RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:54 pm 
Hawkeye

I'll see if I can work that in tomorrow. The muffler that's on it now is much longer than the dedicated 9mm can will be.

tested today
W/o the muffler, this gun isn't nearly as loud as a 4" pistol barrel and w/muffler, it's on the order of a 22lr pistol shooting sub-sonic ammo. Definitely seems to be what I had in mind. Can hardly wait to get the dedicated Glock mag lower ready to use.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:28 am 
Hawkeye

The little bugger has more recoil than one would expect(especially considering I hadn't expected ANY noticeable recoil). A 4# 9mm handgun theoretically would have negligible recoil. I have the dot optic zeroed and getting cloverleafs at short range but the recoil seems out of whack. Maybe need an even heavier buffer. There's no interference or over travel but sure as heck a solid jolt with every shot.
Concept seems sound and accuracy is impressive--just need to do some fine tuning and hopefully achieve a more pleasant shooting experience.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:55 pm 
Hawkeye

Mobuck wrote:
The little bugger has more recoil than one would expect
(especially considering I hadn't expected ANY noticeable recoil).

Where does the empty brass end up?

~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
~ Don't handicap your children by making things too easy.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 pm 
Hawkeye

"Where does the empty brass end up?"
Most of the cases land on the shooting bench. Since this is a straight blowback, the ejection pattern isn't an indicator of much except the relation of the ejector to the bolt face. I've read that excessive recoil is the result of the buffer smacking the end of the buffer tube too hard and can be reduced by increasing buffer weight and/or buffer spring rate. I don't have the time right now to fiddle with this project much more. It's taken longer to accumulate and assemble the parts than I intended so now I have too many other things on my plate. It works as is and some things may change when we find time to hog out the dedicated 80% lower so I'm going to have to set it aside until grain harvest and deer season is finished.