My 1-st 77/44 rifle

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DaveShooter

Bearcat
Went up to my dealer's place yesterday. Saw he had some new M77/44's in stock.
I also looked at the M77/357 also to go along with my 6" GP100. Hope I made the right choice by going with the 44 for this Ohio upcoming Deer gun season. As Ohio just passed using straight walled cartridge rifles for Deer hunting.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Wonderful little rifles they are!

I had one of the early stainless models. Sold it but ended up getting one of the newer ones with the camo stock. Put a stainless Weaver 4x on it and it just ended up sitting in the safe. Finally got around to shooting it last weekend and was pretty happy with how it shot.

My earlier model seemed to follow the general rule that most 77/44 owners say...it shot heavier bullets better. This one shot everything very well. I tried 240 , 250 , 265 , 270 , and 300 grain loads. All were jacketed bullets.

My personal preference for a while has been the 265 grain Hornady soft points and a stout charge of H-110. Plenty of thump there for whitetails and I bet you'll be pleased with the 44 over a 357 come deer season!

DaveShooter

Bearcat
rugerjunkie said:
Wonderful little rifles they are!

I had one of the early stainless models. Sold it but ended up getting one of the newer ones with the camo stock. Put a stainless Weaver 4x on it and it just ended up sitting in the safe. Finally got around to shooting it last weekend and was pretty happy with how it shot.

My earlier model seemed to follow the general rule that most 77/44 owners say...it shot heavier bullets better. This one shot everything very well. I tried 240 , 250 , 265 , 270 , and 300 grain loads. All were jacketed bullets.

My personal preference for a while has been the 265 grain Hornady soft points and a stout charge of H-110. Plenty of thump there for whitetails and I bet you'll be pleased with the 44 over a 357 come deer season!

That sure is a nice looking set up ya got. Love your camo stock. Mine is black stock/stainless-Thanks all for the info :D

wunbe

Buckeye
I recently got one of the wood 'n blue 77/44s. If it shots anything like my original 44 semiauto, I'll be doing handstands --ugly ones.

wunbe

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Thanks. Im not sure if they still make the camo models or if it was a distributor model. Everything I have shot to date has been loaded for my Super Blackhawks. I need to do a little research on different loads and powders that may be better suited for a rifle length barrel. These might have a bit more potential with different powders other than H-110...maybe not? I have never really tried making loads that were for a rifle in the 44 mag.

DaveShooter

Bearcat
rugerjunkie said:
Thanks. Im not sure if they still make the camo models or if it was a distributor model. Everything I have shot to date has been loaded for my Super Blackhawks. I need to do a little research on different loads and powders that may be better suited for a rifle length barrel. These might have a bit more potential with different powders other than H-110...maybe not? I have never really tried making loads that were for a rifle in the 44 mag.
I think but don't hold me to it that Bud's gun shop had some camo stocked M77/44 in stainless. I didn't want to pay the Dealer transfer fee's so I put the Black stock stainless one in lay away. Can't wait to get it out of lay away and go play. I tell my ole lady.
Boys as we grow older our toys sure do get more expensive- :lol: :lol: :lol:
-Oh just like Her shoes and clothes do- :lol: :lol: :lol:

jbtardy

Bearcat
I've got one in stainless and black synthetic but I haven't done much shooting with it yet. I hope to try it
this year here in IN. I have taken 6 or 7 whitetails with my #3 single shot in .44 magnum and can testify to
the effectiveness of the .44 in a rifle for deer. Much better choice than the .357.

DaveShooter

Bearcat
Guess I'm gonna have to do some reloading again. Haven't done any in sometime reload that is-I know get off my lazy butt-lol

DaveShooter

Bearcat
jbtardy said:
I've got one in stainless and black synthetic but I haven't done much shooting with it yet. I hope to try it
this year here in IN. I have taken 6 or 7 whitetails with my #3 single shot in .44 magnum and can testify to
the effectiveness of the .44 in a rifle for deer. Much better choice than the .357.
I always heard the 44 mag was a thumper on deer and black bear-Congrats on the 6 to 7 whitetails. I've always used the shotgun crossbow or muzzleloader to get them whitetail woods critters-lol- Gonna give it a try with this 44 ruger bolt gun this year or season here in Ohio.

DaveShooter

Bearcat
wunbe said:
I recently got one of the wood 'n blue 77/44s. If it shots anything like my original 44 semiauto, I'll be doing handstands --ugly ones.

wunbe
Hey I wanna see them there handstands ole buddy-lol :D

Major T

Blackhawk
I don't think I have met a deer that a 240 grain will not take. An acquaintance drew camp duty at elk camp once upon a time. After the chores were done (way after daylight), he picked up a .44 mag. lever gun for a stroll. Less than a half mile from camp, he killed a nice bull with a 240 SP, at about 50 yards.

Jack

DaveShooter

Bearcat
Major T said:
I don't think I have met a deer that a 240 grain will not take. An acquaintance drew camp duty at elk camp once upon a time. After the chores were done (way after daylight), he picked up a .44 mag. lever gun for a stroll. Less than a half mile from camp, he killed a nice bull with a 240 SP, at about 50 yards.

Jack
Great story loved reading it..... :)