American 300 BLK

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
rangerbob said:
triggerpull, over the last 2 years I acquired 4 current production Winchester M92 saddle ring carbines in 357,44, 44-40, and 45 Colt. Even with my FFL, they were not cheap, but they are very well made. My wife says the 357 is hers, the 44 to match my Ruger 44 Flattops, the 45 Colt to match my Ruger Flat tops and Redhawk, and the 44-40 from watching too much Chuck Conners(The Rifleman) and John Wayne in El Dorado, Rio Bravo, etc. Bob :mrgreen:
Awesome collection--wish I had them! I've had to take this rossi apart and machine down all kinds of parts--it was built so badly its hard to believe there's any QC in their production. But it's a Taurus in the end--and I guess like any Taurus it's a roll of the dice--just that this one was a very expensive roll and I came up snake-eyes.

Kanook

Buckeye
I would love to see this in a 6.8spc also.

Considering Ruger has dropped the Hawkeye 6.8 and the Mini 6.8, I dought the will make this in 6.8

I have no use for a short action, ultra magnum, heat seaking rifle. This 300 BLK I do believe I have a use for. It should reach out further than my 77/357mag (would love to see this over the 300 BLK) that I will have to alter to put a can on.

We all have our own reasons on needs and wants, I do not need this but I'm interested. I will not limit it to subs only while hunting and the supers look nice.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I am looking forward to the 300 blk and think it will be a fun gun and great for the grandson to learn to hunt with and I think it will make a good deer rifle.

peyton

Single-Sixer
I will be buying five, one for each of my grandkids! I like the quality, plus low recoil will grow the next generation of shooters and hunters in our family.

wunbe

Buckeye
IMHO, Ruger wil never offer the 6.8 SPC II in any platform because to do so woidl be a tacit admission that they screwed the pooch by going with the 6.8 SPC Remington version in their earlier offerings. Remington made the original mistake, SAAMI seconded the blunder, and neither has backed away despite overwhelming evidence that they went wrong.

My two 6.8s -- custom rifles on a Mini Mauser and Ruger #1 platforms -- are both SPC II with 1 in 11 twists.

wunbe

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
wunbe said:
IMHO, Ruger wil never offer the 6.8 SPC II in any platform because to do so woidl be a tacit admission that they screwed the pooch by going with the 6.8 SPC Remington version in their earlier offerings. Remington made the original mistake, SAAMI seconded the blunder, and neither has backed away despite overwhelming evidence that they went wrong.

My two 6.8s -- custom rifles on a Mini Mauser and Ruger #1 platforms -- are both SPC II with 1 in 11 twists.

wunbe
I kinda doubt that--those issues regarding the initial 6.8 special were hardly unique to Ruger--and almost all of the "children" of the AR 5.56 platform involved "teething problems." The real question is just how good ballistics performance are you going to be able to get in a purpose-designed bolt gun given the contraints of a SAAMI spec for a cartridge that is intended originally to be used in a semi-automatic assault rifle (aka "modern sporting rifle"). In this case I believe Ruger is simply "piggy-backing" this new ranch American on the back of the established popularity for the blackout in the AR subsonic crowd--in my very humble and subjective opinion a very poor reason for basing a new design--especially in the "handy lightweight carbine" niche where they have some experience. The other thing is that this is their only (non-223) offering in the ranch--I'd hate to see the concept abandoned based on the blackout gaining traction before other more practical chamberings are offered.

rangerbob

Buckeye
I whole hearted agree that the Ranch in 300 Blackout will make a great entry level rifle for kids or adults. My reloading and professional LE associates have used the round deer hunting and it works, particularly with the Sierra 125 gr pro hunter and 110 gr. Barnes. I suspect that the new 125 SST and 125 Ballistic Tip would work equally well. Other calibers that would make sense would be the 6.5 CM and the 35 Remington. Bob!! :lol:

dfletcher

Blackhawk
DGW1949 said:
1 in 7 is an awfully-fast twist rate for such a slow-moving .30 Cal bullet.
Actualy, it's an awfully-fast twist for ANY .30 Cal rifle.
Remington tried that with their "Blackout" bolt-gun too, and I've yet to see one of those that would group well at all, regardless of what bullet/powder combo was tried.

I think that I'd wait 'n see how the new Ruger pans out before jumping on the band wagon....

....Just sayin'.

DGW

I thought I was going to have this one all to myself but darn, you beat me to it .....

I had (now there's a hint) a Remington 700 16" SPS in 300 AAC - was a gift from my boss. Heavy barrel, brake, HS Precision stock. I very much wanted to like the thing and was looking for a mild 30 caliber plinker. Something I could pop away with accurately around 100 yds and not use alot of powder, bullets in the 135 to 155 range. The Remington didn't work out well.

First, the rate of twist may be great for 190 to 220 grain bullets going subsonic, but not for 135s at about 2,200 fps which is what I was looking for - or anything light for that matter. And 300 BLK brass is a bit of an issue too.

Using cut down 5.56 brass presents a problem. What was the top part of the case body is of varying thickness and that's not good when it becomes the case neck. On some cases the sizing die would slip right through, on others it was fairly tight. And you could feel the difference in case neck tension seating the bullet.

I know there are fixes for this problem - buy good "original 300 BLK" brass. But, you're still left with a rate of twist that doesn't do well with lighter bullets.

BTW, my 300 BLK is being turned into a 6X45 Remington - scored a nice stainless barrel, being 5.56 based the bolt face and feed system remain the same.

dfletcher,

You said: First, the rate of twist may be great for 190 to 220 grain bullets going subsonic, but not for 135s at about 2,200 fps which is what I was looking for - or anything light for that matter. And 300 BLK brass is a bit of an issue too.

The hottest load in the Hornady load manual will only push a 125 - 130 grain bullet at 2100 FPS.

I am getting an inch at 100 with my reloads in my Remy 700 16" SPS in 300 AAC.

Hornady factory brass
CCI 450 primer
Hornady 125 grain SST
IMR 4227 17.1 grains
COAL 2.100
Lee Factory Crimp die - light crimp

Also getting an inch at 100 with factory 110 grain Hornady ammunition.

I do not questions your results but I just wanted to point out that your accuracy might not be the norm with this rifle or other rifles with the same twist rate.

Would like to get my hands on the Ruger and put some down range for comparison with the Remy.

Bill

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Buckeye Bill said:
dfletcher,

You said: First, the rate of twist may be great for 190 to 220 grain bullets going subsonic, but not for 135s at about 2,200 fps which is what I was looking for - or anything light for that matter. And 300 BLK brass is a bit of an issue too.

The hottest load in the Hornady load manual will only push a 125 - 130 grain bullet at 2100 FPS.

I am getting an inch at 100 with my reloads in my Remy 700 16" SPS in 300 AAC.

Hornady factory brass
CCI 450 primer
Hornady 125 grain SST
IMR 4227 17.1 grains
COAL 2.100
Lee Factory Crimp die - light crimp

Also getting an inch at 100 with factory 110 grain Hornady ammunition.

I do not questions your results but I just wanted to point out that your accuracy might not be the norm with this rifle or other rifles with the same twist rate.

Would like to get my hands on the Ruger and put some down range for comparison with the Remy.

Bill

Hi -

If I got groups like that I'd still have the darn thing. I really wanted to like it, the rifle was neat as heck to plink with - and my boss is a little PO'd that I didn't keep it as is. I had a few instances of very good groups with the Sierra 125, Hornady 135, using IMR 4227 as a matter of fact, and Blue Dot too. But it was just inconsistent for me.

I have an Encore barrel in 300 BLK, it has a 1 in 10" twist and shoots very well.

Hello,

I took mine out today and fired some of the 125 grain reloads at 100.

OK, it was a little windy today following the nice rain we had yesterday so that is my excuse.

The lowest of the group was the first round fired of the five. That is a solid 2 inch group.

Could have been outstanding but the last two opened up the group. I will call that one right about an inch.

4 shot group right at the seize fire. Nice group but the 5th round would have been very telling.

I took about 10 shots at a dirt clod on the side of the berm at 200 yards. I held just over it and was able to get solid hits at 200 consistently.

I enjoy Coyote hunting and I have found that in my terrain, most of them are able to get very close prior be me becoming aware that they are in the area. I think that I should be able to use this rifle very effectively at the distances that I have been taking shots at. I am a big Ruger fan and I will be keeping my eyes open for the new American in 300 AAC. I like the idea of a detachable magazine in the Ruger.

I purchased the Remy on impulse at my local WM due to a great price. A few days after, Ruger announces the American. :shock:

It is a fun caliber to reload for. Small amounts of powder are used and the 308 bullets I purchase can be used other rifles in my collection.

Bill

peyton

Single-Sixer
Over at 300 blackout forum a member purchased the rifle over the weekend!! I posted, asking for LGS details.
See last page.
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=91193

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
Rabon said:
I'm having a hard time getting excited about a cartridge a Coyote can out run.
I like the 300 blk--it's the best example I can think of of how to take a modern platform and reverse engineer it to perform like a 19th century lever gun. LOL.

just kidding guys--mostly. : )

dad11345

Bearcat
It is obvious this round and the 6.8 were designed to use the existing AR-15 platform without requiring much in modifications. With that in mind why try to make it what its not. There are much better choices for bolt guns.

peyton

Single-Sixer
The reason I like it is the lower recoil, take a young kid to the range and have them shoot a hundred rounds of 30-06. Not a good way to introduce a young shooter to a bolt action rifle.
Now do it with the 300 blackout, they will be asking if you brought more ammo!!
I want a mid range deer rifle, in Texas it is brushy, and in 30 years of hunting I have never had more than a 100 yard shot.
Now, if it is across the pasture, or across the canyon, that is where the .270 or 30-06 takes the crown.

dad11345

Bearcat
If you enjoy it that is all that matters. I gave up on trying to justify my spending on my hobbies a lot time ago. :mrgreen: