. Just 'cause I like rugers and a ruger pump sounds cool. That's reason enough to buy one.

eveled

Hawkeye
I'd rather see a 12 ga lever action shotgun. Already a lot of new and used pumps on the market already. Ed

mike-c

Single-Sixer
Greetings All,

I called my local gun dealer to order me a Mossberg marine 12 guage pump just a few days ago, and he looked at the computer to see if it was available from two dealers, but could not find one. Yes, I would buy Ruger pump if offered.

Mike

chet15

Hawkeye
Ruger had a prototype of a Model 12 type pump shotgun at the 1995 SHOT Show. It was pulled before the crowd came in so not too many people got to see it.
Then as late as 2003 they'd worked on a semi-auto shotgun.
It is presumed that with the plethora of low-ball priced pump and semi-auto shotguns on the market, that the company felt there would be no way for them to compete.
Chet15

montegomx70

Single-Sixer
chet15 said:
Ruger had a prototype of a Model 12 type pump shotgun at the 1995 SHOT Show. It was pulled before the crowd came in so not too many people got to see it.
Then as late as 2003 they'd worked on a semi-auto shotgun.
It is presumed that with the plethora of low-ball priced pump and semi-auto shotguns on the market, that the company felt there would be no way for them to compete.
Chet15

there is way too many italian,spanish and now turkish shotguns out there,for ruger
to compete in the shotgun market.you are correct sir.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Buckeye Bill said:
If Ruger made a quality pump action shotgun with decent wood, I would buy one. Just Saying! :p

Hi,

Methinks they'd have to price 'em w/ Remington 870 WINGMASTERS (the pretty ones, not their rude, crude Express model siblings), Browning BPS or Ithaca 37 models, and perhaps one or two other "nicer" pump guns made w/ real wood that already own the lion's share of the market. (Even some guns w/ synthetic stocks, like the Benelli Nova, might give 'em a run at that price point.) And I don't see Ruger having much chance of breaking into that market.

OTOH, if they want to make their own rude, crude, half finished, w/ lumber yard wood or some kind of plastic stocks, gun, the market's already FULL of those, w/ the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 Express pretty well established as THE primary choices. Again I don't see Ruger having much chance of breaking into that market.

I don't see any "easy ground" for them to occupy as a "newbie" in the mass shotgun market.

Rick C

eveled

Hawkeye
I think Rick hit the nail on the head. The market is already full. That is why I think they could possibly do well with a lever action shotgun. There is no competition. Either that or an auto loader. A 12ga. mini 14 would be sweet! Ed

I know that Ruger has a good understanding of the market and the potential for new products.

I was not surprised when they introduced the American Rifle into the entry level price mark because I felt that they would offer some features that would cause consumers to select the American over other products at the same price point.

The decision to start producing a Ruger 1911 with a market that is full of such offerings was risky but I think that someone within Ruger understood that they could include some unique features at the right price point that would make it popular and profitable. A well made 1911 I might add.

While the shotgun market is congested, I believe that Ruger could design the type of shotgun with the unique features that would make them popular and profitable.

Something well made, unique and priced right. Oh yes, it would be made in the USA! :)

mattsbox99

Hunter
I agree with Bill. The market may be saturated, but they if they build a pump or auto like their 1911 they will have yet another winner. Don't forget the market was saturated when the LCP, LC9, American Rifle, & SR1911 were introduced.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
mattsbox99 said:
I agree with Bill. The market may be saturated, but they if they build a pump or auto like their 1911 they will have yet another winner. Don't forget the market was saturated when the LCP, LC9, American Rifle, & SR1911 were introduced.

Hi,

It's true, if one doesn't test the waters, one will never know!

There are Remington 870 Wingmasters, a Mossberg 500 and an Ithaca 37 residing here right now. Another 870, an Express model, has my name on it for whenever the seller and I can get together to do the transfer paperwork.

So, while I'm technically not in the market for another shotgun, if I were, what could Ruger offer me that's "better enough" to convince me to stray from my "known" brands? That seems to be an important question for both them and me to answer IF they wish to wet their toes in this market.

Rick C

mattsbox99

Hunter
Last I checked a new Wingmaster was $800+ and the new Ithacas are just as much and impossible to find. Ruger has an impressive dealer network and if they can get the guns to the shelves and offer a quality gun that sells OTD for under $600 they would have a winner.

Interesting,
Ruger may not have the manufacturing capability to introduce another item at this time. Well, that reason alone is enough to put the breaks on. Perhaps things will change in the future. I am going to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

I understand that "Hope is not a method" but I will still be hopeful. :(

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
mattsbox99 said:
Last I checked a new Wingmaster was $800+ and the new Ithacas are just as much and impossible to find. Ruger has an impressive dealer network and if they can get the guns to the shelves and offer a quality gun that sells OTD for under $600 they would have a winner.

Hi,

Chet mentioned they HAD a Model 12 prototype before one of the shows?

Now IF they could get THAT gun in production AND meet Matt's price point (or possibly even the $800+ MSRP tariff for a Wingmaster or M-37), my head would be spinning in circles! Offered in small gauges first, particularly the 20 and 28, there might well be lines forming the instant it was announced.

It would take some SERIOUS engineering effort, as the M-12 design is "expensive" from a manufacturing standpoint, but I think it could be done. Something to think about while their production's still booked solid?

Rick C

Latest posts