Soft market?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
I've been suggesting in passing to people that the gun market (maybe just the used market?) seems pretty soft to me recently.

Here is a prime example for the No. 1 aficionados: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/578393058

This probably represents close to the bottom end for a nice No.1 on a major internet auction site that did not somehow escape "under the radar". This one had 11 bids from 9 bidders, but still sold for only $680. I'll bet the seller wishes he had started the bidding higher, or lowered his BuyNow price (which was $950).

The winner is getting a 1V 220 Swift for about half of what the newer run of these are/were selling for last year.

It appears to me that guns in forum classified sections are also moving slowly, if at all.

I follow other things on the auction sites too, and it's the same for most guns, other than the ongoing feeding frenzy for Colt snake guns, and a few other "it" models. Things that do sell, often get only one bid.

Is it the economy, uncertainty about the future, or just nearing saturation level for some corners of the gun market?

It is a soft market....for used firearms. Working behind the gun counter for a large sporting goods chain, new firearms are selling well. Most sales are striker fired semi-auto pistols and tactical shotguns, and to lesser and surprising extent AR's. The slowest sales thus far seem to be wheel guns and hunting rifles.

I have had several traditional used firearms for sale locally with little interest. Don't know why. Not quite convinced it is the economy based on new gun sales....

I think it has been soft for awhile. There has been a few collector on this site that have sold off a lot of there guns. Not really a lot of young collectors. The young people are running around grabbing up the black guns. Walnut and blue have gone out of style!

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Doesn't bode too well for me nearing retirement and expecting to sell off a fair percentage of my accumulation in the next year or two.
Oh well, be it guns, stocks or whatever, my nickname could be "BHSL" (buy high, sell low) :cry: :roll:

gewehrfreund said:
Doesn't bode too well for me nearing retirement and expecting to sell off a fair percentage of my accumulation in the next year or two.
Oh well, be it guns, stocks or whatever, my nickname could be "BHSL" (buy high, sell low) :cry: :roll:
I know what you mean!

I echo the soft sellers market. I've always got stuff for sale. I have offerings on a local board, at very fair prices that have remained unsniffed for months. The biggest part of the soft local market is the background check requirement in Oregon. Pretty much shut my sales down overnight. And selling on the Ruger Forum, lots of similar items at similar prices. Add shipping and any transfer fees and it's pretty much not worth listing my items.

Guns are a part of my "portfolio", and like a tanking stock market, do ya liquidate, or wait for the rebound? And hope by then, there's still some mature collectors that appreciate blue and walnut and revolvers.

WAYNO.

DGW1949

Hunter
Aside from paramilitary type weapons and/or SD handguns, I don't know of too many people who are buying guns (or anything else) these days "just because". On the other side of that coin, I know quite a few people who are presently trying rid of guns which they have no real need for.

So yeah....from where I'm sittin', what I call "the general gun market" looks perty-soft to me too. I also agree that there's deals to be had these days which would have been unheard of just one or two years ago.
That's great you're a buyer , but not so great if you're the seller. Either way though, I don't look for the situation to change much anytime soon.

DGW

Yea, I think it's just a changing market, I come from the motorcycle world, I always have a tourer, a café bike, a chopper, and a classic bike on hand and over the years the values have really changed with the times. It's not uncommon to see a $100,000 WCC bike sell for $8000. I build/buy my bikes to ride, I buy my guns to shoot, investments, well, they're risky.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Different markets within the big picture. With the interest in the single shots lessening, it's understandable, especially in what is to many a unknown chambering. With the used v new aspect... I know a lot that just cannot fathom the idea of buying any used. Most are the newer/younger shooter that "knows" yet can't demonstrate it - the millennial still enjoying mommy and daddy's money.

DGW1949

Hunter
gewehrfreund said:
"And seldom is heard, an encouraging word . . . ." :(

That would depend on which end of the mule you're standing at.
I'm not a gun collector by any stretch, so I seldom buy one.
That said though....a couple of months ago, I did take advantage of the present market situation long enough to grab a lightly used 70's era Remington 1100 off of Gun Broker for $280.

DGW

RSIno1

Hunter
220 Swifts are plentiful and that one has pretty plain wood for a red pad. There are a lot of new people buying guns right now and they don't seem comfortable buying something they know little about used.
If Hillary gets elected watch the prices of No1 and bolt guns soar as they will be the last of the banned/siezed.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
1. Despite what the Obama admin says, the economy sucks.
2. Much of the populace has less expendable money now than they had a decade ago. Priorities.
3. The number of hunters reached a high in 2010-2011 at 19.25 million and was down 15% to 16.7 million in 2015. Fewer people are needing hunting rifles.
4. Low dollar hunting rifles seem to be selling.

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer
WAYNO said:
gewehrfreund said:

Not entirely true. I'm still buying as many guns as ever. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

Me too! I think I'm at eleven since February and have plans to pick a few more up when I find the right prices. :D

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
cyborgt800 said:
WAYNO said:
gewehrfreund said:

Not entirely true. I'm still buying as many guns as ever. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

Me too! I think I'm at eleven since February and have plans to pick a few more up when I find the right prices. :D

Well, I suppose any of us are buyers if the right thing comes along at the right price.

Just curious, what are you buying (and please don't tell me it's striker fired pistols and black rifles)?

gewehrfreund said:
Well, I suppose any of us are buyers if the right thing comes along at the right price.

Just curious, what are you buying (and please don't tell me it's striker fired pistols and black rifles)?

I can't say I've not purchased black rifles and striker fired pistols, because I have. :oops:

To name a few...I've bought a Mini Thirty, AK-47, 77/357, three shorty Super Blackhawks, a couple New Model Flattop convertibles, a birdshead Vaquero, a Ruger American Pistol, a S&W Shield, a 40th Anniversary RCA Flattop, and a few Security/Speed Sixes. I do cover many bases, but it's safe to say, more revolvers than anything. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
I would find that Swift to be the exception, other than the rule. I have sold 5 Number 1Vs in various calibers over the last several months and gotten exactly what you would expect them to bring

Latest posts