PC9... trying to determine if I should keep it or sell it

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Techknowguy

Bearcat
Greetings,

I have a PC9 that I bought new back in 2001 that has never been fired. I bought it because I thought it would be nice to have a carbine that could shoot the same rounds as my handguns, but never ended up taking it out to the range. I like the way the PC9 "feels" when shouldered, but am not sure if I should keep it or trade it in at this point as I am currently looking to add a long range .308 bolt action to my collection. For what it's worth, I have been an owner and fan of Ruger products since I was a kid and currently own a 10/22 (that I've had for over 35 years) and a Mini-30. So, I'd like to hear some feedback from those of you who own, or have shot, the PC9... should I keep it and enjoy it or sell it? I am sure the trade in value (at my local gun shop) would be higher for it in "never fired" condition.

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. To me it kind of shoots like an overgrown Marlin model 60. I also have a Marlin Camp 9 but the PC9 is different. It seems to take the action a long time to complete it's business when fired. It takes a little getting used to.

As far as your gun, they were going for more money during the Obama scare than now. However it's still worth some coin and there are people looking for them. I would suggest you sell it on one of the Ruger forums or an auction site. No matter what you get it will be more than a dealer is going to give you in trade. Rule of thumb is that on the retail market it will probably bring twice what the dealer will offer you. If you have the original box and paper work, that will make it more valuable.

Shooter973

Bearcat
More like a GI carbine, than the Marlin. I have a good one, that I'll never let go.
Once it's gone it would be very hard to replace. Mine shoots 120-125 gr. cast bullets very well. Cheaper to shoot now than a 22 lr. I like mine a lot.

Techknowguy

Bearcat
Thanks for the welcome and feedback! The more I think about it, the more I believe I will regret letting it go. Definitely won't be a "snap" decision either way.

campbed

Bearcat
If it has been languishing in your gun safe for 13 years, I'd sell it. To me.

Mine is out for trigger work, but I love it and will keep it.

When I bought mine a few months ago, NIB PC9's were going for $700+ on auction sites.

Good luck.

I have a PC4. The .40 version of your little rifle.

These poor kids just never had a chance, as (speaking for my area) the dealers never stocked them. So, not being available to the general shooting public for sale, they were doomed to fail.

But for those of us us who own them, we know what a great and fun little gun they are! Who'da thunk that this little gun could shoot a pistol cartridge so accurately, with almost no recoil, so (relatively) quietly, and remain so clean while it's doing it?

If it was me...I'd hold onto it. Take it out and give it a try.

I've discovered over a lot of years that I'm married to very few guns. I could sell most of mine today and replace them tomorrow if I decided I made a mistake in selling any of them.

When I do sit back and think of what guns I would never part with, the PC4 is on that list.

And now, the more I think of this, the more flies find themselves in the ointment.

This is a gun that is not as easily replaced as some others. Mine is quite pristine, and I'd like it to remain that way. I wish I had a spare, just to shoot. This is the dilemma that safe queens are made of. :?

WAYNO.

JohnFLand

Bearcat
OP, does your PC9 have ghost ring sights? That version is usually worth a bit more.

Techknowguy

Bearcat
After sleeping on this, and reading replies, I am definitely going to keep the PC9. I just got 500 rounds of Remington 115 grain FMJ that needs attention! BTW, my PC9 does not have the Ghost Ring sights, but I am not really a fan of them anyway. So, any recommendations on a decent scope/mount for this application?

campbed

Bearcat
I just today received my PC9 back from Ruger support (trigger work, see another thread...)

I installed a Welgand RANCHP picatinny mount, and a BURRIS Fastfire III reflex red dot.

Pretty darn accurate at 50 yds sighting it in today. Will try 75 and 100 yds as soon as I can get back to the range.

Let me know if you want to see a pic.

Dregg

Single-Sixer
I have both the PC9, and the PC4. I wouldn't part with either carbine.
I only wish Ruger did a PC45.

campbed

Bearcat
ibdtzSeiukfJVk.JPG

Nice and low profile. I like it so far.

Dern, and I was going to call first dibs on the carbine.......

was going to suggest you go and get a price from your local dealer and then i was going to offer $100 more.....

Not that I was in the market for a 4th PC9... but sometimes when there is a deal.....

really need a 6th P95 or 89dc...

jettyjay

Bearcat
I have a PC9, I have had it for about six years or so. I like it a lot and would not sell mine.
Great fun shooter. JJ

1RugerFan_33

Single-Sixer
I know I wish I had one!

Ah well, the search is half the fun, I guess :roll: :wink: :lol: ...the right one'll come along, sometime...

I hope you keep, & enjoy, yours, for a good long while!

Nathan Frith

Bearcat
I have 2 PC4s, one safe queen with maybe 50 total rounds through it, and another ex-Maryland State Police gun that I picked up from CDNN a few years ago. I wouldn't part with either of them, and out of the myriad of guns I own, they are definitely in my top 5 as far as fun factor. Most folks I have let shoot them agree. They aren't tack drivers, but for what they are, they are very accurate with low recoil and are dead simple to operate. Too bad the design didn't take off, it's one the best shooting guns I have ever owned or shot. The fact that they were going for $700 NIB a short time ago confirms that I am not alone in that opinion.