~ Regarding Ruger American Rifle & Boyds....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bushwack

Bearcat
I like the rifle a lot but can't get passed the black synthetic stock. IMO, rifles should have a wood stock (OK...let's agree to disagree).

My question (as this will be my first rifle) is what concerns should I have replacing this stock with a wood stock from Boyd's? Should I expect a looser fit from the Boyd's stock? Would a Boyd's stock impede any functions of the rifle? or should I just choose a rifle that comes with a wood stock (i.e.: Remington 700 is my second choice). Thanks.

Fumbles

Bearcat
What do you want to do with it? Hunt, target shooting, plinking etc? What caliber are you looking at?

Wood being hygroscopic.....a wood stock will be more prone to changes in the weather affecting it.....due to moisture, humidity, lack of humidity etc. A synthetic stock will not have this problem.

Most stocks need to be bedded to really get a perfect fit of barreled action to the stock channel relationship.

If you plan on doing lot's of mods to the rifle, the 700 is the better choice. Way more "stuff" available.

In synthetic there are much better stocks than the Boyd's offerings. McMillan, HS Precision, Bell and Carlson, Manners etc. Again.....you are probably more likely to find a better selection for a 700 action. Either way, try Stockysstocks.

What about the Ruger Hawkeye Standard? It has a beautiful wood stock. Rather pay more at the outset and get what you want. Building rifles out is more for the long range precision, target, bench rest crowd. And the expense adds up really, really fast.

Remember you should think in terms of the optic you choose costing as much if not much more than you paid for the rifle. If money is an issue rather find the rifle you really want and save up for it and a good scope, than drop less money on something you will not be satisfied with and always wanting to upgrade somehow. Buy once, cry once.

In the end....the rifle that gets upgraded slowly will probably end up costing more in the long run.

loiblb

Single-Sixer
I like Ruger's M77's and No.1's stocked in wood too much to change. And think that they are priced right too.
The Ruger American with plastic stock may not find it's way in my gun safe.

groberts

Single-Sixer
I put a Boyds stock on my Remington 750 and it was beautiful. No problems at all. Besides not being able to find a wood Woodmaster, it was less expensive to buy the synthetic stock version and put the Boyds stock on than just buying the wood stock version.

Fumbles

Bearcat
groberts said:
....... it was less expensive to buy the synthetic stock version and put the Boyds stock on than just buying the wood stock version.

Makes sense!

22/45 Fan

Hunter
If you want a wood stock, consider getting a laminated one. They are real wood but far more stable and warp resistant than a single piece of wood.

Boyds makes several styles to fit the American and they are available in laminated wood.

96/44

Blackhawk
The standard Boyd's stock for the American is laminate. Should be nearly as weather resistant as a synthetic, but a heck of a lot more rigid and better looking.