Hawkeye M77 Ultralight 30-06

Help Support Ruger Forum:

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
Bored and want a new rifle- never a bad reason to buy a new rifle. I own three 30-06 M77's and this is my go to round here in Utah for deer and elk. It has never failed me. Thinking of messing around with a HKM77RLFP- Hawkeye ultralight in 30-06.

20inch barrel
synthetic stock
matte stainless

I Have three standard Hawkeyes in various calibers-like the rifle and know it well.

My question is for those of you who own one in this configuration - of course the barrel is shorter but is the contour smaller diameter? Just looking at where they cut the weight. How does it measure up to a standard 22 inch? Is there really that much difference? They stopped production so, something sounds as though it didn't go right?

Any info would be appreciated-did a forum search and didnt come up with much.

TBear77

Single-Sixer
The ultralight barrel has several weight reducing differences.

It is a smaller diameter at the muzzle. The 22" barrel usually measures around 0.550" at the muzzle; the 20" barrel around 0.500".

The point where the barrel transitions from the 1.2" straight contour to the taper (breach end) is about 0.75" shorter on the 20" barrel.

IIRC they stopped production due to demand, rather than something not going right.

Ted

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
TBear-thanks -seems like it is not too much different than a standard-just enough to be interesting.
Do you own one?

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
pcgod, read the post I remember that now-don't know why I couldn't find it when searching?
Anyways, sounds solid and will suite my needs. I will probably put a 2x7 or a fixed 4x-6x Leupold on it. I like the idea of the 1x5 I have never owned a straight tube scope but it makes sense on this rifle-well thought out on your part. I really never hunt above 6 power on my variables and over the past year have been drifting toward smaller scopes.
Question, have you shot it past 100yards? Not super important but curious seems this rifle is in alignment with all my Rugers.

TBear77

Single-Sixer
6mmsl,

Own 2 (or correctly owned, given both to my son) one in 243 and the other in 7mm-08. Put Leupold 2-7x32 scopes on both.

In case you're wondering, I replaced the 7mm-08 with one of the new HM77RS models in .308. Similar to the Ultralight, but with thicker barrel and sights. See: http://www.ruger.com/products/m77RugerCompactMagnum/specSheets/37101.html

Ted

pcgod

Bearcat
I really haven't shot it past 100yds or so. However, I would not have an issue taking a 200yd shot with it based on my testing.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
TBear, again thanks, that certainly is another option. I have considered the .308 as well,I saw that on the Ruger web. If I went that way it would my first M77 with sights. What is that cross bolt/pin? is that functional or just for looks.

TBear77

Single-Sixer
I think it's a situation where the stocks already had the cross bolt. This rifle is a Ruger Compact Magnum model but in 308 instead of an RCM caliber.

Ted

EVR

Single-Sixer
You will absolutely flip over this rifle.

I have a .308 Ultralight and it is a peach.

Very light, very handy, very accurate.

I have used it extensively on varmints {ground squirrels} shot for coyote bait and it is a very nice little rifle to carry.

Also, the .308 Ruger {another reason I like it} has a 1/10 twist. Handles long {heavy} and short bullets, too.

A couple years ago I worked up a dandy load using the 220 gr Hornady RN that gave me 2200+ fps and serves as a fine duplicate and-then-some of the old respected 215 gr .303 British. I plan to give a couple other rifles a rest and use this one on elk as I think it would be a real dandy, and very easy to carry over our tough slopes and hard terrain.

308varmint2jpg.jpg

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
Whoops, posted my replies on pcgod's .308 thread-my mistake - take a look looks like the 30-06 for my first ultra-light . I will keep you posted on progress. Got to get her shape for fall.

Thanks for the notes- I needed a push.

MADISON

Single-Sixer
Hawkeye ultralight in 30-06.
I hope you dio not have the trouble I had with my .223 Ultra-Lite.
In order to bring in a smaller than 3 1/2 inch group I had to bring the velocity down to 2600 fps. That is .22 Hornet velocity.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
Okay! It is on it's way. Bought the 30-06 Hawkeye Utralight today. Been scouting Elk in my hunt area all week and things are looking good!

Keep you posted with pics and how things progress. This is my 1st Ultralight looking forward to a successful partnership.

Got a VX3 2.5x8 to go on top.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
Will be here Friday!

Elk scouting is going good - have 4 Bulls in velvet found already- now to keep an eye on them through the summer.

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
Got it - it is flawless!!!

Will send pics -

Cleaning and installing scope-

This rifle is awesome - needs to shoot as good as it looks!

6mmsl

Single-Sixer
Need help! I love this rifle - anyone know of the location of a .243 Hawkeye Ultralight? NIB only-

Chet15??????????????

Thanks

6mm Remington

Single-Sixer
I think you picked the perfect scope for that rifle. IMR4350 or H4350 and a 165 gr. Accubond or Partition would work perfectly for you. I think you did very good! I'm a firm believer in having my rifles glass bedded if not both pillar and glass bedded. Makes the wood a little more stable and gives the action a perfect stress free fit to the stock which should mean better accuracy and consitancy. Good luck friend as you did very well! We expect pictures and range reports soon! :D

All I shoot in my 30-06 is either the 165 gr. Partition or Accubond and I love them both!
David.

SHOOTER

Buckeye
What do you guys think of the older M77 ultralights? They came with sights and no sights?...308-30/06&223!