Ruger PC9 - rattling like hell !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sebastians

Bearcat
Hello folks,

Greetings from Germany !

I have an issue with my "like new" Ruger PC9:

If shook, there is a really loud rattling noise in the foreend.
Upon inspection, it seems, the end of the counterweight and bolt have
so much space, that the foreend of the bolt assembly clanks against the underside of the barrel.

Is that normal and something I have to live with ?

Thanks for any help !

Al James

Hunter
"Is that normal and something I have to live with ?"

In my experience with the PC carbines I would say yes to both. They are great guns and a very robust design. My only real complaints about the PC platform [aside from the parts situation] all relate to the blowback design. It is a heavy gun for its size and chambering, perceived recoil impulse is more than a 9mm or 40 should be IMO, AND that dang forend rattle!

While not nearly as important in the real world....I do like weapons that can be field stripped without the need for tools. Most Ruger designs share that idea. Ironically, to capture the mainspring on the BLOWBACK bolt..... a tool is needed. If stuck to that design Ruger would have been smart to integrate a takedown tool on board the stock to be accessed only when needed.

Hopefully they will address that for me the next time Ruger brings out a PC carbine! :wink:

Have fun with the PC9! I've never had one let me down.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
If stuck to that design Ruger would have been smart to integrate a takedown tool on board the stock to be accessed only when needed.

Hopefully they will address that for me the next time Ruger brings out a PC carbine! :wink:

ruger will not go down that road again! I bet they lost a lot of money on the PC9.PC4?

I took mine out and there was no rattle and then I realized I had the bolt locked open... with the bolt closed I guess there is what you might call a rattle if you shake it real hard but it's more of a thump than a rattle.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

A number of years ago, I was looking for a 9mm pistol. LGS had a CZ-75 and a Ruger P89, both new, within a few dollars of each other. I handled each, and the Ruger rattled. I asked about that, and the salesman smiled. "Oh, that's just the famous 'Ruger rattle'", he explained. Sounds like even with changes in their guns, they've kept that one family trait throughout the line. I don't think it causes any real problems, but can't say from personal experience. I bought the CZ. ;)

Rick C