Looking for opinions, Good Bad and Ugly on Ruger American

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pps

Single-Sixer
Looking to pick up a Ruger American for my son in .243. He primarily likes whacking varmints and coyotes, but goes with me to hunt things as large as deer, wild boar and black bear.

I've heard the quality control at Ruger (and most companies these days) has been spotty; but since it's primarily JUST those with problems who complain, I'd like to hear from those of you, regardless of caliber choice, who have purchased a Ruger American. How is the build quality? How is the trigger with respect to smoothness, creep, overtravel, stacking etc? How is the accuracy?

427mach1

Blackhawk
Here's a review on the Ruger American if you are interested.....

http://www.gunsumerreports.com/review_ruger_american_rifle_p1.php

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I'll give you my take. A month or so ago I found a rar in 300 blk. I bought it for the grandkids to learn to shoot. I only own and shoot #1s that's my passion. This Ruger does everything I want it too,accurate with a good trigger I think it will take a beating and perform well. That said the only thing I don't like is the magazine, they suck I have a new mag. that works now but why Ruger can not fix this issue is beyond me, that is the only problem I have other than that, I love the gun.

Mine in 308 shoots under an inch with more than a couple of loads. Trigger is nice and adjustable.

I also have the rimfire Americans in 22 and 17. Very accurate. With a 2x7 scope and Eley ammo I have got .25" groups at 50 yards with the 22.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
My RAR in .223 Rem reliably groups under 1" at 100 yards with my reloads and always feeds and ejects perfectly. The trigger is decent as received and a little playing around with the spring improved it significantly. For the selling price I couldn't be happier. Elegant and refined? Of course not but very functional.

gunman42782

Hunter
The only one I ever owned was a .22LR, but it would drive tacks. I know a fella that owns 3 of them, and I have seen his targets, and with his handloads they all are under 1 MOA at 100.

9x19

Hunter
I have three rimfire (.22, .17, .22 Magnum) and two centerfire Americans (5.56 NATO and .300 Blackout).

No complaints, the mags I have all worked right out of the box, and they have all proven accurate.

transalp1961

Single-Sixer
I love mine and I have bunch of other centerfire rifles including Browning A-bolts, Ruger Hawkeyes and Mark IIs, Savages, Remington 700s, and Kimbers.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=220644

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
I bought the compact model for my wife, in 7-08. Got it to replace her Marlin 336 (old model w/o the cross bolt safety). She has had difficulties safely placing the hammer in the 'half-cock" position, so I wanted to get her a rifle with a more positive safety.
First session at the shooting bench, she looked up at me with a smile, and said, "I have found MY gun." She's very happy with it. It has functioned flawlessly, even the magazine.

Jeff

Bearhands

Bearcat
I have the RAR Standard in 243.... Have shot 85gr, 87gr, 100 gr ammo and all of them can be covered by a quarter @ 100yrds. I don't ever see getting rid of it. Read: "Love it!"

Cary

Single-Sixer
My wife had me purchase a .243 RAR in the Predator version for my birthday this year. I really like it and the only problem I have had with it is the magazine would not always rotate the next round up into position. I purchased another mag last week and it has the same problem. Yesterday I flushed both of them out with Breakfree CLP and blew them down good with my air compressor to remove the excess CLP. As of now the mags work great.
Cary

wigwamitus

Bearcat
Thanks Cary, this describes my symptom and I hope my solution (with .308WIN mags, but same symptom) ... will update after trying the break-cleaner flush.

CP

Bearcat
Last year, I purchased an American Compact .308 for my grandkids. Although they have killed three deer with the rifle, they have experienced feeding issues with both the factory, as well as, a replacement clip that I purchased. I had the factory clip feeding reasonably well, but as they got into mid-season they again had some failure to feed issues. Also, of the scores of bolt action rifles that I own, every last one locks the bolt down when on safe, and I find the lack of this feature an unacceptable shortcoming for the hunting conditions we encounter. I am well aware that this is a nonissue for most folks, but it is an issue for me. So, I am over the Ruger and the grandkids will find a Tikka, X-bolt or a Vanguard under the Christmas tree to replace it. CP.