Ruger No.1 Rifles in 257 Weatherby are Shipping!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

El Numero Uno

Buckeye
Just heard from my Lipsey's Rep that the 257 Weatherby's are shipping. I could only get one. Also more 1A in 7mm-08 and the 1S in 30/06 have been made. No RSI's in 6.5x55 or the K1V w/walnut have been made yet.

Dave H

Bearcat
I got an email the middle of the week that mine was also on the way. I really have my hopes up for some extra-nice wood and just an overall well fitted and put together rifle. :D

wunbe

Buckeye
When you only build 4-5 small orders for Lipseys a year you will not develop and hone work place skills necessary for the fit and finish of a decent #1. Not while grinding out black rifles that are basic assembly line production as your main business emphasis. Hell, anyone can build those at home as many 'semi-skilled' do.

wunbe

chet15

Hawkeye
The one that was at last weekend's Des Moines 4H building show had very plain straight grained wood that I would call below average grade that wasn't even a good dark walnut color.
Chet15

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
Dave H said:
I received mine today. I posted about in the other thread. No reason to re-post here but I'm disappointed to say the least. Ruger can do better.
I am supposed to get one tomorrow for 1300.00 plus tax. It seems a little steep, what do you think ?
thanks

Dave H

Bearcat
I that's about the going rate. I don't have an issue with what I paid for my rifle (slightly less but not much), but for that kind of money I do expect at least a half-hearted attempt on the part of Ruger to make the wood fit the metal and I don't expect the forend to be cracked when I take it out of the box. 8)

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
Yes, looks like that is the going rate. It is crazy that your forend is cracked, I would think Ruger will fix that, but it's a shame you have to mess with that for this price range & also with the wood not being good.

I picked mine up today. Wood to metal fit is real good, the wood grain could be better but not bad!

chet15

Hawkeye
fremont said:
So, these are the new 2015's with the improved wood Jason was talking about?

They were apparently supposed to be "improved" wood. One guy's opinion from the factory and the final result seen at the shipper are apparently much different!
From the way it looks, about half of new production Number 1's have decent wood.
The only one I've seen in person was atrocious.
Chet15

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
chet15 said:
fremont said:
So, these are the new 2015's with the improved wood Jason was talking about?

They were apparently supposed to be "improved" wood. One guy's opinion from the factory and the final result seen at the shipper are apparently much different!
From the way it looks, about half of new production Number 1's have decent wood.
The only one I've seen in person was atrocious.
Chet15

I dont have a lot of no.1's like some guys on here and when I do break down and buy one configuration I have wanted for years...the 7mm-08...and am pissed that I dropped that much cash on a poor example...pretty much ends any thought of buying a new one ever again without handling it in person first. Keep shooting yourself in the foot Ruger for cryin out loud! And then keep wondering why they dont sell and move on to more plastic crap.

Ive pretty much been done buying new 77's too since the Hawkeye and the crappy finishes. At least they went back to a gloss blue. Now if they would quit with the eyesore of a finish they put on the stainless.

There are more 77 MkII's in the safe than anything but all the rifles Ive bought this year...none have been Rugers. Pretty disappointing really...

Word is Ruger checks in on sites like this but the only things they must see are post saying 'we want more plastic'.

Dave H

Bearcat
I saw one of the .257 Weatherby's for sale on GunBroker that looked like it had decent wood. Nothing as nice as what we used to see, but a whole lot better than the wood on mine. Even after sending mine back to Ruger for the cracked stock, and bending a customer service rep's ear (twice), mine came back with just average wood and not fitted any better than it was on their first attempt. I really hope Ruger does check in on this website once in a while. They can do better.

ohiosam

Bearcat
Dave H said:
I really hope Ruger does check in on this website once in a while. They can do better.

Not sure about Ruger but Jason from Lipseys does. I'm sure Lipseys would like to continue offering these special runs and they need their customers to be satisfied.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
People keep complaining..............but they also seem to keep buying em.........so WHY would Ruger put much effort into making them better

wunbe

Buckeye
Ruger only makes 2-300 of a few models of #1s annually for pre-sold, sight unseen, order from distributors like Lipseys. Given the hordes -- thousands? -- of other guns made and shipped all over the US and Canada, that is a mere trickle of manufacturing focus. And it takes more skill and time to properly assemble, fit and finish, and finally inspect a #1 than it does a black gun or other synthetic piece. The skills and the incentive to do it right hardly flourish in that atmosphere. Ruger's steady corporate deemphasis of its #1 line -- in advertising and product improvement for example -- also relegates it to low priority status even as the constant MSRP rise shrinks the eligible buyer base market.

The Fat Lady is in the wings...

wunbe

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
As stated elsewhere, my .257 Wea. could have had a nicer buttstock but the forearm is very nice, fit and finish is fine. What determines if I keep a rifle is mainly what happens at the range. It is doing MOA with the factory 100 grain load. I will start loading the 100TTSX first & have the 115 Berger, 115 BT, 120 Speer, 100 Partition, 100BT among others to try. I figure I will see 1/2 MOA with something, so count me very pleased.

bisley32

Single-Sixer
I thought this thread could use a little more positive input. Bought this 257wby off of GunsAmerica and picked it up yesterday. The fit and quality of wood are both Excellent. All this and a decent price = Happy Camper!!