this gun is NOT NEW be careful if bidding

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
mohavesam said:
IMHO I've met hundreds of knowledgeable gun owners who all have different ideas on what NIB or "Mint" means ...

Hi,

What about some definitions of terms? Here's the way I was taught--add your own at will:

"New"--has never been sold to a retail customer ("retail" meaning the first person who fills out a 4473 on the gun.) May have moved from one wholesale customer (dealer) to another. May not be in original packaging.

"NOS"--purchased wholesale by a dealer for sale to a retail customer, still in that original dealer's inventory after sitting on the shelf long enough it's probably no longer currrently made or cataglogued.

"Unfired"--has never been fired past whatever factory firings have occurred for proofing, QC, getting a fired case for legal requirements, etc.

"NIB"--new, as defined above, still in factory box, most likely has factory papers as well.

"Like new"--someone bought at retail, took it home, may have fired it for function test but never used it otherwise. Observer would not be able to tell it visually from new, as defined above.

"Mint"--a candy one eats after dinner, a place where they make coins, and a thousand other definitions which make it a rather useless term. ;)

Any others?

Rick C

Voyager28

Single-Sixer
Rick Courtright said:
mohavesam said:
IMHO I've met hundreds of knowledgeable gun owners who all have different ideas on what NIB or "Mint" means ...

Hi,

What about some definitions of terms? Here's the way I was taught--add your own at will:

"New"--has never been sold to a retail customer ("retail" meaning the first person who fills out a 4473 on the gun.) May have moved from one wholesale customer (dealer) to another. May not be in original packaging.

"NOS"--purchased wholesale by a dealer for sale to a retail customer, still in that original dealer's inventory after sitting on the shelf long enough it's probably no longer currrently made or cataglogued.

"Unfired"--has never been fired past whatever factory firings have occurred for proofing, QC, getting a fired case for legal requirements, etc.

"NIB"--new, as defined above, still in factory box, most likely has factory papers as well.

"Like new"--someone bought at retail, took it home, may have fired it for function test but never used it otherwise. Observer would not be able to tell it visually from new, as defined above.

"Mint"--a candy one eats after dinner, a place where they make coins, and a thousand other definitions which make it a rather useless term. ;)

Any others?

Rick C

You forgot "Minty". Although, admittedly, it is a form of "Mint", it drives me up a wall even more so.

Bob

Rick Courtright said:
mohavesam said:

Hi,

Any others?

Rick C

So is NIB and New the same in your estimation, I consider a NEW gun that I have purchased and Never fired etc to be in NIB condition....do you disagree with my usage, I am genuinely curious as it does get confusing some times and I have purchased MINTY guns off of this forum that I would never consider being in MINT condition so I agree..that would is useless..

thought provoking subject....thanks.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Nh Rugerman said:
So is NIB and New the same in your estimation, I consider a NEW gun that I have purchased and Never fired etc to be in NIB condition....do you disagree with my usage, I am genuinely curious as it does get confusing some times and I have purchased MINTY guns off of this forum that I would never consider being in MINT condition so I agree..that would is useless..

thought provoking subject....thanks.

Hi,

Sorry to take so long replying--I don't follow this forum so much and forget to check back...

Anyway, to me, a gun can be "New" yet not "NIB" because it may not have the factory box (that being the actual one the gun left the factory in.) The gun may have become separated from that box along the way as it was displayed, moved from store to store (as in a chain) and mixed up with another similar box or who knows why else. It's still "new" though, if it hasn't been sold to its first retail owner.

So to me, "New" is unsold, with or without a box; "NIB" is unsold, with the added quality of including the box it left the factory in.

If we're gonna add the word "condition" to the equation, now we're adding personal judgment of what the gun is like (kinda like all those "excellent condition" used cars out there? ;) ), but it indicates to me it's NOT what the original term means. For example, to me, "New condition" means it's exactly as it was before the first owner bought it, but it's BEEN bought, so it's not "New" any more. Your "NIB condition" guns sound like guns that are exactly as they were before you took delivery, also have the original box, but since they're now yours, again the "new" part is off the table...

Is that close to what you had in mind?

Rick C