350 legend shoe drops

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Exploded

Bearcat
I'll probably get run over for this but how many calibers do you need ? If you go from start to finish, there are thousands of calibers, how many have identical ballistics but just a different name and all do the same thing. Of course, one may have 5 fps over another but what does it matter ? I was thinking after reading all the 350 posts, maybe we need a competitor for the .17 cal , how about a .2 or .3 I'm sure there would be a market for it !! :roll:

mac66

Single-Sixer
Exploded said:
I'll probably get run over for this but how many calibers do you need ? If you go from start to finish, there are thousands of calibers, how many have identical ballistics but just a different name and all do the same thing. Of course, one may have 5 fps over another but what does it matter ? I was thinking after reading all the 350 posts, maybe we need a competitor for the .17 cal , how about a .2 or .3 I'm sure there would be a market for it !! :roll:

Good point, however some calibers are good for specific things while others are good for other things or fills a niche. In the case of the 350L you get 35 Rem ballistics in a straight walled cartridge that you can use in limited rifle states and....in an AR type rifle if need be. Fills that niche.

grobin

Blackhawk
I agree with mac66!
If you live in an area where a 30-30 ballistics make sense-particularly where only straight walked cartridges are allowed the 350 makes sense; particularly for an AR, where choices are limited.

There are some cartridges that are true general purpose: 30-06, 308, 300mag, 270, ..., particularly if you reload. Other cartridges e.g. 300BLK, 7mm-08, 257 Roberts really fill niches as does the 350.

The current problem with the 350 is a lack of bullets. ¿Will handgun bullets be good or just "well they work"? If rifle bullets are needed there are only a hand full today.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
Please tell me they are offering a left-hand Ranch in .350.
I mean, if the ARE offering a left-hand Ranch in .350.

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
I just got my Ruger Ranch 350 in today. I'm still waiting on ammo to come in. I ordered some 145gr FMJ and some 180gr
I'm wondering if anyone has fired/chronographed their 350L rifle be it auto or bolt?

mac66

Single-Sixer
Online article on the 350L at Realguns. There are some ballistics of loads though he only chronographed some 145gr loads.

https://www.realguns.com/articles/1106.htm

Part II will have some other loads.

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
Exploded said:

https://youtu.be/PMYuhaceWMc

rangerbob

Buckeye
If one is not limited to straight wall cartridges and wants a 35 caliber Ruger American, the 358 is by far and away the way to go. It's like comparing a 300 Blackout to a 308. I load my 358 BLR with the 200 grain Hornady Flextip over Reloder 10 @ 2650fps and it is stout. The American in 358 is probably the best buy ever in a 358. Bob! :mrgreen:

mac66

Single-Sixer
Another article (with ballistics) on the 350L

https://www.wideners.com/blog/350-legend/?utm_source=Widener%27s+Specials&utm_campaign=b42d2588fd-NL_%2A%7CDATE%7C%2A_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4dbd7b7ce3-b42d2588fd-66242309

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I thought the existence of the 350 Legend was a joke at first, and it is.

Advertising was a straight up straight wall lie right out of the starting gate, ask any 444 Marlin shooter.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
350 Legend is a scaled down 450 Bushmaster, and the Bushmaster has displaced the 444 Marlin. No joke.

mac66

Single-Sixer
LuckenbachTexas said:
I thought the existence of the 350 Legend was a joke at first, and it is.

Advertising was a straight up straight wall lie right out of the starting gate, ask any 444 Marlin shooter.

For the purpose for what it's intended for, the 350L makes sense. 35 caliber bullet in a straight walled case with beaucoup energy and light recoil, and it comes in a reasonably priced, compact bolt gun and an AR platform. What's not to like?

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
LuckenbachTexas said:
It ain't much more than a 357 mag and not the fastest straight wall cartridge like advertising claims

Name another straight wall cartridge with standard factory loads that is faster. Please do not include belted or rimmed cartridges.

grobin

Blackhawk
SteelBlue said:
LuckenbachTexas said:
It ain't much more than a 357 mag and not the fastest straight wall cartridge like advertising claims

Name another straight wall cartridge with standard factory loads that is faster. Please do not include belted or rimmed cartridges.

Well if you want to exclude almost all straight walked cartridges maybe OK. BUT I'm sure that there are a couple weird Wildcats out in the bushes. Winchester's claim did not exclude belted or rimmed and is marketing fluf. Now most new cartridge intros have come with marketing speak (BS) so that's no big.

But why is one undesirable characteristic of the 350 a big deal? Higher velocity means further over travel and more hazard if there is a miss!

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Its not a big deal. Many factory straight walled cartridges have a higher velocity with significantly larger bullets than the 350 L.

I only wished they woulda made it faster but maybe the rifles just can't handle it.

grobin

Blackhawk
Folks seem to be missing the point of the 350. It's a limited range cartridge for hunting in relatively congested areas. More velocity would make the 350 less suitable, the higher velocity of the bottle necked cartridge is why the straight wall areas were permitted: to mimic the lower velocities of the shotgun! The big weakness of the 350 is the use of pistol bullets not velocity!

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Hmm, Me thinky the AR platform had something to do with it, Otherwise the 35 Rem is good nuff.

I think its a crying shame good folk are subjected to restrictions based on BS. Higher velocity only results in longer range in the open unobstructed. Why not a powdered metal projectile doing 3,000fps?