Ruger drops the 77

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I keep reading this thread, and I keep looking at Ruger's website.

It seems that some folks are confusing the suspension of the rotary-magazine 77's to an all out discontinuance of all 77 rifles. First, the rotary magazine 77's, eg: 77/22, 77/44, 77/357 are a completely different rifle than a genuine Ruger 77. I kind've wished Ruger had not used the 77 as part of the model designation for these rotary mag guns, since they have nothing in common with the original or any variation of the Model 77.

Next, I still see the Hawkeye as still being very available in Ruger's website. Maybe splitting hairs, but I consider the Hawkeye as a Model 77, in spite of some cosmetic and manufacturing changes.

Lastly, I think some folks confuse the mediocre-to-dismal accuracy of the rotary mag 77's to rifle-caliber M77's. I have had exceptional accuracy performace from the majority of my 77's and/or MkII's. So, agreeing with the assumption that the new American Rifle series is inherently accurate, I will not agree that it is across-the-board more accurate than a M77, a MkII, or a Hawkeye or Gunsite Scout. So, I for one, would still absolutely rather own any M77 over any American. And, I absolutely still prefer the M77 box magazine over any chintzy plastic removable magazine in a hunting rifle.

So, for those lamenting the passing of the 77, I don't see it as being gone. It remains in Ruger's catalogue, and I can buy a Ruger Hawkeye, brand new, every day of the week,

WAYNO.

63November

Single-Sixer
WAYNO said:
I keep reading this thread, and I keep looking at Ruger's website.

It seems that some folks are confusing the suspension of the rotary-magazine 77's to an all out discontinuance of all 77 rifles. First, the rotary magazine 77's, eg: 77/22, 77/44, 77/357 are a completely different rifle than a genuine Ruger 77. I kind've wished Ruger had not used the 77 as part of the model designation for these rotary mag guns, since they have nothing in common with the original or any variation of the Model 77.

Next, I still see the Hawkeye as still being very available in Ruger's website. Maybe splitting hairs, but I consider the Hawkeye as a Model 77, in spite of some cosmetic and manufacturing changes.

Lastly, I think some folks confuse the mediocre-to-dismal accuracy of the rotary mag 77's to rifle-caliber M77's. I have had exceptional accuracy performace from the majority of my 77's and/or MkII's. So, agreeing with the assumption that the new American Rifle series is inherently accurate, I will not agree that it is across-the-board more accurate than a M77, a MkII, or a Hawkeye or Gunsite Scout. So, I for one, would still absolutely rather own any M77 over any American. And, I absolutely still prefer the M77 box magazine over any chintzy plastic removable magazine in a hunting rifle.

So, for those lamenting the passing of the 77, I don't see it as being gone. It remains in Ruger's catalogue, and I can buy a Ruger Hawkeye, brand new, every day of the week,

WAYNO.

What you said! +1

I like certain aspects of the American design, but the American also lacks some characteristics which make it a serious hunting rifle IMO. I bought one son an RAR in 243 as his first centerfire. And older son got a Hawkeye previously. I regret the purchase of that RAR, not because it doesn't shoot fine, but because I still need to buy him another, solid rifle. Those RARs seem like fine truck guns, or collective family starter rifles, but I don't see them as the kind of trustworthy tool I want to rely solely upon out in the wilds.

kenv1950

Bearcat
Just run across this thread. Acquired my first Ruger rifle today ( M-77 ) in 7MM mag.

Blackmore

Blackhawk
mohavesam said:
As-evidenced by the Mayodan plant, the second initiative is what we know as "dumbing-down" the designs to enable all products to utillize semi-skilled or entry-level labor. skilled labor is obsolete insofar as Ruger's business model.

Here in NH with our <3% unemployment rate in Sullivan County and people leaving/retiring, Ruger simply can't hire or is unable to pay people smart enough or willing to be trained to make a 77 series rifle.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
WAYNO said:
+1 The Hawkeye is an M77, in some ways newer and improved. I can't believe this isn't obvious.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
22/45 Fan said:
WAYNO said:
+1 The Hawkeye is an M77, in some ways newer and improved. I can't believe this isn't obvious.

-- I'll put Ruger's marketing dept. in touch with you. They should know what you know... ;)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
mohavesam said:
22/45 Fan said:
WAYNO said:

-- I'll put Ruger's marketing dept. in touch with you. They should know what you know... ;)
OK, so how do you think the Hawkeye is fundamentally different from the M77?

mohavesam

Hawkeye
It has been explained already within this thread. Give us a rest please.

Look at the Guide gun. It is not a Model 77, it is a Guide Gun. Ruger sets the marketing, no one else. Look at the Hawkeye and squint if it makes you feel better, but it is still a Hawkeye. Close, and derived from a 77 MkII, but still a Hawkeye.

kenv1950

Bearcat
Would like to find out how to order some screws for a 1974 M77... the screw that holds the floor plate and the two screws that hold the trigger guard in place. Thanks

Response:
We no longer offer parts and service for this model. You may send in your firearm to our NH facility and we will offer you a replacement model of your choice at a discounted price. Please contact our Customer Service Department for further information at 336-949-5200 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you.

kenv1950

Bearcat
FergusonTO35 said:
For the lack of three screws, Ruger considers the rifle totalled. :oops:
You got it ............ don't really need the screws I just need things in perfect condition

Blackmore

Blackhawk
kenv1950 said:
FergusonTO35 said:
For the lack of three screws, Ruger considers the rifle totalled. :oops:
You got it ............ don't really need the screws I just need things in perfect condition

Might want to make these guys aware of Newport's response. They do quite well selling CZ and Anschutz screws they've had made. It would be another big niche market for them.

https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/index.php