What rifle/caliber for brown bear?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
dad11345 said:
The whole idea of a forum is for folks to express their opinions and take away what they want from the decision. Your post is your opinion and so is mine. The 223 comment is interesting though.

I agree that is the idea of a forum. But I'm not sure why you were taking shots at somebody with the "If you don't want to use a caliber up to the task, maybe you should confine your hunting to video games where there are no real life consequences."

dad11345

Bearcat
Three44s, What make and model is your rifle? I have been looking at CZ and Winchester.

Voyager28

Single-Sixer
I'm not sure why anyone would "leave the 30-06 at home". I own a number of rifles and a few that would be considered "bigger" than the -06. But, I will say this, with the proper ammo, there is nothing on the North American continent I would not hunt with a 30-06 except for coastal Kodiak bears in Alaska. Blacks, Browns, Moose, Elk or whatever. Use the proper weight and shape bullet and the -06 is plenty powerful enough.

Bob

black029

Single-Sixer
In all the forums I haunt, nothing gets the natives more restless than bear medicine. Especially which handgun to carry in grizz country....... just in case.

jettyjay

Bearcat
When I was 16 years old my dad bought me a Marlin 336c in cal.35 rem. It was advertised at the time that the .35rem was better in heavy brush. I am now 60 years old and still have the gun. I have fired it about a dozen times over the years, but just at targets in my yard. We have a backdrop where I set up targets from earth we removed to form one of our ponds. I have been told it was a better caliber for bear than the 30/30 or 30/06. Anyone familiar with the .35 rem ?

Chief 101

Hunter
Only thing I know about the 35 Rem is that my buddy shoots a Whitetail every year with his dad's old Rem pump gun in that caliber and it puts a big hole in one of these small critters. Big going in and really big coming out. It's a little much caliber for the short ranged WT he shoots with it. His dad used it for deer and elk.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I think you could use anything 30-06 or larger. Just hit the correct spot. That said, I would be carrying something a bit larger..... A 77 in .458WM for a bolt gun or a Marlin 1895 in .50 Alaskan.

kctgb

Bearcat
Why not the 35 Whelen? Outstanding round for big bears without the recoil of the big magnums. Midway has over fifteen different factory loads ranging from 180 grains for deer to 310 grains for the big stuff.

Just my humble opinion.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
My father bagged a polar bear once back in the mid '50's. Took two shooters with 30-06, 7 rounds to bring it down and it hit the ice about 20 ft from them. Never underestimate the desire to live of a bear (or a person for that matter). Bears is tough critters. If it were me, I'd prefer the biggest, baddest Brenneke slug I could lay hands on. That be:
RTEmagicC_Crush.jpg.jpg

I confess I also used my 375 H&H for my brown bear. I've had my Sako 375 since the mid 80's and it's in a McMillan stock. It's a great rifle, and I've shot 40 rounds in one setting with it multiple times. They are a great rifle. Between one of my 338 WM's and my 375 I shot a lot of game in Alaska in almost 34 years. Having said that when I went to Pt. Barrow for 4 years which is full of polar bears I took my 30-06. Having lived in Alaska for a lot of years I never needed a guide for brown bears. But if I were going to use one Phil Shoemaker would be near the top of the list. He suggests people use at least a 30-06. If you reload I'd use a 200 grain Nosler load out of it. If not then just stick with 180's. I don't know a guide that wants you shooting a big bear past 100 yards. Mostly we are talking closer. A 30-06 WILL GET THE JOB DONE. Spend your time shooting in various positions, and get to the point you can't be any more confident that you are going to hit where you want to hit on that bear at 100 yards. Then, GO HUNTING.

dad11345

Bearcat
What will get the job done and what is the best tool for the job is too different things. Whether you are here to haunt or share options its up to you to apply what knowledge you have in light of your own value system. In most cases advise won`t change your value system but, the consequence of your actions will.

nhdon

Bearcat
I seem to remember the American riflemen in the 1960s reporting about a gentleman returning home to find two browns piled up in his yard each killed with a 22long rifle round bet he sure learned to say yes dear

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
kctgb said:
Why not the 35 Whelen? Outstanding round for big bears without the recoil of the big magnums. Midway has over fifteen different factory loads ranging from 180 grains for deer to 310 grains for the big stuff.

Just my humble opinion.

I always wanted a 35 Whelen conversion on an M1 Garand from Shuff's. I think it would make a great camp gun up north.

With that said, I bought my 416 Ruger specifically with the intent to take it after big bears and Asiatic Buffalo someday.

Stump

If I were going big bear hunting I would use my 77 .338, #1 35 Whelen, or for nostalgia's sake maybe my Model 71 348 Win. I don't know the guides feelings regarding single shot rifles, but would really like to use the 35 Whelen as first choice. I shoot 225gr Accubonds in the 77 with sub-MOA accuracy. I do have a muzzle brake on that rifle because of bad shoulders too.

Dave