A Ruger No.1 that would sell a lot....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

picketpin

Buckeye
YEP. BUT thry Might sell more 284s with 3 maybe 4 made back in the early years as opposed to 243s that have been made since day one one in multiple configurations including "V". Or the 220 Swift "V" that was cataloged for 30+ years and were still readily available used instead of trying to sell more because they are "new". Most the odd ball cartridges that 5-6 guys like are just that oddballs. The market MIGHT be those 5 guys. ;-)

This is the reason that they did not make a bunch of cartridges in the #1. Bill Sr. thought it silly to duplicate performance just to add a cartridge.

RWT

Rocdoc

Buckeye
picketpin said:
This is the reason that they did not make a bunch of cartridges in the #1. Bill Sr. thought it silly to duplicate performance just to add a cartridge.

RWT

Yep I figured this a long time ago, x caliber bullet at y velocity does the same thing. Swore at one time no new cartridges, no new calibers, but I have failed badly, just ask my wife :( .

wunbe

Buckeye
This thread, at this stage, has become the very definition of a sterile exercise.

Wishes aside, the facts are:

Ruger will not listen. They never have.

The limited offerings for next year will please few of us. Even fewer of those folk will be able to afford the MSRP.

The diehard collectors will buy at least one no matter what it is. So the limited run probably will pay for itself.

Next year at this time we will be doing the same damn thing.

Ad nauseum.

wunbe

gunzo

Buckeye
22/45 Fan said:
After 7 pages of this thread and dozens of flights of fancy and impractical wishes, it still must be realized that absolutely NO version of the #1 is EVER going to sell a lot. It's a very specialized rifle and it's appeal is limited to a small group of advocates and enthusiasts.

Bingo !

And.. that small group will continue to shrink.

bigskyguy

Single-Sixer
ohiosam said:
I'd like to see some No.1s with 26" B barrels and AH forends, no sights. Also a .22lr A or RSI, a .22 hornet RSI, AND a .17 Rem V.

I had a 22 Hornet RSI made.

I would really like to see more 24" "a" weight barrels like the Lipseys 25-06 and the 275 Rigby.

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
"Truth be told, the Ruger No. 1 is never going to be a big seller as most of the shooting public isn't enamored with a single shot rifle."

--CO Steve

I am partial single shot rifles. Maybe it is because I grew up shooting my grandfather's Low Wall M1885 .22LR Winder Musket. Over the years, I have been lucky enough to have that Low Wall and several other single shots from Ballard, Browning, Sharps, and M1873 Trapdoors, as well as 1 No.1 -- a .45-70.

I joined a now-defunct gun club in 1983 and moved out of the area in 2001. In those 18 years, annual membership was approx. 1600 and the range was open to non-members. I shot there every Saturday and Sunday, sometimes on Fridays as I worked a 10hr, 4 day schedule. In all those years I observed 3 or 4 No.1's on the firing line.

When I retired in 2001, I moved out of state and the gun club I now belong to has about 2100 members. I shoot there 2-3 days a week. I only know of 1 other shooter who periodically shoots his No.1, as it is his back-up elk rifle. Another shooter has sold off all of his No.1's as he says just lost interest in single shot rifles.

In fact, except for the occasional black powder cartridge rifle silhouette competitor, I believe that I am the only single shot rifle shooter who shoots there. I would say that 98% of the shooters use bolt rifles or some version of a semi-auto. Even the lever actions are few and far between.

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
Every gun show I have a couple out for sale I have to explain to people how they work. They are not much more than a curiosity now. I was again describing how one works to a middle aged guy at a large gun show this weekend and was asked," Can you adapt it for a magazine?" :(:(

BigBlue

Single-Sixer
Cabela's had recently run a sale on the #1 at $799 each. Easily $500 cheaper than I see them priced elsewhere. There were about 8 different cartridges to choose from, two of which were in .243 and they all sold out in less than two weeks. I was lucky enough to pick up a .30-06 and a .280. Now if I could also get one in 45-70 I'd be one very happy guy.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Did you get the S or the A in 30-06? Great deal. Suppose the question as to a Ruger #1 that would sell a lot, has been answered by Cabalas.

BigBlue

Single-Sixer
Rocdoc said:
Did you get the S or the A in 30-06? Great deal. Suppose the question as to a Ruger #1 that would sell a lot, has been answered by Cabalas.

Both the .280 and the .30-06 are the 1A LT Sporters. I haven't gotten to shoot the .280 much, just tried one load so far. The .30-06 is a shooter. I added a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40 scope and after zeroing the scope at 50 yards I took it to 100 yards and took these two shots using plain Jane Remington 150gr Core-Lokt ammo.

359401d1511302421-ruger-1-sale-cabelas-fullsizeoutput_12d.jpeg

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I'm happy to have ordered and received a No.1S medium in 30/06. I really like the 24" barrel.
The $799 Cabelas sale was a 'no brainer'!

GAO LLC

Single-Sixer
Rocdoc said:

There is the answer;
Standard production runs. $799
"One-off" specials for us oddballs from the (non-existent) Ruger custom shop or Ruger licensed third party. $1200 and up.

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I think 264 win mag ,338 lapua ,,375 Winchester ,444marlin ,250 savage ,405 Winchester,416 Ruger ,470 capstick,500 s&w .I think runs of 2000 of each should sell pretty good !

Latest posts