PC9 Problem - It went burrrrrrrp on me today...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

campbed

Bearcat
Team,

Took my used, new to me, PC9 to the range for the first time today after I field striped and cleaned it for perhaps the first time in it's life.

Four magazines and a few fail to extracts, will worry about that later.

Magaizine 5, bang, bang, burrrrrrrrrrp of about 5 rounds.

Any advice on where to start?
A random guy at the rang suggested a worn extractor.
Is this a replace a part fix I can do, or do I need to have a smithy fix?
If it is a part I can replace myself, any suggestions on where to get the part?

I have no idea round count for the carbine, and doubt any parts have been replaced. However, I did notice that the trigger is NICE, I was led to believe that they were on the heavy side. So, I wonder if someone did a trigger job or something. Not sure how I could tell.

Thanks.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Extractor would have nothing to do with anything going full auto. Something is worn or messed with. Not familiar with the inner working of the PC9s. But I suspect the sear is worn or been altered to a point that it is not resetting the trigger or holding the hammer at cocked. So when the bolt cycles the hammer is recocked but not held or the trigger is not holding the sear in turn allowing the hammer to drop. As soon as the bolt travels forward hammer releases strikes firing pin and the cycle continues. Other possibility is the firing pin could be stuck. As the bolt closes firing pin is protruding from the bolt face fires a round.

First thing I would do is disassemble the gun. Easy fix would be the firing pin issue. Remove firing pin make sure it can move freely in the bolt. Sometimes a lot of gunk builds up in the firing pin channel and a good cleaning will solve the problem. If that seems fine find a gunsmith. Whatever you do do not put the gun back together if the firing pin does not seem to be the issue. You do not want anything capable of full auto in your possession. If the firing pin seems like it could of been the problem give the gun a try. I would not try it out at a public range again full auto is not something you need people seeing you have regardless of why it is full auto. Still gives problems take it apart and head to the smith.

Ruger might still have parts for these. A real good smith could probable make the parts you need.

Unfortunately you do need to get it seen to quickly.

After it burped did you try it a second time?

Depending on where you are and who is also at the range that burp can get you in a place you don't want to be.

Because of the extremely heavy trigger pull on the pc9s & 4s some folks try and fix this.. Hope it is just a dirty firing pin channel.

campbed

Bearcat
Thanks guys.

Smithy it is.

I belong to a private range. Two others were there, one thought it was cool and he would keep it as is, the other was trying to get his AR pistol project to cycle and suggested a worn sear. We all ended up staring at it like a bunch of good ol' boys staring under the hood of an old Ford pickup.

When I cleaned it, I pushed on the firing pin and it did move freely.

The trigger, is NOT heavy. It seems light as in 4-5 pounds like my SIG in SA mode. I'm thinking that might be a place for the smithy to look as well.

I did not fire it again after the burp.

If anyone has a talented and Ruger experienced smithy in the Southern New Hampshire area, please let me know.

9x19

Hunter
If you're thinking Ruger, I'd call first to see if they have trigger/hammer/sear parts, because if they don't and they determine the gun is unsafe, they will not give it back (legal liability)... they will offer to replace it with something currently being made.

K1500

Single-Sixer
The dummy who thought it was cool can get locked up for keeping such a thing. It has happened before. Send it back to Ruger and they will fix it or replace it.

campbed

Bearcat
Update:

Talked to the folks at Ruger (Arizona site does carbine support) today about my issue. Once the tech who works on carbines returned from the range, he game me a call. My fears of no support, no parts, no return, loosing my investment in this firearm, all premature!

The parts for major components like stock, barrel, etc. are indeed NOT available. BUT I'm a lucky bunny, small parts such as hammer, springs, sear ARE still available.

The tech agrees that previous owner likely went too far on sear and/or trigger polishing and mods making it unsafe and "full-auto" risky. No biggie, ship it in and he'll replace the parts needed. Whoot!

Only downer is that a 12 pound trigger is in my future.

So I have my RMA, and sending it back for trigger work/repair. To say I'm excited and happy at this point is an understatement.

So far I have a very positive first impression of Ruger and how they stand behind their products (even when the customer is at fault).

More update once I have it back, and make a trip to the range.

Sunset_Va

Bearcat
By Campbed

"Talked to the folks at Ruger (Arizona site does carbine support) today about my issue. Once the tech who works on carbines returned from the range, he game me a call. My fears of no support, no parts, no return, loosing my investment in this firearm, all premature!

The parts for major components like stock, barrel, etc. are indeed NOT available. BUT I'm a lucky bunny, small parts such as hammer, springs, sear ARE still available."

That is the best news I have heard in quite some time. I have the PC9's big brother the PC4. I was thinking of selling it, due to Ruger and no one else having parts. I really like this carbine, mine is in excellent shape, and with a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot scope , mine is a tackdriver.

I've never quite understood the statement that parts are 'no longer available' can't a good gun smith make just about any part? Glad Ruger is going to take care of it... you know they might send it back with a better trigger anyway.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
My PC9 that I bought pre-owned and with some trigger mods did make a burst two-three times, though never when I was shooting it. Guess it has something to do with the trigger pull style? I wasn't able to make it go burst even when I tried.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
campbed said:
Thanks guys.

Smithy it is.

I belong to a private range. Two others were there, one thought it was cool and he would keep it as is, the other was trying to get his AR pistol project to cycle and suggested a worn sear. We all ended up staring at it like a bunch of good ol' boys staring under the hood of an old Ford pickup.

When I cleaned it, I pushed on the firing pin and it did move freely.

The trigger, is NOT heavy. It seems light as in 4-5 pounds like my SIG in SA mode. I'm thinking that might be a place for the smithy to look as well.

I did not fire it again after the burp.

If anyone has a talented and Ruger experienced smithy in the Southern New Hampshire area, please let me know.

Not sure where you are in southern NH, but you might try State Line Guns in Plaistow or even Kittery Trading Post in ME, maybe Rileys in Hooksett? I'm currently "doing time" in CA but am from southern NH/MA. I don't know if any of them have gunsmiths, but they may know of some. There are a few other shops on the 28 bypass, a newer store close to Rileys does Class III stuff and may know of one.

Al James

Hunter
blume357 said:
There used to be a guy here... named Coffee Pot... and he was in on the design team for the PC9's and 4's... that heavy trigger was intentional .... but they might be heavy but they are crisp.

I miss COFFEE POT! He was a valuable source not only on every thing Police Carbine but he also had a bunch of valuable information on the P series pistols. Seems that many older posts of his here have been "lost". Its too bad!