"Hydrid" Ruger #3/#1 44mag/444Marlin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have just accumulated an interesting Ruger #3. It is a pretty rifle, BUT....

1) It's a #3 action with #1 wood.

2) Originally chambered in 44 Mag, now 444 Marlin.

I know, the collector value is gone, BUT what an interesting platform. The man I purchased it from says his Dad had the conversion done and shot both 44 Mag and 444 Marlin in this rifle. I am skeptical. It chambers 444 Marlin just fine. The chamber throat is crisp and sharp. I would think there would be some deformation to the chamber throat shooting the 44 Mag. What say the experts out there? Here are a few pics.

Dave

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I would not shoot 44 mag in it. I don't even like to shoot 38Spl in 357 Max chambers. Bullets can reach suprising velocity in short distance before slamming into the chamber throat! Nice rifle! Shoot 444's in it!

picketpin

Buckeye
Commonly called a #2. ;-)

I've built some over the years. I actually like the lockup in receiver as opposed to the #1 locking up in the trigger guard. In the brush it's not hard to snag a #1 lever and pop the shell out. Any more I actually put a big red rubber band around the lever on #1s when hunting.

Mine aren't nearly as pretty they wear #1 wood but it's stuff that looked like a 2x4 to start with. I sand all the checkering off and use a AH fore arm or in one case trimmed the heck out of a SB and made it slimmer, shorter and with a Schnabel and all have the sling on a barrel band. I also remove the pistol grip giving it a straight wristed stock like English shot guns and some Savage 99s. It's easier with my wrist/hand/finger issues. Then simply paint them with textured paint and cammo them. Basically BEATER #2s

I use either #1 barrels or after market.I've never left the #3 barrel on one.

Out of curiosity, did they fill in the gaps in the barrel channel? #3 barrel and #1 barrel have slightly different tapers and diameters and it leaves a bit of a gap when you stay with the #3 barrel and use #1 wood.l.

The one time I left the #3 barrel (223) I used Accra Glas and filled in the gaps .But ended up pulling is and going to a "B" barrel. (I had to grind out the glass to get it to fit) ;-(

I currently have one in 222 Mag an "A", a 7-08 "A" with the factory "B" stainless 7-08 barrel cut to 20". That's the one with the Schnabel. 2 in 257AI, an "A" and a "B" and a 30-06 "B".

I have to admit your's is MUCH prettier than mine;-)

The best

Ross

There is a very small gap at the chamber taper, but barely noticeable. This rifle is in beautiful shape. I am pleased and anxious to take it to the range. :D A coincidence here; the SN is 132-55444 and it is chambered in 444 Marlin. 8)

Dave

picketpin

Buckeye
Dave: I've never figured out the grasp the lever on a #3/#2 in a heavy hitter and have it not just beat the stuffy out of your middle finger that rest behind the trigger guard/curve of the #3 lever.

I have a Browning 78 in 30-338 that I shoot 180s at elk with and it would just pound that finger under recoil. The lever is the same as a #3 lever. I finally had the rear portion bent to follow the pistol grip and the turned 90* at the very tip ans installed a small walnut lozenge like you see on many originall target Highwalls from the era.

BE careful in 444 it might bite.

It is pretty. Of course the prettiest woman I ever knew was a..................... ;-)

Ross

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I don't think shooting 44 Mag in that rifle will hurt it, particularly if you shoot milder reloads and save the full power stuff for the .444. I have a S&W 686 that has had about 15,000 .38 Specials through it and still chambers .357 rounds without the slightest difficulty. Clean the chamber after using the shorter cases and avoid using short case flamethrower loads and it will be no problem.

wunbe

Buckeye
Ross,

Your #2s are just like several I have except... One of mine is a 'lunch bucket' carbine pirated off the line that was first made up as a 7mm BR -- which I had punched out to 7mm -08. I liked that one so much I also had a fully custom 6.5 Swede and a 257 Roberts AI built with really stunning wood. The lack of the hideous, non functional, AH fore end tip and the straight, english style, shotgun butt stock make all the difference in aesthetics and ergonomics.

wunbe

picketpin

Buckeye
Mine have THE Worst wood I've gotten my hands on in nearly 50 years. SO it doesn't bother me to paint them. ;-0 Fall in the rocks and ding it and a quick trip to the hobby store and presto as good as "new". All my "Hunting" #1s wear AH forearms. It's slim enough I can get a bit of a grip on it with my bad paw. (Fused wrist, 3 short fingers and an elbow that doesn't bend all the way). Some but not all have straight "English" butt stocks. I never been able to bring myself to do the straight wrist thing to a really good stock. ;-)

RWT

5of7

Hunter
The 444 Marlin is about .015" larger at the rear end of the chamber than the 44 Mg is. That is going to make a very noticable bulge in a 44 Mg case. It probably would not rupture, but I certainly would be very nervous about it, if it was my gun.

And then the question of why arises and can only be addressed by the person who does it. 8)