582 Series Mini-14....I'm Confused

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Go Navy

Bearcat
What is the 582 series Mini-14? How does it differ from 581 and 580? Why are people advertising 582 series with serial numbers beginning with 580? How would I recognize a 582 series in a gun shop?

Confused....I want to buy the latest and greatest Mini-14 stainless Ranch Rifle.

DGW1949

Hunter
Nothing there to be confused about.
The "582" you are refering to is the first part of the serial number.
A serial number beginning with anything else is...something else.

As far as "latest and greatest" though, that might be somewhat subjective.

DGW

Go Navy

Bearcat
Passtime said:
This may help.

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory/RI-NewMini14Ranch.html

Thanks...that does help. At least it tells us that Ruger began the 582 series in 2013. Normally they don't change those first three digits unless something was changed or improved over the previous series.

For example, I understand that Ranch Rifle receivers are, in addition to the usual Ruger scope ring cutouts, drilled and tapped for mounting a picatinny rail across the receiver top. Maybe that started in 2013. I wonder what else changed, if anything?

Go Navy

Bearcat
I can't post a link to this info because it is buried deep in Ruger's website and in drop down menus, but if you go to their Mini-14 page and click "order" on one of the Ranch Rifle minis, you'll find a new page for the one you are "ordering" and you can then click on "other variations" and the info will be revealed at last. A poor website design, I say.

But here's some info from the above:

5820: 16.12", no rings.

5828: 22" target, harmonic dampener

5846: ATI stock folder, 16.12", suppressor

5847-RUG: Tactical, rings, 20 round, suppressor, 16.12"

5848: Rings, tactical, 5 round, suppressor, 16.12"

5855-RUG: 18.5", 5 round, rings, blued w/black stock

The times, they have changed. Ruger offers a lot of different versions of the Mini-14. It looks to me like the big variable is the barrel length, with Ruger having responded to the market demand for an AR-length barrel. I personally want the 18.5" barrel, which doesn't add much weight, to get a little more out of the .223 caliber. The site also indicates a "sale" ending today, with several of these models "out of stock". We don't know if that means the distributors have them in stock and the factory is out of stock, and/or dealers have some or all of them in stock, etc. etc.

Passtime

Bearcat
This link has some good info: http://www.guns.com/2012/07/16/the-ruger-mini-14-one-of-the-greatest-firearms-of-the-past-century/

The new models will have a heavier tapered barrel as opposed to the older models that have a thin straight barrel.

This link may also help: http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#
Scroll down to the list of Mini-14"s. There are four links. Each one gives the serial number and years of production. I believe the first three numbers in the serial number describes the series.

groberts

Single-Sixer
Go Navy said:
...Normally they don't change those first three digits unless something was changed or improved over the previous series...
Not true. Those first three digits are just part of the serial number. The 4 digit model number is specific to the model and is readily available on the Ruger site, not hidden at all.
If someone is telling you they have a Model 582 with a serial number 580 1) they don't understand the model numbering system, 2) are not telling the whole truth or 3) you misunderstood what they were saying - for example, they could have a Model 5820 with a 580 serial number.
Ruger makes model changes in the middle of a set of serial numbers and doesn't adequately tell you about it. That's why if you are going to purchase a used one you should always get the complete serial number, not just the first 3 digits.

Go Navy

Bearcat
groberts said:
Go Navy said:
...Normally they don't change those first three digits unless something was changed or improved over the previous series...
Not true. Those first three digits are just part of the serial number. The 4 digit model number is specific to the model and is readily available on the Ruger site, not hidden at all.
If someone is telling you they have a Model 582 with a serial number 580 1) they don't understand the model numbering system, 2) are not telling the whole truth or 3) you misunderstood what they were saying - for example, they could have a Model 5820 with a 580 serial number.
Ruger makes model changes in the middle of a set of serial numbers and doesn't adequately tell you about it. That's why if you are going to purchase a used one you should always get the complete serial number, not just the first 3 digits.

Thanks, Buckeye. That clears up things for me. I thought the first three digits were just a part of the four digit model number.

chet15

Hawkeye
Go Navy:
The only reason Ruger went to a 582- prefix on the Mini's is because they ran out of 581- prefix numbers when they reached 581-99999. And the only reason they went to a 581- prefix is because they reached 580-99999 in the 580- prefix, see?
Now...Ruger did make changes from the original "Mini-14/Mini-30" series to the "New Mini 14/Mini-30" Series, so Ruger went from a 197- prefix to the 580- run of the New Mini's. But all old mini's with prefixes from 181- to 189- and 195- to 197- are basically the same, with minor differences and three known barrel rifling changes.
Chet15

Go Navy

Bearcat
chet15 said:
Go Navy:
The only reason Ruger went to a 582- prefix on the Mini's is because they ran out of 581- prefix numbers when they reached 581-99999. And the only reason they went to a 581- prefix is because they reached 580-99999 in the 580- prefix, see?
Now...Ruger did make changes from the original "Mini-14/Mini-30" series to the "New Mini 14/Mini-30" Series, so Ruger went from a 197- prefix to the 580- run of the New Mini's. But all old mini's with prefixes from 181- to 189- and 195- to 197- are basically the same, with minor differences and three known barrel rifling changes.
Chet15

Never knew that about the 58X series numbering, but it makes perfect sense. Thanks, Chet15. It's also good news because it tells us Ruger is selling a lot of newer Minis.

jor-el

Bearcat
On the perfect union website I believe members found out the 582 series has an updated firing pin design to accommodate the mini 30 and steel cased ammunition and Berdan primers. They probably modified the regular mini 14 pins the same way just for simplicity of production.

Latest posts