Ruger fanatic not happy with Rugers marketing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

felix cortinas

Bearcat
I own a few no. 1s, all shoot groups in the 1 1/2" range and my .22-250 varminter shoots 1/2" groups with 55 grain bulletts, I have owned No. 1s for over 30 years and plan on buying at least 2 more as a retirement present to myself. I think it is still the most beautiful rifle on the market, guess us old timers appreciate something other than black synthetic rifles.

gunman42782 said:
Most of these young guys would look at you in disbelief if you said you wanted a rifle that could only fire one shot at a time! Or you wanted a revolver instead of a pistol that could fire 17 or more rounds, let alone a single action!!

What he said. :mrgreen:

WAYNO.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
I am by no means a Number 1 collector, or really even a lover of them myself. I have 13 of them, but can't tell you the last time I chambered a round in one of them. They are beautiful, elegant rifles, for the most part well made and the "single shot" thing doesn't bother me at all. Just not a fanatic about them and unfortunately over the years, that is what it usually takes to buy one, hence the reason they are not popular. Not enough fanatics. I have debated selling mine several times, but they remain, although I am not really sure why...............I feel Ruger would have dropped them years ago if not for the fact that they were Bill SRs pet project.

Danny

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1) said:
picketpin said:
When 84% of polled "Hunters" think that the AR platform is a perfectly reasonable and sensible choice it's awfully hard to market a single shot rifle, blued and walnut that just goes BANG.

That right there explains a whole lot. When every "slick" gun magazine devotes essentially every issue to articles about the latest/greatest black rifle variation and/or plastic hi-cap "tactical" pistol (whose advertising takes up easily half the pages of each issue) you know where the manufacturers' heads are at.

We live in different times, guys.

:roll:

Such a true statement. I am 50 now. Back in the day, if you got me near rhe magazine rack I didn't know which gun magazine I would look at first or come home with. Now, I don't even know what any of these things are within the magazine. There isn't ANYTHING in these magazines for me to look at.

Danny

Danny

Single-Sixer
gtxmonte said:
I am by no means a Number 1 collector, or really even a lover of them myself. I have 13 of them, but can't tell you the last time I chambered a round in one of them. They are beautiful, elegant rifles, for the most part well made and the "single shot" thing doesn't bother me at all. Just not a fanatic about them and unfortunately over the years, that is what it usually takes to buy one, hence the reason they are not popular. Not enough fanatics. I have debated selling mine several times, but they remain, although I am not really sure why...............I feel Ruger would have dropped them years ago if not for the fact that they were Bill SRs pet project.

Wow,
I thought 13 would constitute "fanatic". I have less and consider myself a fanatic.

Danny

wunbe

Buckeye
You guys need to recalibrate your bench marks for "fanatic" status. I have 26 of them -- after divesting myself of SS/wood and laminates -- and consider myself only a serious piker.

wunbe

Danny

Single-Sixer
wunbe said:
You guys need to recalibrate your bench marks for "fanatic" status. I have 26 of them -- after divesting myself of SS/wood and laminates -- and consider myself only a serious piker.

wunbe

Wow,
I've got some work to do to get really serious. I won a GB Auction for a .243 1B which should arrive this week. One more down...

Danny

gtxmonte

Buckeye
A No1 "fanatic" is likely described as that being hands down his favorite type rifle. Checks the listings everyday to see what is for sale and would likely trade anything he had for that "just right" rifle he needs. He may own one or two, or maybe 40.

Now while I do own the 13 of them, like I said, can't tell you the last time I chambered a round in one, or really even had them out of their cases. I like them, just like other stuff WAY better. Most of the ones I have belonged to my dad. While not sure he was a "fanatic" he definitely loved them and at one time owned 50. If not for the fact they belonged to my dad, I am sure I would have sold them by now. I hadn't bought one in 20 years, until I recently bought a 1B in 280. Shot it 6 times and that was enough. Couldn't sell it and ended up trading it for a Montana in 280. A LGS has a Stainless/Laminate in 270 on the used rack. While I absolutely don't need it and likely won't use it, I don't own a stainless one, so have thought about getting it.............LOL!!!

rgp375

Bearcat
felix cortinas said:
I have been a Ruger man for many a year, I own 12 M77 in everthing from a .22-250 .44mag (just got it) a few calibers inbetween including .280, 7mm mag, a few No.1s, mini 14s, a few Blackhawk revolvers, my main hunting revolvers. I don't understand why they seem to discontinue popular calibers and popular rifles and then come out with them in dealers like Lipseys at big $$$$$, right now am looking for a RugerNo. 1 in .308 and .257 Roberts and you cant find them. even their own online catalog lists very little, I have emailed Mr. Fifer, I realize it is business but I guess I am just ranting. I know there are higher end more expensive firearms out there, but I just love Rugers.

For limited production and rare No. 1's look here http://www.classicsportingarms.com/

single action

Single-Sixer
Okay my friend owns a gun store and Hornsby set him up with a hunt. His companion was the president of smith and wesson. He inquired about the contender line of guns. Great albeit niche guns now that smith owns Thompson he didn't know what a contender was. Yes times they are a changing. Sad IMHO Bob

Gonfishn

Bearcat
OMG - say it ain't so! I guess I fall into the elderly category when it comes to Ruger's as I've just recently, in the last year or so, acquired the bug. I have an affinity for the .223/5.56 and 7.62x39 in the rifles (one each of the Mini 30 and Mini 14) as well as a Number 3 in .223 and a NIB Ruger Number 1 in 7.62 (never fired), stainless, choice stock which I was fortunate enough to obtain from a fellow Forum member. Right now I'm trying to round out a collection of Ruger Standards, MKI, MKII and MKIII as well as a couple of 22/45's. A lotta youngsters talk about old and dumb when it comes to us older folks but hey, when it comes to shootin, ya outta see em come over to the bench when I pull the ol #3 out and marvel at its weight and beauty and shooting. The question always arises as to "where can I buy one", especially in the popular (read cheap) calibers, and they're somewhat taken aback by my explanation that they're outta production. Of course I direct them to a Lipsey's dealer (if they can find one) and hope the available caliber will suit them. I think a lot of it, from my limited experience, is just a matter of putting it in the hands of the market (younger folks) where they'll see the absolute joy in shooting one of these fine single shots.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Yep, they are interested, until they find out one will cost them over $1000, is a single shot and will most likely be outshot by a $600 bolt gun. The Number 1 has ALWAYS been a niche market. It is really the only NICE single shot production rifle that has survived.........but probably wouldn't have if not Bill's baby and now because of Lipsey's. Browning 78s, Wickliffe and other nice single shots all went away long ago

Gonfishn

Bearcat
Sad to say but Single-Sixer is right and the costs are right up there mine costing half again as much as was noted (but worth it to me personally). There are a few Number 3's out there for less than the $1K mark but again it's the caliber that kills the sale. Since single-sixer noted it, now I gotta look up the Browning 78 and Wickliffe and hope he hasn't started me on another quest :)

artey

Single-Sixer
I've been tempted many times by a no. 1 but so far I've stuck with just admiring my uncles. I'm a Browning 78 man and have been since I was a teenager. I had a Wickliffe at one time...a very ungraceful rifle compare to a Ruger or 78, with a hammer that doesn't cock itself, and a rediculous second safety thats hard to get to with a scope mounted. Theres a ton of single shots out there for sale, and i agree with everything thats been written above, but foe not being popular the prices sure haven't dipped.

Jordan

gtxmonte

Buckeye
I wouldn't call a Wickliffe ungraceful by any means..............I have one in 22 Hornet and it is a beautiful rifle

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I just checked Gallery Of Guns and they currently list the No 1 International in .257 Roberts and the No 1 Light Sporter in .280 Rem. MSRP is $1500 for either but you can get several local quotes at a somewhat better price.

wunbe

Buckeye
felix,

Good on you! My favorite too.

I have several dozen of them. My site names are 1B, oneb, wunbe and my vanity plate is Ruger1B.

Now, that's fanaticism.

wunbe

Gonfishn

Bearcat
gunman42782 said:
I work in a gun shop. You honestly want to know what we sell the most of? As much as I hate to admit it? Glocks, and Glock copies (SR 9s etc.) It hurts this old mans feelings, but that is what sells now a days. Most of these young guys would look at you in disbelief if you said you wanted a rifle that could only fire one shot at a time! Or you wanted a revolver instead of a pistol that could fire 17 or more rounds, let alone a single action!!

God Bless You for nailing it on the head. And while I agree with a previous post about a companies bottom line, I think we owe Jason at Lipsey's some kudos for keeping the #1 alive, even if it's an "old timer line :) I think Lipsey's is smart in the way they market the #1's, limited runs so as to insure the runs all sell. Glock this, Glock that, that's all the public see's nowadays as it relates to article about the military, police etc. Let's face it, they (Glock) had a good PR run with securing government contracts, etc. Another conundrum with Ruger in the near past is their QC, there's some junk out there that misses their pre-sale inspection AND more importantly, they're cheating in some of the design specs, i.e., dovetails etc.