#1 in 416

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pete44ru

Hunter
R77PA said:
Is this a rare #1 or is my local gun store wrong as the have 1100 on tag

Not rare, so to speak - but definitely a specialty rifle (a DGR/Dangerous Game Rifle).

IMO, $1100 is fair - considering the store owner is entitled to a profit, and that new #1 production is becoming hard to come by, in both physically & financially.

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
About 10 or 12 years ago I was at the annual Sand and Sage gunshow in Garden City, Ks and a seller had a #1 chambered in 416 Rigby. I looked it over real good and the guy begged me to make him an offer but I don't hunt dangerous game and couldn't think of any good reason to buy it, but it sure did peek my interest. If I remember correctly it had an after market barrel installed, as I don't think Ruger ever offered this chambering.....did they?

JFB

Hunter
I have a #1 416 Rgby. I haven't shot it in decades but recall it was more of a pleasure (or was that less punishment) than the #1 300 WM

picketpin

Buckeye
My best educated guess is UNCOMMON as compared to RARE. All the 416s; Rigby, Remington and Ruger were cataloged for more than a couple of years and production was probably in the hundreds of each, at least. I've seen the Rigby and Remington on GB over the years for as low as $850. To me that's an honest "I want to sell it price". $1000 or so is the "I have time to wait" price and $1250 is sort of "Top".

Once it passes $1000 it better have pretty decent wood and that should improve as the price gets higher.

If you find an early Red Pad 416 Taylor, it's damned RARE. About 50 were made.

RWT