#1 weird serial number

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chilidog

Single-Sixer
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/757133761
On picture number 12 the serial number looks like some of the numbers are light and over the 130 looks like a 1 is over the 0.

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
I can't tell. Ask the seller for a close-up picture. It looks like a nice rig with a nice old Burris scope.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
It's just an illusion in the photograph. It's clearly a 130-01XXX when I enlarge it. A nice 1970 rifle in nice shape; basically a non-prefix gun without the 3rd checkering panel on the forearm.

chilidog

Single-Sixer
It is a good looking rifle. I like the second generation checkering and the serial numbers below 130-05000 have Douglas premium barrels. Most of them are great shooters.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
chilidog said:
It is a good looking rifle. I like the second generation checkering and the serial numbers below 130-05000 have Douglas premium barrels. Most of them are great shooters.
That's actually 1st generation checkering. The second variation type didn't occur until a year or two later.

pete44ru

Hunter

Started @ $699, no reserve, no BIN, and no bidders with 6 days to go.

I wonder when the snipers will start bidding ?

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
Gunbroker is changing their listing policies to start charging a re-list fee after 90 days. Their justification does not take into account that rare or collectable guns may take longer than that for the right person to find them.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
chilidog said:
The first generation had the diamond checkering on the forearm.

Yes and no. Non-prefix first generation had the third "diamond" on the bottom of the fore-end. The early 130-prefix guns are just like a non-prefix gun (i.e. buttstock checkering) but without the third checkered panel on the fore-end.

The second checkering variation is obviously different in how far back the checkering goes on the grip of the buttstock. It's all very well illustrated and described in Clayton's No. One book.