Gunsite Scout with stainless barrel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RMHoward

Single-Sixer
Maybe this has be answered here somewhere but i cant find it. After handling a GSR yesterday, i have decided it will b my next rifle. The only thing i wish it had was a stainless barrel. Not a real big deal, but i try to stick with stainless here in humid Florida. From what i can tell, the export version going to Australia is stainless. Seems like a no brainer to me to put a stainless barrel on it to go along with the laminated stock. Does anyone know if they will offer a stainless version here soon? Any ideas on why they would make export version stainless, but not ones for homefront? Thanks

mike-c

Single-Sixer
Greetings,

I also have been thinking about the scout rifle, but would prefer stainless with a couple more inches of barrel. If it was chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor, it would be irresistable. :oops:

Mike 8)

Mark in GA

Bearcat
Amen to that! A 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor in a stainless scout with at least 18.5" of barrel (20" would be my 1st choice) and I would be salivating!

Mark in GA

Just got my Gunsite M77 and I am impressed. I like the blued barrel and action so SS is not an issue for me. Additional calibers would be nice. I could see it in .223 and many others. I hope that the scout title does not restrict the options. This rifle, is very useful and optional chambering's would only make it more appealing. IMHO!

A

Anonymous

The Gunsite surprised me, because I had always thought .308 was the best all purpose rifle caliber. Them apparently agreeing with me made me feel a little smarter, for once.

Since "all-purpose" is the stated goal of the Gunsite, I don't expect any new calibers, at least not anytime soon. Myself, I could do without the rail. The Ruger ring mounts are enough.

Mark in GA

Bearcat
I guess, I'm odd but in short-actions when the topic of best general use or overall use caliber come up I always think about it and then vote this way:

1. 260 Rem
2. 7mm-08 Rem
3. 308 Win

I know others will have different opinions.

Mark in GA

dgoalie

Bearcat
Although I agree that from a pure scout rifle perspective the 308 is the "correct" cartridge, I'll give you my reasoning for wanting other short actions. There are a lot of people that want this gun as a hunting rifle (let's face it, it will see more real world use that way). Many of the features of this rifle make me want one for my kids (oldest is 6) as he grows up. The barrel length and adjustable length stock make it the perfect kids rifle, and the removable magazine makes it easier for them to load and unload. So, to put a 308 in it forces me to use managed recoil or lighter loaded ammo, but the 260 Remington would be perfect for a youngster just starting out hunting. Oh, and now that it comes in a left handed action it only gets better for me as 2 of my 3 kids are cross-dominent.

That is my take on why Ruger should produce it in other calibers. It's for the children!

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Mark in GA sez:
Amen to that! A 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor in a stainless scout with at least 18.5" of barrel (20" would be my 1st choice) and I would be salivating!

YES! 6.5 Creedmoore with 20" barrel,...when can I place an order?

Over the last year I've been changing out all my M77MkII and Hawkeye rifles and going to 20" barrel versions. That length is very handy in the woods around here, yet still retains enough barrel to have decent ballistics. There's an open spot for a rifle midway between the M77RL MkII in .223 and the HM77RS in .308. That 6.5 GSR would be almost ideal.

Ted

Ruger_rules

Bearcat
Buckeye Bill: "I think that Remington 6.8 SPC would be a good fit for the rifle."
and
44thumper: "I second the 6.8 for the GSR. When can I place my order?"

Amen !

Ruger is making a Stainless Scout Rifle for Australia as you mentioned in your post...probably will be available here sometime next year...

RugerAustralianGunsiteScoutRifle.jpg

sebtool

Blackhawk
Actually, there's a stainless barreled GSR on GB right now. The seller has it priced at $885 IIRC, and states - "Find another 1!" :lol: Must have an 'inside track'.

harms

Bearcat
sebtool said:
Actually, there's a stainless barreled GSR on GB right now. The seller has it priced at $885 IIRC, and states - "Find another 1!" :lol: Must have an 'inside track'.

Could you post a link?
thanks

sebtool

Blackhawk
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=248719127

The listing expired at 11:19 a.m. today, and was not re-listed. Those 1 day auctions are a PITA, IMHO! Listed at $825, nit $885. :oops:

If I wanted that rifle, I'm sure I could figger a way to get in touch with them and make it happen.

harms

Bearcat
sebtool said:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=248719127

The listing expired at 11:19 a.m. today, and was not re-listed. Those 1 day auctions are a PITA, IMHO! Listed at $825, nit $885. :oops:

If I wanted that rifle, I'm sure I could figger a way to get in touch with them and make it happen.

Thanks

Latest posts