RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: California dilemma
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:01 am 
Hunter

On vacation in California (to visit my son and his family, otherwise would not likely come to this state) and thinking about the choices regarding concealed carry. Of course I am not legally allowed to carry here, but being caught unarmed in a life threatening situation (however remote that possibility is) is not very appealing. Since I have never once been stopped by law enforcement in all the years that I have been legally carrying, I am quite confident that even doing so here in CA would not be problematic even if illegal, but then again, should such an event take place, I would be in deep doo-doo for this violation. I consider myself a reasonably law abiding individual, but on the other hand, I know that concealed means concealed. So there is my dilemma.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

Post subject: Re: California dilemma
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:10 am 
Buckeye

Is it worth risking a conviction of a felony if caught ?
In the end it might not be a felony but it will sure cost you if you are caught.
Personally I wouldn't , but on the other hand I have no reason whatsoever of ever going to California.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:16 pm 
Hawkeye

I carry a cane in those forbidden zones. It's not a gun but it's not fly paper either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:43 pm 
Hawkeye

vito wrote:
So there is my dilemma.

Any you didn't consider that BEFORE going?

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:19 pm 
Hunter

Of course I thought about it, but seeing my son and two grandchildren overrides my dislike of CA.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:28 am 
Hawkeye

Just do what you do when you go to Rockford for a quiet afternoon of shopping.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:55 pm 
Single-Sixer

Don't go to Cali period .
The highway runs both directions .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:44 pm 
Hunter

Carrying is a very important thing to me, but other things are also important, like being with family. I would not choose to live in many places due to their restrictions on gun rights, but visiting for short periods is another matter.

Retired

― George Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:37 pm 
Blackhawk

I think the chances of being convicted of a felony are greater than the chances of needing your gun to defend yourself. I haven't seen any data to back it up, but my firm conviction is that most victims of murder are those who participate in a criminal life style. I am a staunch defender of CC, but I believe it should be done within the law. Otherwise we are not much better than those we carry in order to protect ourselves from.

Remember the story of the nurse with a CC permit who took a wrong turn and ended up in NJ? She eventually got a deal instead of a felony, but it was a near thing and turned her life upside down.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:41 am 
Hawkeye

Part of me agrees with Clovishound, then another says if a law is wrong I really should not have to obey it as long as it does no harm.... even though I might have to defend myself against that wrong law.

We've had wrong laws in this country before and often the only way they were struck down was to break them.

I know a person who is visiting several national and state parks right now... it is perfectly legal for that person to conceal carry in those places, out side... but illegal to go into a building. Where is the logic in that even if you agree with many of the silly laws? That person has decided they will just carry concealed in those buildings (museums and visitor centers) and hope for the best.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:13 pm 
Hawkeye

Look, I live in California. The crime rate isn't all doom and gloom as many would have you believe. Just keep good situational awareness and you'll be fine.

Trust me, if you are from out of state and have a CCW and get caught carrying here they will make your live a living hell. A cane or stout walking stick is about all you can get away with everywhere.

Don't screw up your right to carry scoffing at another states laws. It just isn't worth it.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:50 am 
Hunter

I’m back now in the United States. Crossed the border from CA into AZ and my LC9s is back in its holster and on my person. I admit that at no time in CA did I feel the need to be armed, but then again, most of us go our whole lives and never need to be armed, but a few do have that need arise. And none of us know who those few will be. I almost got used to not having the weight of the gun on my belt or in my pocket, but I am very glad to have to tighten my belt a bit now that I am armed again.

FWIW, the LA area has great weather, but some really bad problems. For one thing, the traffic was the worst I have ever experienced. And that includes when I grew up in NYC and now living near Chicago and sometimes going into that corrupt city. But the street traffic in the part of L.A. where I spent most of my time, in Santa Monica and some beach side communities lake Playa del Rey, are one endless traffic jam. Add to that the homeless that are everywhere, and many if not most of them seem to be mentally ill, high on drugs, or both. The closest I came to wishing I was armed was when a homeless man, muttering and spitting at the air around him, clearly had a metal pipe in the back pack he was carrying. He never pulled it out, nor threatened me or any of my grandchildren that I was with, but I did think that being armed would have made me more comfortable.

Retired

― George Orwell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:35 pm 
Hunter

"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:51 pm 
Hawkeye

vito wrote:
I would not choose to live in many places due to their restrictions on gun rights...

How long have you lived in Illinois?

NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:14 pm 
Hunter

I don’t choose to live here. I feel I am stuck right now. But in IL I legally carry every day, so I have fewer complaints.

Retired

― George Orwell