Mini-14 Gas Bushing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
I just ordered the Gas bushing kit from ASI for my mini. The kit comes with 4 different sized bushings. I would like to get some input as to what size to start with. The object is to stop the spent brass from flying into to next county while still allowing the rifle to function as it should. I would also like to know if installing a 1911 buffer will be of any advantage.

In a week or two as funds allow I will also be installing an ACCU STRUT. I have an early 186 series pencil barrel model. It's currently in a Houg overmolded stock.

Any input will be appreciated.

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
Thanks , I was hoping to get some input here though. I find that there are way too many opinions on that forum. Too much to weed thru.

DGW1949

Hunter
My blued 'n wood Ranch Rifle runs 100% with LC 5.56 ammo and a .045 bushing.

I put a Wilson 1911 buffer over the end of the op-rod's spring guide on mine in an effort to lessen the impact load on the factory (cup and cross-pin) "buffer". Reason was, I've seen Ruger's factory buffer Ass'y break clean in two.
So far, the Wilson buffer been in there for a bit over 1000 rds with no ill effects, but I can't say as to whether or not it is actually doing anything though. Nor do I know how well it would have held up had I not calmed-down the gas system prior to it being installed. In fact, all I know for sure is that the combination of doing both is working fine for me.

Hope this helped somewhat.

DGW

I installed the .040 bushing in my 583 series mini-14. It reduced the ejection from 40-45 feet to about 15 feet. Still 100% reliable. I also installed a 1911 bushing at the op rod cup. At this stage I have no idea if the bushing has made a difference but it hasn't hurt.

hickoryhillbill

Single-Sixer
I have a 183 mini with a 045 bushing and buffers on both ends of the op rod.Very smooth and reliable with 6 ft ejection.

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
Well I rec'ed the kit today. Going to be 100 degrees tomorrow so it sounds like a good day for a bit of gun smithing.

Way too hot to do any yard work.

eveled

Hawkeye
FergusonTO35 said:
Does anybody make an adjustable gas block for the Mini?

Accuracy systems does. You can dial it down so low the gun won't eject the shells at all. Basically turning it into a bolt action, making it a lot easier to pick up your brass.

DGW1949

Hunter
Chuckfish said:
I am going with the .035 bushing and will see if it cycles ok...anybody with some thoughts?

Thoughts?....oh yes indeed;
Measure the length and OD of your new bushings to make sure that they are sized the same as your factory bushing. Reason is, the gas bushing does more than just meter gas. It also establishes how much play the gas piston has AND serves as a locator for the gas block, neither of which it can (properly) do if it's sizing is off.

In other words, if your new bushings are too short or too skinny, you'll need to seek a refund. On the other hand, if they are tool long or too fat, you'll need to trim 'em down to size.

Hope this helped.

DGW

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
Yup, I've gone over the sizing procedures on ASI's web site. I'll just take my time. I'm confident I can handle the job. After all it's not "rocket science" just some accurate measuring with a dial caliper and perhaps some "backyard" machine work with my mini lathe.

DGW1949

Hunter
You are right in that none of it is "rocket science".
Still though, it needs to be what it needs to be...but it seems like you've got that part of things covered already. :wink: .

As for the .035 orifice size which you mentioned....I haven't plowed that particular ground myself, so I'm afraid that I'm no help at all there.
On the other hand, you gotta start somewhere right?...and the worse thing that can happen is that you may need to go up a size until you get to where you want to be.

I do have a suggestion on a related matter though:
In my experience, the threads on the factory gas block screws start getting worn/distorted after they've been used a couple of times, so keeping some extras on hand might be a good idea.

DGW

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
DGW1949, thanks for the info and I will get some new screws on order. I think I'll order a few sets just in case. That way I'll have them in stock. Would you suggest a drop of Blue Loctite on the threads is in order?

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't see any harm in it.....but if it was me, I'd wait until all of my bushing-experimenting was done.

DGW

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I wonder if it is possible to get a Mini to eject only a couple of feet away and still be reliable? I actually the prefer the Mini over other autoloaders but the hard ejection is a big turn off.

Chuckfish

Single-Sixer
As far as AR's go you can get a nice Ruger AR or a S&W AR for about $600.00 that will most likely out perform a Mini just about any day. The Mini has been billed as "The Worlds Most Expensive Plinker" I'm attempting to make mine NOT throw the spent brass into the next county. ( I reload) , and I am installing an AccuStrut in an attempt to get it to not string and shoot MOA or even maybe subMOA groups at 100 yds.

If I didn't already have the Mini-14 I would buy the AR

DGW1949

Hunter
Chuckfish said:
As far as AR's go you can get a nice Ruger AR or a S&W AR for about $600.00 that will most likely out perform a Mini just about any day. The Mini has been billed as "The Worlds Most Expensive Plinker" I'm attempting to make mine NOT throw the spent brass into the next county. ( I reload) , and I am installing an AccuStrut in an attempt to get it to not string and shoot MOA or even maybe subMOA groups at 100 yds.

If I didn't already have the Mini-14 I would buy the AR

With all due respect to Mr Ruger's brain child, I'd say that you are right. Leastways, you are right relative to sitting at a bench while trying to squeeze-out little-bitty groups. You are also right in the aspect that the Mini-14 is what it is and aint what it aint.
As to the part about (a cheap AR) "will most likely out perform" though..."performance" means different things to different people. Hence the millions of satisfied Mini owners.....just sayin'.

In other words, I'm perty-convinced that most of the folks whom I've seen express disappointment in the Mini-14 platform were mostly suffering from a case of emotion-based unrealistic expectations....meaning that most of 'em bought it for "the look" while knowing right from the get-go that it was never intended to do what they "wish" it would do.

Personally, if I had a Mini-14 that I wasn't satisfied with relative to the uses I put it too, I'd be looking for a different gun rather than throw money at what I had...

...but that's just me.
No offense intended.

DGW