RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IBW Holster help
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:18 pm 
Hunter

Seriously considering buying one of the new small Ruger .45 autos, and being a "Bit Large" struggling with the best CCW options.
Been pocket carrying a .380 auto for a long time, but assume the larger .45 may tend to pull my pants down.. lol
Any way, been looking at these holsters..
Any comments ??
As always thanks much,
Cheers,

Post subject: Re: IBW Holster help
PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:01 pm 
Hawkeye

I only have one IWB holster. It's a knock off of the original "tuck the shirt tail in" design. Mine has a leather backing that does actually conform to one's body profile and becomes more comfortable with use. I'm not a fan of this type holster but it does have advantages if you can get past the first 2-3 months of use. I live in an open or concealed state and don't have the concerns over a bit of "pistol peeking" that others may have.
My opinion of the backer pictured is that it will never conform but will continually grate on your skin.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:47 pm 
Hawkeye

Mobuck wrote:
I only have one IWB holster. It's a knock off of the original "tuck the shirt tail in" design. Mine has a leather backing that does actually conform to one's body profile and becomes more comfortable with use. I'm not a fan of this type holster but it does have advantages if you can get past the first 2-3 months of use. I live in an open or concealed state and don't have the concerns over a bit of "pistol peeking" that others may have.
My opinion of the backer pictured is that it will never conform but will continually grate on your skin.

it does have a resemblance to a cheese grater :wink: . Certainly not something I'd pick, but I don't like plastic anyway.

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:56 pm 
Blackhawk

Look into a belt designed for carry if you don't already have one. Sagging or pulling down your pants is usually the belt's fault and not the holster.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:39 pm 
Buckeye

My comment is try before you buy any CCW holster or make sure you can return it if not fitting you correctly. You may find some pinch your side or rub your skin raw. Some maybe to damn difficult to quickly draw the gun and just as important reholster. For me that is real important and you should practice enough to be smooth and fast. As said a proper belt is a must or suspenders to hold your pants up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:25 am 
Single-Sixer

Get a leather one. Plastic hurts! And look at a Springfield XDS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:36 am 
Hawkeye

I too vote for leather and here is my second suggestion.... soak the inside of the holster well with some type of oil... I carried an LC9 for about 2 years and this is how I finally fixed the rusting problem in the summer time*. I carry with an inside the waste band leather holster but often it is just inside the belt but outside the pants....

One of the things I've learned over the years is as the morning progresses I have to keep tightening my belt, doesn't matter if I'm carrying or not.. seems things inside my love handles shift and I just keep having to cinch up.

*But I do have to say I figured out another way to get around the slide on the LC9 rusting as well as the magazine.... I switched to Sigs.....

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:46 am 
Hawkeye

I carry OWB, but have a good HD belt and snug it up good. I never tuck my shirt in and like Mobuck we can carry concealed or open so no issues if it "prints" some. I don't have a problem anymore with my pants pulling down, as I've found the proper adjustments with the belt, and it is tight, but I've gotten used to it.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:11 pm 
Hunter

blume357 wrote:
I too vote for leather and here is my second suggestion.... soak the inside of the holster well with some type of oil... I carried an LC9 for about 2 years and this is how I finally fixed the rusting problem in the summer time*. I carry with an inside the waste band leather holster but often it is just inside the belt but outside the pants....

One of the things I've learned over the years is as the morning progresses I have to keep tightening my belt, doesn't matter if I'm carrying or not.. seems things inside my love handles shift and I just keep having to cinch up.

*But I do have to say I figured out another way to get around the slide on the LC9 rusting as well as the magazine.... I switched to Sigs.....

I took a suggestion from an older fellow that used to post on another forum. If carrying a blued firearm give it a coat of Johnson's Paste Wax. The wax is a barrier between your body & your firearm to keep your sweat off of it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:39 am 
Hawkeye

Like I told a guy last week, I quit carrying blued handguns. Now I only carry stainless/synthetic semi-auto or SS revolvers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:38 am 
Hawkeye

I have one with the leather back. When it arrived, the first thing that came to mind
was the leather absorbing sweat. Humm, said I. My solution is some paraffin wax
rubbed in the inside (body side) then heated with a heat gun (hair dryer could work).
I put two coats of wax on it before wearing it the first time. ZERO problem with it
getting wet.

Harder than all get out to get on (not because of the wax), but once it is in place,
it is very comfortable.

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:47 pm 
Hawkeye

Someone makes an IBW holster similar to what you showed, except it's leather which I think would be more comfortable. I always wear an undershirt and think that would be important for it to be worn comfortably. I don't want anything rubbing against my skin. I forget the name of the manufacturer, but it's very close to what you show, with out the cheese grater effect.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:10 pm 
Hawkeye

I concur with leather holsters. I've tried quite a few over the years especially in the past few years here in Oregon where I carry concealed. I like deSantis Summer Heat and Inside Heat holsters. I don't know how large they come but I have one for my EC9s and one for my S&W Shield .380 EZ. I used to carry my SR40C IWB with a soft leather holster, that worked okay but I tend to prefer molded leather holsters. I tried a IWB Kydex plastic holster a few years ago but couldn't stand the thing.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:23 am 
Single-Sixer

Crossbreed has one that is leather with plastic (can't spell Kydex) and I find comfortable. I use this one for my LC9. It's my church holster as I carry OTW every other time. I also wear a T shirt so sweat/comfort is acceptable and a untucked shirt finishes my church ensemble while ITW carrying.

I don't want a pickle, just want to ride my motorsikle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:58 am 
Hunter

I've yet to find an IWB holster that I can comfortably wear, and I think its because I am too thick around the midsection. I also found that for me, drawing from an IWB holster seemed a bit more challenging that drawing from my preferred method of carrying in my right front pocket. For me the issue is even a leather holster rubbing against my skin. I have to keep the belt quite tight to avoid excessive sagging of my pants, and with the belt tight and the leather against my skin it doesn't take but a few minutes for me to be feeling uncomfortable. When I am wearing an undershirt of any kind, then I can wear an OWB holster pretty comfortably, and can access my gun a lot easier than when it is in my pocket. I have a few OWB holsters, all leather, that have a very simple design, and with no retaining straps, but I have never had a problem with a gun coming even a little bit loose in the holster. In part because I am fatter than I would like to be, I always wear my shirt outside of my pants, so concealing an OWB holster and gun is not a problem. I have never really understood what advantage an IWB holster is anyway.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell