RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:06 pm 
Single-Sixer

I have a bad habit of having backups, not only with guns but holsters too and most everything else. I live in Kentucky and opened carry till 5 years ago when I got my permit to conceal a weapon. I bought a Desantis holster then, a dual carry 2, I bought two of them so I would have one for IWB and one for owb without having to change on the clip. I carry everyday 6-12 hours and carry 7 day a week, both holsters still look great without any wear to speak of. with that though I have now bought two more and put them up as back up. I even think I might need backup to my back up. I am on a tight budget and can't save to get a high dollar holster, i have tried and somehing comes up to get my money. But I can't complain on the Desantis, so my question is this, do any of ya'll have backup holsters? and about how long will a decent leather holster last? thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:07 pm 
Hawkeye

How long a holster will last is a function of how hard you use it.

I've see several pictures on this forum where a holster was "toast" in one year.
The flip side of that coin is a Milt Sparks (high end) that my SIL has been using
for twenty years (admittedly not every day, but most). If you have it where it will
get bumped, scraped, and very dirty, most every time you use it, plan on short
lives. Conversely, if you protect it a bit and keep it clean, it can/probably-will last
decades.

Another one you may consider is a Kydex holster. There are some good ones,
or you can make your own and really add protection for less than the cost of a
good leather one. - - - The primary advantage (to me) of a Kydex is that any
moisture is kept away from the gun.

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:22 pm 
Hawkeye

The Bianchi I bought for my SP101 when I switched to crossdraw over a year ago is still in excellent condition. A little wear on the lip where the cylinder has abraded the finish but still tight. In fact still too tight to snap closed w/o using two hands. Some weeks I wear it all 50-60 hours and some only 5-6.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:01 am 
Hunter

I haven’t bought backup holsters yet. But I have different options for some guns closest I come to duplicates is right and left hand versions of the same holster.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:11 pm 
Single-Sixer

Back in the day when duty gear was all leather, I was told of the concept of Rational Replacement . The idea is after a certain amount of carry every day, all day , all forms of weather , leather gear will weaken , either stitching, or leather itself . Even if it "looks" ok , it becomes more prone to ripping or tearing , say if wrestling in a retention situation . The sugguested Ration Replacement was 5yrs of daily use .

On the flip side , shooting and hunting partner #2 for a period of time really liked Fobus Paddle for his H&K ( or was it his Sig ? ) . Not excessively cheap per se , he actually like the design, and balance of the things .

They would split apart in 1yr of daily use . That's just standing there, fall apart from gravity .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:38 am 
Hunter

How long will a holster last? It depends.

Back in 1960 I bought a Bianchi, model 99, Border Patrol style holster for my then S&W model 28 revolver, 4 inch, .357 cal. When the S&W model 29, .44 mag cal revolver became available I bought it and still carry it every day in that same holster since the model 28 and 29 are the same size frame.

About 18 years ago the metal lining in the holster cracked, permitting the holster to flex just below the belt loop. I tried to order a new model 99 holster from Bianchi but was informed that that the 99 model was no long made.

So I took the holster to our local saddle shop with a request to repair it with an new metal lining installed. The saddle maker took the holster apart, took the broken metal lining to the local sheet metal shop, had a new metal lining made to exact fit, and put the holster back together as originally made. When I retrieved that holster it looked new.

I still wear that holster, carrying my .44 S&W model 29 every day. How long will it last? I don't know. I have always treated that leather holster with the same care that I treat my saddle that is much older than the holster. They will probably out last me although that is a question. I remember that when I was still a young sprout, about 80 years ago, I thought and lived, like perhaps most teenagers, that I planned to live forever. So far my plan is working.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:59 am 
Hawkeye

I've got to find the holster my father wore for his 38 S&W I have it some where.... I was about 5 and we drove into town and he wanted a holster for the gun and went to a gun shop. Good leather holster with belt and cartridge loops was more than he could afford back then.... I think he said $25. This was in the early 60's. On the way back we stopped at a 'five and dime' store to get me a toy.... there on a rack was a nice cap pistol with leather holster and cartridge loops... for I think about 3 or 4 dollars. My father bought the revolver for me and then added some leather to the holster belt so it would fit him. He carried that for another 60 years.

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:24 pm 
Hunter

I have “back up” holsters galore, because I spent years buying holster after holster trying to find the perfect one. So I have a collection of holsters for many of my guns, including ones I never carry but might someday, and a bunch of holsters that I would use tomorrow if open carry were legal where I live. I’ve only been carrying daily for about five and a half years, and have yet to have any holster show any signs of significant wear. Most of the time I also DeSantis pocket holsters as that has become my primary and most comfortable form of concealed carry. After I die I told my kids to consider opening a holster museum with my big box of holsters.

Retired

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:07 am 
Hawkeye

I use kydex when training but for everyday use I really like leather.....

CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:15 am 
Blackhawk

I have two holsters for my EDC. One inexpensive molded leather that was relegated to the closet after a couple years of wear, and my Alien Gear. The Alien Gear has a lifetime warranty, so I'm not worried about longevity. At this point it doesn't owe me anything anyway.