416 Scope Suggestions?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RALB

Bearcat
SCOPE FOR NEW 416 Guide GUN?

Any suggestions for a scope on the 416 Guide Gun? I just bought one for my son's birthday. Like me, he loves the gun. What a winner Ruger has. He's partial to Nikon scopes. I am worried about the short distance between the scope and his head. at least one person mentioned getting a couple of scope cuts with an adjustable power scope as there isn't any way to move it forward enough with the adjustment bell.

Thanks

RJ556

Buckeye
I think the fear of a scope cut is a definite possibility with a 416. If your son likes Nikon scopes, I think the Nikon Omega is the scope for him. You can get them in 1.65x5 power and 3x9. They have 5" of eye relief. Mount it all the way forward and you should be fine. If you need to get it still farther from the eye, install a spacer between the stock and recoil pad or a thicker recoil pad. But I cannot imagine not having a good safety margin with the 5" eye relief. I hope it works for him. RJ

dfletcher

Blackhawk
RALB said:
SCOPE FOR NEW 416 Guide GUN?

Any suggestions for a scope on the 416 Guide Gun? I just bought one for my son's birthday. Like me, he loves the gun. What a winner Ruger has. He's partial to Nikon scopes. I am worried about the short distance between the scope and his head. at least one person mentioned getting a couple of scope cuts with an adjustable power scope as there isn't any way to move it forward enough with the adjustment bell.

Thanks

I have a Nikon African on a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby. Also have a Leupold Rifleman on a No1 in 458 WinMag. Lots of eye relief - 4" to 5" IIRC.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
I don't have the Alaskan, but built a tang safety 77 in 416 Taylor a number of years ago. It carries a Leupold VX3 1.5x5 with the illuminated dot. I've never come close on getting a scope cut, but I am short. The scope has a lot of eye relief and has ridden something like five or six hundred rounds with no problems.
Bfly