Ruger American or (?) in 6.5 Grendel?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I like the new TC Compass I recently purchased but not particularly fond of the magazine. I'd really prefer a rifle that uses AR type magazines. Also feel the smaller Grendel cartridge fits my expectations better than the Creedmoor. So, looking for personal perceptions/opinions from actual Ruger 6.5 G owners.

We're looking for an upgrade for Grand Daughter's deer gun with a bit more reach than the 300 AAC but w/o the recoil of a 243. Personal perception is the 6.5G may be the answer. Recoil is very light and it's carries enough energy to ethically shoot deer @ 200 yards. I've had excellent results using a 257 Roberts factory level loads and the 6.5G is very similar in bullet weight and velocity. I feel the box magazine is safer and more manageable than an internal magazine for the less experienced users and since I have 6.5G AR's it would be a big plus if the bolt action uses that magazine.
I currently have 2 AR platform 6.5G rifles. One is a 20" medium weight barrel which is acceptable accuracy wise(not a tack driver but adequate for hunting deer). The other is a failure and is slated for a barrel swap. Something just isn't right inside the barrel and I've wasted 100 rounds of ammo chasing the Grendel gremlin so I'm done with it. I really liked the look and feel of the fluted lighter weight barrel but it's not working.
I have the 20" rifle set up to use later this month to shoot some freezer deer to get an idea of bullet performance and will post if I get some terminal performance results.

wanderson

Bearcat
I have a Ruger Predator 20" in 6.5Grendel.
Mostly shooting steel case Wolf with E-Lander, CPD & ASC mags.
The ASCs are the 15 round straight mags. They get kinda stubborn over 12 rounds but work. CPDs chamber the smoothest.
VERY good accuracy compared to my ARs, very light recoil.

Good accuracy with Wolf is amazing. I get anywhere from 2-5" groups depending apparently on the sign of the moon since weather conditions or shooter skill doesn't necessarily have any effect. A 20" barrel would be the upper end of acceptable and 16" would be preferable and muzzle threading is a must have. Losing a couple hundred FPS from the shorter barrel isn't going to be a big deal under 200 yards.

Still waiting for real world performance results on the 6.5G. Grandson yipped his shot on a doe last week hitting her at the withers. Yeah, she went right down due to the 2" hole through the spine but that's not what I want to see. Maybe this weekend, he can do better or I'll use the rifle on a couple of meat deer.
Looks like a 16" barrel might get around 2400 fps on a good day. That's OK for a 200 yard meat deer gun. I saw some figures on 10.5-12" barrels that were down around 2000-2100 fps. That's going to limit bullet performance significantly at much beyond 150 yards.
I'll be looking for a Ruger that uses AR magazines if/when this crazy crap winds down.

Grandson hit a doe behind the right shoulder at abut 125 yards Saturday evening. Problem is the deer was quartering toward him so he only got a piece of one lung and ALL the stomach. Deer ran less than 100 yards with little blood trail and toppled over. Fortunately, they were able to mark the fall in the 5' tall CRP grass or recovery would have been impossible. The bullet isn't at fault for the placement and it did a lot of damage with at least 18" of penetration. Ammo used was Federal MSR 123(?) grain. We didn't have the opportunity to test the Hornady 123 SST which I would expect to be a bit more violent in expansion. Maybe next year.
From my perspective, the 6.5Grendel is an adequate 150-200 yards deer round. I still prefer the 6.8 SPC based on the simple fact that I've found the 6.8 to be more generous in regards to the ammo choices. Our 6.8's seem to shoot anything from 90-115 grains with similar accuracy while the 6.5 G appears to be mostly a "one trick pony" with accuracy all over the board except for it's "preferred" ammo.
I'll probably buy a 6.5G bolt action if I can find one within the next year simply because it's nearly impossible to find a 6.8 in a light, compact package suitable for the kid use.

Latest posts