Were after-market synthetic stocks ever made for early M77s?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Kenny B.

Bearcat
Are there, or have there ever been synthetic, after-market stocks made for the early edition M77's? I have a .30-06 77R, vintage approximately 1976-77 that I would like to convert to black synthetic. I have looked a few places, but to no avail. Thanks for any replies. Kenny B.

gunzo

Hunter
Along with the Ramline^^ I've seen them by Bell & Carlson(the old carbelite) I had a Brown Precision once upon a time, & thinking they might still make one. And, McMillan still list them.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I hunt with my 77r in 338 in a ramline. Cost me $25.00 back in the day. Works just fine. I keep my wood stock for show.

south_ridge

Single-Sixer
I know it's not synthetic...but I've had good luck with laminated stocks from Boyd's for tang safety M77s. In case you're just looking for a replacement of some kind.

SR

I have a late tang safety .25-06 heavy barrel that was damaged by luggage handlers in the mid '80s. At the time my Brother was attending the Colorado School of Trades and restocked it with a synthetic. As I recall it was a McMillan. I don't think it was a common item then, but maybe this will work for you:
/https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks-by-brand/mcmillan-fiberglass-stocks/sporter-hunting-stocks.html

jaytee

Single-Sixer
I've got an early M77 in .280 that has an early fiberglass stock made by a gunsmith in the Fort Collins, Colorado area back about '85 or so. Great fit and finish and its lightweight. Actually thinking about maybe selling it.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I have a ruger 77 tang rifle in 338 win mag with a fiberglass stock .I had to add lead to it because it was so light to be able to shoot it .

Kenny B.

Bearcat
Thank you, one and all for your replies. I thought I found a Hogue over-molded model on eBay. The fine print said for a Mk II. Mine is the older, tang safety issue. It will probably be only a miracle I ever find one.