Hunting with your Ruger #1 this fall?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Don Lovel

Hunter
I am using my 300 mag #1 Oct 15 for elk, I used to use a beautiful #1A light sporter in .243 for whitetails in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Missouri, great woods gun with 100gr Nosler Partitions. I had to sell that beautiful rifle to fight off life events, so I am Looking forward to getting to take a decent elk with this #1 in 300. Got it sighted in 2" high at 200yds with 180gr Noslers. checked it at 300, 400 and 500 and about 650yds, was able to hit 10" targets at those ranges holding ranged mildots on center mass, which is the way it is suppose to work I hope.

Anyone hunting with a #1 in 7x57 Mauser or 6.5 Swede? Bucket list #1's

lefty315

Bearcat
I picked up another 1A in 7x57 last fall. It is shooting some amazing groups with a 145 grain Speer BTSP. I just took delivery of a 6.5x55 RSI last night. I traded a 3-9 for aLeupold 1-4x20 with a German #1 reticle. If I can get to the range I may have to take it for a hunt or two.

RJ556

Buckeye
Don, I'll be hunting driven boar this fall/winter, here in Romania with my 7x57 KM77RSI and will probably use my K1A in the swede to hunt roe deer in late spring. RJ

6mm Remington

Single-Sixer
I hunt with a Ruger 1B in 6mm Remington. My what an antelope and deer slayer that thing is with 100 gr. Nosler Partitions. I've taken one elk with it also!

My Ruger 1B in 30-06 is also a sweetheart! I use 165 gr. Accubonds or Partitions in it! Both are super accurate.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
Yes I will #1s 45/70 Tn deer best not come near my stand. Or should I say better come near my stand.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
If i decide to hunt (not a biggie for me), there will be a #1 used. Be either one in 7x57 or .45-70 as the .300 H&H i haven't fired yet.

Flyrod

Bearcat
I won't be hunting in a rifle-friendly state this year. When I do, the only rifle I have used to date is a No. 1 RSI in .30-06 wearing a 1.5-5x20 Leupold. Loves Federal Fusions. I've taken it to MN for bear and WY for pronghorn. Three shots, three gut piles, with style!

redbeagle2

Bearcat
will carry my red pad 7x57 rsi and K1A 6.5x55, my two favorite #1's for Virginia whitetails. the challenge of hunting with single shots keeps me interested.

Boatbuilder

Bearcat
I'm no expert hunter and started doing it late in life at 44 after many years of camping, hiking, backpacking, and some paper punching with SA Rugers. For the last 11 years it's what I look forward to more than those pursuits. After a year of carrying a Remington 700 SPS, I decided to get what I really always wanted - a No. 1. That got me into reloading, more No. 1s followed, and, well, you folks probably know where this is going.

This year I saved nearly all of my leave and drew tags to hunt three rifle seasons in CO with No. 1s.

I just took a nice pronghorn doe this week with a K1B that I had re-barreled to 6.5-06. The rifle shoots 3/8" groups with 50.5 grains of RL-19 and 140 Partitions if I do my part. That load took the doe at 257 yards in a good breeze. Wonderful cartridge.

In a couple of weeks I'll hunt bull elk with a recently acquired K1A in 35 Whelen that seems to prefer the 250 Partition and 53.5 grains of RL-15. I haven't found a good recipe for the 225 Partition in that rifle yet, but my backup with be a blue 1A in that chambering that does like them with 58.0 grains of RL-15. Both of these rifles have very long throats and it's difficult to find the right seating depth for accuracy. The lands cannot be reached at any reasonable seating depth. The 1A is a light and easy carrying rifle in this chambering.

The week after that I'll hunt deer and cow elk in a different area with a 1A in 6.5x55 using 46.0 grains of RL-22 and the 140 Partition. This combination is capable of 3/4" groups with just the right forearm screw tension and bit of inner tube under the barrel (got that tip on this forum - thanks!). I have previously taken deer with a 1A in 30-06 using factory loads, and a 7x57 RSI that is absolutely deadly with the 160 Partition and 47.5 or 49.5 grains of RL-19. The RSI is a joy to carry in the mountains and usually goes along regardless of what other rifle might be taken.

I'm still not a very proficient hunter and have yet to get a shot at an elk, but there isn't much I'd rather be doing and it sure beats 60+ hour weeks at the office the rest of the year.

pulaski

Single-Sixer
This year I will be chasing deer with my #1 in 30-30 .
Spent the summer working with a 170g cast bullet and got them going into a 1.25"
Looking forward to putting the smack-down on a WI. whitetail with a cast bullet from this One.
Steve

Trebor Snave

Bearcat
My 6mm No. 1B took two antelope does the second day of the season, just before sunrise about 30 seconds apart. 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, about 335 for the first one and 350 for the second. In a couple of weeks it will be chasing mule deer. If I can get a zero before the season (not likely, I'll admit!) I may take the 1H 375 H&H out to see if we can find the worlds unluckiest elk.