ruger #1 6.5x55 loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wandering1

Bearcat
OK so I have a load for this with a 120 grain bullet but I am wondering about 140 grain. I have tried 140 grn nosler partition with h4350 and only so so results. ist it possible that this gun might only shoot the smaller grain bullets??? I have heard that varget might be a good choice as well.

any advice is appreciated.... by the way I think this number one is just a dream to shoopt.

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
Longtime fan of the 6.5x55 here. Reloader 22 is the best I have found with 140s. Exact charge varies with the rifle. The published loads keep dropping, apparently due to the company lawyers worrying about old military rifles. No worries with Ruger #1, or Win M70. One thing to check - a lot of these have really long throats. Accuracy is usually better when the bullet is seated just off the lands. Just be sure you have enough bullet shank in the case to keep it straight during handling in the field. Some of mine have a throat like a giraffe......

hammie

Single-Sixer
My experience has been the same as Mr. Watergoat's. For the 6.5x55, Reloader 22 is your best friend. My Remington 700 in 6.5x55, shoots like a .22 PPC match rifle.

mattsbox99

Hunter
The various 4350s are great for the 120 grain bullets, but like the others I prefer a slower powder for the heavier bullets. Find some data for strong commercial actions, its seperate from the military action data.

wandering1

Bearcat
I will try rl22 and varget. I have some loads that I have found so I hope I can get something pretty good.

On another note the trigger on the number 1 is probably 5 pounds or so. is this trigger easy to adjust????

sailorb

Single-Sixer
I have 4 6.5X55s. They all like slightly different loads. But in my humble experience, you can count on 4 powders, Reloader 19 and 22, Hodgdon 4350 and 4831. I have found 4831 to be the tightest grouping with 140 gr bullets and RL 19 the best with 120s. IMR 4350 works good as well, but is harder to meter and work with. Stick to the slower powders, I can't imagine Varget or anything in that range working as well.

VAdoublegunner

Single-Sixer
My Ruger Model 77 likes Re19 with 120 Noslers or 129 Hornadys. Really likes those...

When I move to 140s, I find that Re22 is a better powder. But the truth is, I haven't found that much need for the 140s because the lighter weight bullets shoot and perform so well.

I generally like Varget for many applications, and it should work well in the 6.5x55, but for some reason I've never got around to trying it. Sometimes even inveterate handloader tinkerers just have to say, "well it works, and there are so many other things to improve (but that doesn't mean you can't come back to it later! :wink: )."

Chief 101

Hunter
I really like the H4831sc for daytoday consistency with the heavies in that cal. So many powders so little time.

hammie

Single-Sixer
VAdoublegunner makes a point I overlooked, and so I will "second" his post. I've pretty much abandoned the 120's and the 140's in favor of hornady's 129 grain as a good compromise weight. It simplifies my bullet inventory and works great for deer. For the few and rare times I got drawn for elk, I used a bigger caliber rifle. Although, if I had to go on an elk hunt and only had a 6.5x55, I wouldn't feel undergunned.

@chief101: quote: "so many powders, so little time." Hilarious. I could also add, "so few empty cases". I've been accused of shooting for the sole purpose of obtaining empty brass so I could sit at my reloading bench.

Flouncer

Bearcat
H4831sc :wink:

Look at a burn rate chart. Varget is way up the page. But whatever works !!!

Watergoat

Single-Sixer
My Sierra manual gives 35.8 gr Varget as the accuracy load with 140 gr bullets. Somewhere I recall an article in which Kevin Thomas said that was their go-to load in 6.5x55, that it shot well in most any rifle. Made no sense to me that a powder that fast would do better than the normally preferred slow burners, but I tried a batch anyway. As usual, Kevin was right.

sailorb

Single-Sixer
Mike-C
How do you like the Creedmore? I am a 6.5 junkie and have been eyeing that along with the 6.5-.284. Seems like the Creedmore makes more sense, like a modern 6.5X55. The .260 Rem never did it for me. I am curious as to your experience. On paper, it looks like the perfect 6.5.

mike-c

Single-Sixer
Greetings Sailorb,

I bought one of the early stainless bolt action Rugers with a 26 inch barrel. I really wanted the 6.5 x 55 Sweed, but missed the boat on those. Consequently, in my search for a 6.5, the Creedmoor appeared. I had considered the 6.5 x 284, but Ruger does not chamber that round. I am not a target shooter, but I do like to bust an occasional varmint. If you will compare the Creedmoor, to other 6.5 rounds, you will have to go to a magnum cartridge to beat its speed by 200 fps. Further, you can blow out 22-250 or 250 Savage to make cases. It has mild recoil, and should be deadly on deer size game. In short, I like the round.

Mike 8)

mattsbox99

Hunter
I also have a 6.5 Creedmoor in the Ruger VT. Its a .5MOA shooter out to 600 yards with the Nosler 140 grain Competition bullet. This rifle is heavy, but I would say recoil is going to be very low even with the lighter hunting weight rifles too. Case life has been decent so far with the Hornady brass, but I've read of a few people have problems getting more than 4 reloads out of it due to primer pockets expanding. I hadn't heard of blowing out 22-250 to make brass but if my Hornady brass doesn't hold up and I burn through the 300 cases I have I might have to give that a try.

Latest posts