Weight of M77 Factory synthetic stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RJ556

Buckeye
Does anyone out there know (for sure) the weight of a factory M77 Hawkeye synthetic stock? I won't have access to my Hawkeye for many months and I was contemplating ordering a McMillan fiberglass stock for it. My rifle is a 30-06, but I am sure the weight of a short action stock would be close. I just want to make sure I get a little weight advantage before paying $500+ for a McMillan. I do not expect anyone to take apart their rifle, but if you have weighed one before or have a take-off laying around that you could weigh, I would very much appreciate it. Thanks, RJ

Kanook

Buckeye
Ruger Hawkeye short action 1.15 5/8 lb with butt pad and sling swivels studs attached.

RJ556

Buckeye
Kanook, I thank you very much for your reply. I assume you mean 1 pound, 15 and 5/8 ounces. Mcmillan claims approximately 2 pounds for their fiberglass stock. They do not offer the "Hunters Edge", ultra-light stock for the M77 MKII or Hawkeye. This being the case, I like the shape and dimensions of the factory Hawkeye stock and therefore I have a hard time justifying $500+ for the extra stiffness and strength of the McMillan. Again, I do appreciate the info. RJ

Kanook

Buckeye
You are correct. Not a problem, I just happened to have the stock in the way and it was useful for something.

PAShooter

Single-Sixer
My opinion on this would be the accuracy of the gun with the factory stock. If you can get good groups with the factory stock even with some tweaking, then stay with the factory. Even a McMillan stock takes some adjustments at times.

Sugar River

Buckeye
Hawkeye Long action (280) stock mold no. "438" = 1.93 lbs
Hawkeye S.A. (358) mold no. "436" = 1.99 lbs
Hawkeye S.A. Ultralight (223) mold no. "434" = 2.01 lbs

FWIW, the McMillan Mkll Hunter I put on the 280 was 1.90 lbs before bedding.

I've been known to collect useless information.

Pete

RJ556

Buckeye
Sugar River, I thank you very much for that great info. How do you like the McMillan Ruger Hunter? If I order a McMillan stock for my Hawkeye, it'll be the MKII Classic. Sounds like it'll weigh about the same as the Factory syn stock. I have two "Hunters Edge" stocks, one on a Win. M70 and one on a Browning A-Bolt II. They are my favorite stocks and I am sold on McMillan quality.

Sugar River

Buckeye
I like the Hunter stock very much. The higher comb fits me well, especially when recoil reaches the '06 sized case level.