Hawkeye M77 Ultralight 30-06

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SHOOTER said:
What do you guys think of the older M77 ultralights? They came with sights and no sights?...308-30/06&223!

Old thread, but still relevant...

I've hunted with a MkII UltraLight .30-06 for quite a while. Longer than I remembered. Bought it new. I just looked up the s/n and discovered it was new in 2002.

Great rifle to carry and hunt with, but not very forgiving at the range. Doesn't take a lot of heat in the pencil barrel and the group really opens up. For two or three shots, it's great. 8)

SHOOTER

Buckeye
I never knew Ruger made a stainless Hawkeye model lightweight. What's the model number and barrel length. Thanks

WAYNO said:
SHOOTER said:
What do you guys think of the older M77 ultralights? They came with sights and no sights?...308-30/06&223!

Old thread, but still relevant...

I've hunted with a MkII UltraLight .30-06 for quite a while. Longer than I remembered. Bought it new. I just looked up the s/n and discovered it was new in 2002.

Great rifle to carry and hunt with, but not very forgiving at the range. Doesn't take a lot of heat in the pencil barrel and the group really opens up. For two or three shots, it's great. 8)

SHOOTER said:
I never knew Ruger made a stainless Hawkeye model lightweight. What's the model number and barrel length. Thanks

Mine is not a Hawkeye.

KM77RLFP MkII

20" barrel.

But they did continue this All-Weather Ultra Light into the Hawkeye production...
Ruger HKM77RLFP M77 Hawkeye Ultra Light 30-06 Spfld,

35ruger

Single-Sixer
I have a lightweight Hawkeye with the 20" barrel in 243.
It`s a joy to carry and shoots Federal 80 and 100 gr. blue box very well.

The Buck pictured was taken with a Ruger M77 RL MKII in 270

SHOOTER

Buckeye
Are the MarkII stainless ultra lights as light! As the older M77 tang safety ultra lights with the 20inch barrels and ebony forend???

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I bought a new Ruger 77RL 250 Savage in 1983. Neat little rifle but a few likes and dislikes: muzzle blast is noticeably worse when in cold humid weather hunting without hearing protection, especially after rechambering to Ackley Improved. What I thought after having it for a while is that Ruger could have used the super skinny barrel contour - but left the barrel at 22" like Remington did with their 700 Mountain rifle. I had one of those, too (243).
However here in Georgia I don't often have to climb mountains when hunting, and a 22" or even 24" barrel does not seem awkward to tote around.