#1 in 7.62x39 first range trip-big disappointment

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azleite

Single-Sixer
Hi Folk's, I finally got my new #1 paid off, went to the range this morning. Inserted one of my reloads ( Virgin Win. brass,26.2 grns H322 under a Hornady 123grn SST @ 2.190" & Win. primer) pulled the trigger & got click instead of bang. Ejected it and rechambered it-bang! Now the gun is locked up solid, let it sit a bit & tried again-still stuck. Pointed the muzzle skyward & rocked the lever gently and the shell came out. Checked the case & the primer was hanging out about halfway?!! Tried another same story. A guy in the next lane over was shooting a vepr & he shot three of my reloads without issue-primers were fine. I tried some WWB I brought just in case, wouldn't even fire them-just light strikes. The guy with the vepr turned me on to a few steel case com-bloc's he had. They fired in my gun perfectly. Some of the folks at the range said my gun has a head space problem. About ten years ago I had a CZ527 in this caliber & had light stikes with WWB.We were comparing the steel and brass cases side by side and there is a noticeable difference in the shoulders. This gun has beautiful wood & I'd hate to send it back to Ruger. Think if I bought some foreign brass it would fit the chamber better? I don't want to shoot steel case stuff in this gun. Anybody else with one of these have these issues? Thank's for any help=Dave

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Were I you, just buy a case of commie steel case ammo, Hornady sells same with I think an SST bullet,commie steel cases softer than ordinance steel so should not be a problem long term. Thats what I shoot in mt little commie #1, no issues, had a savage 110e many years ago, touch off a round and I could barely open open the bolt with a lot of effort, head space issue I thought so I got rid of if to a gunshop.

holmegaard

Bearcat
Hmm... would have thought the Ruger would be chambered for SAAMI specs. CIP spec (European) brass might be the ticket. Found some for sale here:

http://www.selwayarmory.com/prvi-partizan-7-62x39-unprimed-brass-bag-of-100.html

Can't comment as to quality; I don't handload in that caliber.

The Hornady steel case SST ammunition is fantastic from my CZ 527M, but of course that's not the answer if you really want to handload.

Rockrat

Single-Sixer
Or they will tell you its within specs and send it back to you and you will still have FTF issues. My 460 S&W was that way. Borrowed a breechblock from another gun and fired every time. Just saying.

Hope you have better luck with your X39

led

Single-Sixer
Get headspace gauges and check it yourself before you send it back. It's possible your reloads might be out of spec. Also, I agree with the above advice, just shoot steel case ammo.

P.S. For the record I have loaded 7.62x39 and I concluded it was a waste of time.

Later,
Stephen

dfletcher

Blackhawk
I reload for a CZ527 in the X39, can't say that I get much better accuracy with them than cheap factory stuff. The Hornady is a great bullet for that cartridge though. After 45 years of reloading this may be a dumb question, but how about neck sizing the steel cased stuff that seems to go "bang" the first time? Not possible? Once fired the shoulder issue, if there is one, should be resolved.

Hornady uses a really long sizing button and with lube might pass OK.

Grafs carries the Privi brass too.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Did you full length size the brass? As most 7.62x39 is used in semi autos most dies will size to absolute minimum specs to ensure feeding. I would try and see if a unsized case will chamber. If so just neck size and try a few rounds. If they work they will form to your chamber,so keep the brass separate for this rifle and just neck size.

Another possible but unlikely die issue is the expander dimension. The die might have a expander sized for 308 diameter bullets. The hornady bullets are .311. If you try seating a 311 in a case sized for 308 you might have a problem. It is a very long shot, but possible that you are slightly crushing the case as you seat the bullet due to the force of expanding the case as you seat the bullet. This could possibly bump the shoulder back. Very very unlikely but would not hurt to measure the expander. Also if your crimping with your seating die a heavy crimp can move the shoulder slightly. The amount of shoulder movement of either situation usually would not be enough to cause problems unless it is stacking on top of something else.

If your chamber is cut max end of specs your sizing to min specs that alone may cause issues. Possible moving the shoulder a hair when seating or crimping it would add to the problem.

All that said I would first run a go and no go gauge through the gun and see what that tells you before chasing a ammo problem that may not exist.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Thank's Folk's for all the replies. Mike, I'm using Lee dies & they come with two mandrell's. One for .308 & the other for .310 bullets. I used the .310 when I full length sized the new Win. brass & did not crimp. I ordered a collet die from Lee with a custom made mandrell for .310 bullets as there collet only comes set up for .308. My intensions are to use it on the fired brass if I can get it to shoot. I took a scooter ride Sat. & stopped at the shop where I bought the gun & picked up some Privi brass ammo to try this coming Sat.+ I found some S&B I forgot I had to shoot as well. I still don't know why those primers backed out, never had that happen before? I truly appreciate your input-Thank's-Dave

mike7mm08

Buckeye
From the info I can find your powder charge is very light to even under min.. You can get pressure spikes with light loads. Powder can detonate instead of burn. This could cause the blown primers.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Forgot to add headspace can case blown primers as well. If headspace is excessive the primer will not be seated against the breechface. When you fire the round the primer wants to leave the case just like the bullet. If the primer does not fit tightly to the breechface it will move regardless of pressure levels.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
The easiest solution is to load up some rounds with bullets seated out to touch the rifling (i.e. "crush fit" when you close the lever). This should ensure ignition and will fireform the brass to your chamber's dimensions. From then on, you should have no problems as long as you don't oversize the cases and move the shoulder back.
I doubt that Ruger would let anything out the door that isn't within SAAMI specs. The problem I think is that some rounds like the 762x39 and maybe a few obscure others (like the 460 S&W?) have either a WIDE range of chambers, origins and ammo sources (in the 7.62x39's case).
Setting the fp stop collar back a few thousands to increase protrusioin, or trying a different firing pin, might also solve the issue.

azleite

Single-Sixer
Thank's again Folk's for all the great feedback! I did go back & ck.my load data to make sure I didn't goof up. I got the recipe from Hornady's book as a mid load rated at 2000 fps. but I'm going to ck. some other sources & see if I need to bump it up. I'm hoping it's just a matter of differences in U.S. ammo vs. the foreign stuff since the factory loaded Winchester rounds I tried wouldn't fire at all. I think the train of thought of having the bullet seated out farther (as on my handloads) is what allowed them to fire at all + I feel enlightened on the primer situation-makes sense. I'm looking forward to trying to make her work this weekend as I agree (and hope) Ruger wouldn't let one out with a bad chamber. Thank's again-Dave

azleite

Single-Sixer
Hi Folk's, made it to the range this morning. Freezing but really nice out. Shot 50 rds. of privi brass ammo-not one problem. The litte gun is accurate & a pleasure to shoot. Noticed the barrel heats up after about ten rds, pretty cold out so I didn't have to wait long between groups. Lesson learned- don't waste your time with Win. ammo in #1's chambered in this caliber-Dave

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I enjoyed reloading for the two SKS rifles I once had. There are some interesting articles in old RIFLE/HANDLOADER magazines on the 7.62x39 round. One article showed loads from 3K + fps light pistol (.312-.314") bullets, and subsonic loads using a 185 grain (.312" ?) round nose bullet intended for other cartridges. If you want I can look up the article. I still have a stack of the magazines. I subscribed to both years ago until Wolfe publishing launched a large subscription price increase. I never subscribed again.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I'd certainly be interested in those articles.
And I hear you on the quality of the earlier Rifle/Handloader magazines versus what they have become now (just another grocery store magazine rack "latest and greatest" conduit, or rechurning of the same old topics). I sure miss the information that was in the old issues.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I copied the RIFLE #112 article pictures/tables if you have a way to post/text/email them. them

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I have pictures from the RIFLE #112 issues showing some interesting 7.62x39 loads, but need a text # or email address to send to. I can try to understand Photobucket again but it's not easy on my iPhone.